There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
The Birmingham Males

Hairy tummy Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 02:05 PM by Hairy tummy )

Wasnt somebody saying in various posts that skorro would attack nhenha on sight, a week or so a go. Just shows what us people know. Its all so interesting, hope nhenha can pull through

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Yes. He is doing what male lions do. And that is being a very opportunistic dangerous animal.
Not running around the reserve making friends everywhere.

That he is eating with them now does not mean he is going to adopt the subs as his own, join a coalition with Skorro or is working on a comeback to be the king again like half the lion community seems to believe. The next time he meets them may be far less friendly. If he recovers that is.

The wild is a harsh place. Its under no obligation to play favorites. One day you win and the other days you lose.
I am being pessimistic becouse all things concidered, there just isnt much to be positive about.
Nor am I obligated to close my eyes to the negative impacts a lion may have.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 02:01 PM by Tr1x24 )

(01-24-2023, 01:53 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Wasnt somebody saying in various posts that skorro would attack on sight, a week or so a go. Just shows what us people know. Its all so interesting, hope nhenha can pull through

Yea they where, Tumbela now meet with both NK and Nhenha, and didn't attack neither, as expected.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

(01-24-2023, 11:57 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 11:49 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: No doubt he is taking the opportunity with Skorro being in a food coma.

I hope the girls arent getting to relaxed around him.

I really think you show a lot of negativity or dislike towards Nhena. It show's in your recent posts about him.  He's just doing what lions do and he's a veteran just trying to get through the way a lion knows how to. You write regular posts wishing the worst for him.

There's many other lions documented that have done way worst than Nhena.
I have noticed that too, its rather disappointing. You shouldn't take sides when it comes to these magnificent animals,  we are lucky just to be able to watch their story unfold
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Lonbot2023 Offline

If he can avoid the PCMs for the foreseeable future and keep himself fed, given the distance he’s already travelled he might have a good chance of repairing, all be it with a new limp and a few scars.
1 user Likes Lonbot2023's post

Contributor

There is a difference between not taking sides and wilfully  ignoring the negatives.

Do I want every lion or animal to find a way to peacefully and live very long lives.. yes.  Is this going to happen.. no.

In reality the success of one lion often means the demise of another. By rooting for one lion to survive one takes just as much sides as by rooting for its demise.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

I have seen new footage of Nhenha as he makes his way to the carcass ( I unfortunately do not have permission to share) and his body strength is quite good.   His limp is quite pronounced.   But it looks like he can make a good recovery but probably carry the limp a long time.   His back is visibly scarred from what must be the second altercation.   

If the video gets published by other means, I will share here.
8 users Like criollo2mil's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(01-24-2023, 06:06 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Video version.

The Warrior has NOT lost his Will to Fight 

Looks like there is a fresh blood on his back hmmm
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-24-2023, 07:21 PM by Tr1x24 )

(01-24-2023, 06:46 PM)Potato Wrote: Looks like there is a fresh blood on his back hmmm

He had injuries on the back, in the same area, already after first fight, so im not sure that these injuries are from 2nd clash :

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...0230556750

@criollo2mil  There is no evidence that 2nd fight happened, at impala kill, it was only said that Nhenha got chased away off the kill by PC males.

Does he have new injuries?
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Contributor

There is no real good footage to confirm either way.
Concidering he wasnt crippled back then as many feared. It wasnt a severe second clash in any case.

That wound does not seem to be healing well. So the blood is likely a combination of the wound reopening and mostly saliva from cleaning.

I wouldnt worry that much about it.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Australia Horizon Offline

(01-24-2023, 11:57 AM)1999gc8 Wrote:
(01-24-2023, 11:49 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: No doubt he is taking the opportunity with Skorro being in a food coma.

I hope the girls arent getting to relaxed around him.

I really think you show a lot of negativity or dislike towards Nhena. It show's in your recent posts about him.  He's just doing what lions do and he's a veteran just trying to get through the way a lion knows how to. You write regular posts wishing the worst for him.

There's many other lions documented that have done way worst than Nhena.

Some have positive things to say and others have negative things to say. Can’t hijack and make this a Nhenha fan club thread.
3 users Like Horizon's post

Contributor

(01-24-2023, 07:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: @criollo2mil  There is no evidence that 2nd fight happened, at impala kill, it was only said that Nhenha got chased away off the kill by PC males.

I can assure you, on great authority a second altercation occurred.   I have first person account from a prominent guide I trust who has footage and witnessed the entire event.   I can’t divulge much more on who but the accounts follow pretty much what has been rumored (to a point).   

Nhenha was caught by surprise a the impala kill stolen from the leopard by 1/2 PCMs.    He didn’t immediately flee (which was maybe in error). So during the commotion of trying to keep the kill, the second PCM came and both did attack and left new injuries.   It wasn’t an extended fight and to the guide’s surprise the PCMs simply lost energy to finish him off.    Left him 

The new injuries in the new footage I saw today (recorded yesterday) show a much more scarred upper back wounds.   I need to compare to the video of him limping before.   To see if they’re there.  

I am hoping the video is released somehow today so everyone can study it.    But I see a very strong lions still.   Very badly limping.   But not at death’s door.    My assumption.  Is that he’s had more to eat since altercation than just his sighting.   He looks too well.   

Id also would like to comment about the video posted by Neil which was published yesterday.   That video isn’t new.   It was recorded a few days after that second altercation.   I say so just to place context to what he looked like then, till now.
8 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

(01-24-2023, 07:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...0230556750

In comparison to this video, today he looked more ‘spry’. Same type of limp in same legs but he’s moving with more purpose (towards the kill

As I compare both sightings. It seems to me they didn’t necessarily give him new injuries (maybe a few punctures in back). But likely opened up wounds already.

The guide’s words were ‘Hes a tough SOB’.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

(01-24-2023, 07:34 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: There is no real good footage to confirm either way.

The guide recorded the event…but I do not believe it will ever be seen. I didn’t ask or press him in that matter.

It’s just the feeling I got.
Maybe with the way he’s recovering, he has a change of heart and makes it part of a future report. I do not know tbh
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Hairy tummy I don't see anything wrong with having favorites as long as you don't disrespect other lions.

It's human nature, everybody has favorites.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post