There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

I was always of the opinion that the conquering Londolozi and Mala Mala is just a matter of wish for N'was and always considering that as an option, especially since they are done matting with Styx lionesses. If for someone recent events which took place in Londolozi were suprising, it doesn't mean it was suprising for everyone. Funny enough even like one week ago I have said that N'was can easly expand to the north and I was flamed by user Slayer saying that it is obvious that Birmingham males strong presence in the region is keeping N'was at bay and I totally do not understand how lion dynamics work lol. Coming back to the topic of Black Dam males: I know that with nomads you can not predict thinks untill they stricke a claim. Tomorrow they can just move off to totally different arena, but for now Ross males territory seems to be most likely option to try takeover for the BD males in my opinion because of mentioned in my previous comment reasons.

Regarding Birmingham and Birmingham lionesses than to be honnest I do not track wildearth too much so I am not sure, but aren't just some of the Birmingham lionesses having cubs? There aren't much updates on Birmingham breakaway pride, but do the at all have any cubs at all?
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-14-2021, 10:02 PM)Potato Wrote: Regarding Birmingham and Birmingham lionesses than to be honnest I do not track wildearth too much so I am not sure, but aren't just some of the Birmingham lionesses having cubs? There aren't much updates on Birmingham breakaway pride, but do the at all have any cubs at all?

From Birmingham pride, only 2 oldest females dont have new cubs (not sure why), and breakeaway also has 2nd generation of cubs with Ross males, dont know how many or who because theres very little info about that pride.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-14-2021, 10:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 10:02 PM)Potato Wrote: Regarding Birmingham and Birmingham lionesses than to be honnest I do not track wildearth too much so I am not sure, but aren't just some of the Birmingham lionesses having cubs? There aren't much updates on Birmingham breakaway pride, but do the at all have any cubs at all?

From Birmingham pride, only 2 oldest females dont have new cubs (not sure why), and breakeaway also has 2nd generation of cubs with Ross males, dont know how many or who because theres very little info about that pride.

Still even a single female in oestrus can bring attention of males around and I hold to bets I made in ealier post.

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 01:00 AM by Slayerd )

(11-14-2021, 10:02 PM)Potato Wrote: I was always of the opinion that the conquering Londolozi and Mala Mala is just a matter of wish for N'was and always considering that as an option, especially since they are done matting with Styx lionesses. If for someone recent events which took place in Londolozi were suprising, it doesn't mean it was suprising for everyone. Funny enough even like one week ago I have said that N'was can easly expand to the north and I was flamed by user Slayer saying that it is obvious that Birmingham males strong presence in the region is keeping N'was at bay and I totally do not understand how lion dynamics work lol. Coming back to the topic of Black Dam males: I know that with nomads you can not predict thinks untill they stricke a claim. Tomorrow they can just move off to totally different arena, but for now Ross males territory seems to be most likely option to try takeover for the BD males in my opinion because of mentioned in my previous comment reasons.

Regarding Birmingham and Birmingham lionesses than to be honnest I do not track wildearth too much so I am not sure, but aren't just some of the Birmingham lionesses having cubs? There aren't much updates on Birmingham breakaway pride, but do the at all have any cubs at all?

Except that you were wrong, the very reason the Nwaswitshaka pushed into Londolozi is because the Birmingham Males stopped having a presence on Londolozi. The recent storms and rain completely wiped their scent off the reserve causing the Nwaswitshaka to confidently push in. I also told you that territories aren't borders but presence and my point was proven. Because of Bboys lack of presence, the Nwaswitshaka thought they could push. I didn't see them pushing south into Bboys Mala Mala territory, did you? Only time will tell if their confidence will build and they'll push into east or south into Bboys Mala Mala territory or if the Bboys will eventually push back west. A Londolozi ranger told me that summer/autumn time, the Bboys spend less time in their western territory because the weather pushes the prey eastwards so who knows what will happen next. Trying to make me look wrong and you right does not work here. Sorry to tell you.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-15-2021, 12:59 AM)Slayerd Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 10:02 PM)Potato Wrote: I was always of the opinion that the conquering Londolozi and Mala Mala is just a matter of wish for N'was and always considering that as an option, especially since they are done matting with Styx lionesses. If for someone recent events which took place in Londolozi were suprising, it doesn't mean it was suprising for everyone. Funny enough even like one week ago I have said that N'was can easly expand to the north and I was flamed by user Slayer saying that it is obvious that Birmingham males strong presence in the region is keeping N'was at bay and I totally do not understand how lion dynamics work lol. Coming back to the topic of Black Dam males: I know that with nomads you can not predict thinks untill they stricke a claim. Tomorrow they can just move off to totally different arena, but for now Ross males territory seems to be most likely option to try takeover for the BD males in my opinion because of mentioned in my previous comment reasons.

Except that you were wrong, the very reason the Nwaswitshaka pushed into Londolozi is because the Birmingham Males stopped having a presence on Londolozi. The recent storms and rain completely wiped their scent off the reserve causing the Nwaswitshaka to confidently push in. I also told you that territories aren't borders but presence and my point was proven. Because of Bboys lack of presence, the Nwaswitshaka thought they could push. I didn't see them pushing south into Bboys Mala Mala territory, did you? Only time will tell if their confidence will build and they'll push into east or south into Bboys Mala Mala territory or if the Bboys will eventually push back west. A Londolozi ranger told me that summer/autumn time, the Bboys spend less time in their western territory because the weather pushes the prey eastwards so who knows what will happen next. Trying to make me look wrong and you right does not work here. Sorry to tell you.

Funny how in such obvious case that I was correct and you were wrong you still refuse to admit it. Presence of Birminghams in the region does not change anythink, same as presence of even more dominant Avocas did not change anythink. Birminghams are simply not enough of a force to hold back N'was.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 01:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

@Slayerd is right here, N'ws didn't push thru Bboys territory, as per Londolozi rangers Bboys where not present there for quit some time and that area was "vacant" in a way, they might in future, but for now they didnt. 

But this is "Lions of Timbavati" thread, no place for discussing this..

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Londolozi is nomansland or rather nolionsland. It lies on the border of the various coalitions and prides. 
None of the coalitions there has a permanent presence as they move in and out from the other reserves. 

Nor does it have a pride. So an already established coalition has little use for the territory permanently. 
But it is a good spot to wander around in as its proximity to three prides means there is a good chance of running into a willing lioness. 

This makes me feel the Nwas are not out to take anything over. If they were the most obvious target would be the Mhangeni. Most likely they were just feeling adventurous for mating opportunities without the long term responsibilities of a take over.

Though I just noticed this is about Timbavati? So perhaps we should leave this topic to the Sabi thread?
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 02:46 AM by Tr1x24 )

(11-14-2021, 11:14 PM)Potato Wrote: Still even a single female in oestrus can bring attention of males around and I hold to bets I made in ealier post.

By that logic, then Avoca pride should be more adequate choice, no pride males, closer to them and all females will be in estrus soon, some already are and if they are 4,or even 6, they can easily outmatch Torchwood and BYM.. 

I dont see any reason why BDM's would specifically target Ross males and Birmingham prides over other prides and coalitions in the area, like Avocas, Giraffes and even Monwanas (Xikukutsus where not seen with them and Mapoza for quite some time, lone Mapoza can be easy target). 

And in the end, we actually dont know in which "maturity state" BDM's are, they will just turn 4 yrs, they are 1 year younger then Torchwood/ BYM, who only now showing sign of interes into territory, BDM's are even 4-5 months younger then Plains Camp males.. As far as we know, they might not be contesting for territory for another half a year to a year, so this speculation about BDM's takeovers are way too early..

No point of discussion this until BDM's actually show signs that they are "ready"..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Gavskrr Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2021, 02:47 AM by Gavskrr )

(11-14-2021, 05:23 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: A lot of young lone males around Timbavati atm, Sark male, Guernsey male, Giraffe male, Skorro (Orpen) male.. Hope some of them can form a coalition. 

Btw, any info of remaining Monwana male?

I think it's presumable to say that the Monwana male must have died over time without any information about him so I remember the last time he was seen he had several marks on his face he may have been in more trouble
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-15-2021, 02:47 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: I think it's presumable to say that the Monwana male must have died over time without any information about him so I remember the last time he was seen he had several marks on his face he may have been in more trouble

He was last seen in Shindzela if i remember correctly.

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Woah, chill out everybody, There is no need to talk about the N’was males in this thread. This place is specifically for the lions of Timbavati and you guys are off topic here. N’was males thread and Sabi Sands thread are better places to discuss about them.
5 users Like Mdz123's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Hi guys. Regarding the constantly 'Back and forth' with N'waswitshaka, Birmingham males and the Northern Avoca males. I''ll process saying that this thread is not the appropriate one to debate about those coalitions. There's 'Lions of Sabi Sands' or 'Avoca male lions' Thread(s) among others. Once being said that, Of course, Also would be grateful if those thread(s) won't be flood the with non-stop discussions. Which could end with guest and members of WildFact losing interest in the forum. The aim of WildFact is provide good sources and information. Often, long debates may make lost a bit of that.

Regards: Timbavati
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(11-15-2021, 01:55 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Londolozi is nomansland or rather nolionsland. It lies on the border of the various coalitions and prides. 
None of the coalitions there has a permanent presence as they move in and out from the other reserves. 

Nor does it have a pride. So an already established coalition has little use for the territory permanently. 
But it is a good spot to wander around in as its proximity to three prides means there is a good chance of running into a willing lioness. 

This makes me feel the Nwas are not out to take anything over. If they were the most obvious target would be the Mhangeni. Most likely they were just feeling adventurous for mating opportunities without the long term responsibilities of a take over.

Though I just noticed this is about Timbavati? So perhaps we should leave this topic to the Sabi thread?

Most definitely. There's plenty of threads to talk and debate about those coalitions. Like, Lions of Sabi Sands, Avoca male lions, Lion tales etc. 

Like that we will avoid any confusion with the members. Since those lions not are in Timbavati anymore. And N'waswitshaka males never have been in Timbavati as well.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

BigLion39 Offline

So nothing on the last Monwana male? Such a shame. Hope he pops up.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Update:  2/5 Vuyela males are back in Rockfig Safari Lodge. 
4 users Like lionuk's post