There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States adamstocks16 Offline

Birmingham Male (Osindile) looks like spitting image of his father Brutus in that recent photo. Glad to hear him and TYM are both doing well and seemingly thriving with their pride and cubs.
3 users Like adamstocks16's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

The 2 Mbiri males in the 4th slide, amazing to see them in good condition even while empty-bellied:

Thanks @Ngonya for sharing this post.
9 users Like Mapokser's post

Mwk85 Offline

Second or third sighting I've seen of the Monwana Pride without Mapoza. Don't know if he's just keeping a very low profile or if he's left the area altogether. His older sons are still with the pride, I believe.

4 users Like Mwk85's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

Not sure how recent this footage is, but the Monwana pride hunt a warthog. Some pretty unpleasant camerawork in the middle but decent footage. No Mapoza male.

5 users Like NLAL11's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-23-2024, 11:58 PM by criollo2mil )

Ross Still hanging strong

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-23-2024, 05:12 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Ross Still hanging strong

Absolute legendary duo! I, personally, cannot think of a duo coalition who was/is more successful than those two boys. I am sure there are some, "there's always a bigger lion", even if we are not aware of them, but these boys epitomize what it means to be a successful coalition. They have also given us their fair share of entertainment over the years as well, with their Odd Couple sort of behavior, they have completely opposite personalities.
7 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Avoca young male

4 users Like afortich's post

( This post was last modified: 07-23-2024, 11:28 PM by adamstocks16 )

(07-23-2024, 09:59 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Absolute legendary duo! I, personally, cannot think of a duo coalition who was/is more successful than those two boys. I am sure there are some, "there's always a bigger lion", even if we are not aware of them, but these boys epitomize what it means to be a successful coalition. They have also given us their fair share of entertainment over the years as well, with their Odd Couple sort of behavior, they have completely opposite personalities.

This might be part of the reason why they’ve been so successful, and also perhaps a strong factor why they’ve chosen to settle down with only one pride instead of expanding any further. 

If you take Mbiris for example, Scar and Shaka are both similar personalities but they’ve been constantly on the move, getting into fights and causing chaos wherever they go. Both of them legendary duos of the Timbavati.
2 users Like adamstocks16's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

3 users Like Potato's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2024, 02:11 AM by GhostCatP-22 Edit Reason: Spelling )

(07-23-2024, 09:59 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

There’s a cool hypothesis/theory about how and why personalities develop and are different. They theorized or concluded that living in groups is difficult and having different personalities helps the group as a whole. If lions were all super aggressive or really submissive that wouldn’t work in nature. The Ross males different personalities but strong bond and intelligence really are special. Mohawk and Blondie Avoca also come to mind as a duo with a loving bond but different personalities. 

I apologize for not using the actual science terms….
3 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2024, 02:55 AM by Tr1x24 )

(07-23-2024, 11:28 PM)adamstocks16 Wrote: This might be part of the reason why they’ve been so successful, and also perhaps a strong factor why they’ve chosen to settle down with only one pride instead of expanding any further. 

Actually they didnt settle with 1 pride, their journey kinda goes like this:

Avoca pride -> BBreakaway/Birmingham pride -> Birmingham pride -> BBreakaway pride.

But they are always around the same area (Ngala/Shindzela) since 2015/16 pretty much.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

@Tr1x24 yeah that’s right, I was mainly referring to their long association with the Birmingham Pride though like you say there is also the breakaways and their early days with the Avoca Pride. Speaking of the Birmingham Pride what’s their current composition are Mbiris with the core pride and Ross with the breakaways?
1 user Likes adamstocks16's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Yes, Mbiri with core and Ross with Breakaway.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

The four BDMs resting together

2 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-25-2024, 12:30 AM)afortich Wrote: The four BDMs resting together

We haven't heard much about the other SBDM, who went north, and left his brother behind. Last I knew, he was up in these boy's neck of the woods.