There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

BigLion39 Offline

(07-10-2024, 10:56 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Also, theres no "evidence" that supports this theory that darker maned males are more dominant then blondish ones.

I also think this after watching many videos for so many years. I highly doubt the color of hair is related to test levels. Not sure where this "theory" came from and what evidence researchers collected but I've nnever seen blood samples taken from males and compared. I've seen blonde mane males like Haile from the Muguro coalition in the Mara beat out his darker maned brothers all the time. Mdogo, a darker maned, smaller maned brother usually got beat out by Osidai and  Haile which both had lighter manes back in the day. 

I think its more of a genetic and age thing. Now if someone takes blood samples and can show evidence ill for sure change my opinion on this.
4 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

(07-11-2024, 12:53 AM)Rabubi Wrote: There are studies that were conducted by Peyton West and Dr Craig Packer, experts in lion behavior and ecology, that indeed indicate that the more testosterone male lions have, the darker the mane becomes (of course, factors like genetics and age play a role but a positive correlation between mane colour and serum testosterone has been observed nonetheless

That "blog" reveals nothing, it just reafirms their claims to darker manes equal higher test levels. Although  Packer is a great lion resaercher to my knowledge nobody took blood samples to confirm these claims. People shouldn't make claims like this, especially being a so called "expert". They should have evidence to back it up. Looking and watching lions can lead us to great and pretty accurate theories on most things but IMHO it's not the best idea to claim the "testosterone" theory without testing levels.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-11-2024, 02:15 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I agree with Rabubi but idk if the Mbiris are a perfect example of a lighter-maned male being more dominant. While there was a report of Shaka dominating Scar over mating rights of the Mayambula females back in 2018 or 2019, there was another one later where the brothers fought over the Skorro females, Scar won and chased Shaka off.

These, to my knowledge, are the only reports of mating rights fights between the 2 that we have, so it's 1-1.
1. There was also case when they try to takeover River pride and another one in Klaserie drift and in both those cases Shaka was mating hile Scar was left to watch from a side.
2.  Regarding that case with Mayambula pride: Guides said in general that Shaka was more dominant, it wasn't single sighting in which Shaka just happened to win a mating rights.
3 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

1/2 Mongwane males

10:30am
3 Lion stationary
H7, 900m E of S106 W entrance
Near Orpen

Photo credit: EbbieSwemmer1209
Kruger National Park
July 2024

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like T I N O's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(07-11-2024, 02:15 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I agree with Rabubi but idk if the Mbiris are a perfect example of a lighter-maned male being more dominant. While there was a report of Shaka dominating Scar over mating rights of the Mayambula females back in 2018 or 2019, there was another one later where the brothers fought over the Skorro females, Scar won and chased Shaka off.

These, to my knowledge, are the only reports of mating rights fights between the 2 that we have, so it's 1-1.

Still, we have footage of Scar mating with 3 Mbiri females at the same time while the guide said Shaka was still around, so it could be another instance where Scar was more dominant. Out of the 6 Mayambula males, I think at least 4 resemble Scar, though this doesn't mean much necessarily.

My impression - and that's only an impression - is that Shaka was more dominant earlier on while Scar became more dominant later on in their career.

My point was that the darker-maned male's dominance isn't set in stone
3 users Like Rabubi's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Stunning Osindile Mongawane:

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-14-2024, 01:12 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Stunning Osindile Mongawane:

He looks absolutely amazing!
5 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(07-14-2024, 01:12 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Stunning Osindile Mongawane:

He is looking absolutely incredible! What a champ!
5 users Like T I N O's post

Mwk85 Offline

8 users Like Mwk85's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-15-2024, 11:18 PM by criollo2mil )

The Nephew Birmingham YM in Shindzela
Credit: Johan Smalman

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-16-2024, 04:36 AM by criollo2mil )

Osindile - Birmingham male of the Mongawane

Credit:  Tamara Schmidt, 2024.

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like criollo2mil's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(07-16-2024, 04:31 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Osindile - Birmingham male of the Mongawane

What a journey this boy has been through. He looks magnificent!
4 users Like Rabubi's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-16-2024, 04:31 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Osindile - Birmingham male of the Mongawane

What a stunning male he has become, and how big he is, he has finally filled into that massive body he has had since he was a youngster. Both he and Torchwood have turned into incredible looking males!
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

He looks in such great condition. One of my favorite lions alive.
Nice pic bro
2 users Like afortich's post

China Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(07-11-2024, 11:34 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(07-10-2024, 10:56 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Also, theres no "evidence" that supports this theory that darker maned males are more dominant then blondish ones.

I also think this after watching many videos for so many years. I highly doubt the color of hair is related to test levels. Not sure where this "theory" came from and what evidence researchers collected but I've nnever seen blood samples taken from males and compared. I've seen blonde mane males like Haile from the Muguro coalition in the Mara beat out his darker maned brothers all the time. Mdogo, a darker maned, smaller maned brother usually got beat out by Osidai and  Haile which both had lighter manes back in the day. 

I think its more of a genetic and age thing. Now if someone takes blood samples and can show evidence ill for sure change my opinion on this.

Mane color plays a role in mating rights, doesnt it? Females prefer darker manes so naturally darker maned males are higher in terms of mating rights then blonde maned males.
3 users Like Mdz123's post