There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Kovu of the Birmingham Breakaway males, seen at Shindzela. Image by Gary Wong, June 30, 2024

*This image is copyright of its original author
10 users Like T I N O's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(06-27-2024, 11:09 PM)Mwk85 Wrote:

So happy to have an update on Mongawane coalition. Thanks!
4 users Like afortich's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Both Mongawane seen patrolling together

Attached Files Image(s)

11 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-04-2024, 06:10 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Both Mongawane seen patrolling together

Most excellent news, and on this day. I know it was mentioned, with that recent photo of BYM, that TYM was nearby, but it is wonderful to finally get some photographic evidence.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

They are impressive males, I wonder which pride they control, their territory must be very close to that of the Tintswalos and not that far from Mbiris.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-04-2024, 08:07 PM)Mapokser Wrote: They are impressive males, I wonder which pride they control, their territory must be very close to that of the Tintswalos and not that far from Mbiris.

Their territory is prob north of Orpen/H7, east of Ngala and southern Timbavati, in Kruger.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-04-2024, 06:10 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Both Mongawane seen patrolling together

Fantastic news!!
4 users Like T I N O's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Wow, they both look in such a great condition. Osindale's limp appears to be better. Thank you for the update bud @criollo2mil.
3 users Like afortich's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Giraffe male babysitting:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-04-2024, 08:07 PM)Mapokser Wrote: They are impressive males, I wonder which pride they control, their territory must be very close to that of the Tintswalos and not that far from Mbiris.

Maybe just some small breakaway from Skorro pride. 

Btw I find that odd that Mongawanes didn't even contest Tintswalo males for Skorro pride. Such a big prize was left by Mbiris open to grab and they did not even try to do so.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-05-2024, 02:01 AM by Potato )

Against all odds Mapoza is still alive and living his life. With the Black Dam males moving north more frequently we though his days are over, but he is doing a remarkable job to avoid these other dominant males. Very impressive!

In this video you can see him and the rest of the Monwana pride going for a drink at one of the dams. As you can see they were full belly after finishing the remains of a buffalo kill the night before. Always great to see this incredible male lion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSicgxBj...GuideJordi
5 users Like Potato's post

adamstocks16 Offline

Was it ever established what happened to Mapoza’s brother back in the day when he disappeared? I’m sure I’ve read there was a strong possibility he was hunted which sadly was still going on in Timbavati at the time. His brother was actually the bigger and more impressive out of the two aswell.
2 users Like adamstocks16's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-05-2024, 01:58 AM)Potato Wrote: Btw I find that odd that Mongawanes didn't even contest Tintswalo males for Skorro pride. Such a big prize was left by Mbiris open to grab and they did not even try to do so.

Maybe they did, we dont know, theres no info what is happening there, except sightings.

Mongawanes "emerged" there from deeper Kruger after quite a long time of no sightings around same time when Tintswalos made move towards that area aswell, so possibly Mongawanes where also attracted by Skorro females in estrus.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-05-2024, 10:49 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Maybe they did, we dont know, theres no info what is happening there, except sightings.
I think we would seen at least some glimpse of it like Mongawanes with some Skorro female or somethink. There was quite a lot sightings of Tintswalo males with Skorro pride and not a single one of Mongawane males with or even near this pride.
1 user Likes Potato's post