There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One of the Ross males
Credit: Ken Haley

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Hercules in all his glory
A Trilogy son!
Credit: Michelle Storm

8 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-07-2020, 07:51 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Hercules in all his glory
A Trilogy son!

I would say it is the best looking male lion in Kruger at the moment!
5 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-07-2020, 09:07 PM)Potato Wrote:
(09-07-2020, 07:51 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Hercules in all his glory
A Trilogy son!

I would say it is the best looking male lion in Kruger at the moment!

Hercules and Skorokoro are by far the most handsome lions that I've see since the death of the sohobele male, which also was a beautiful male lion
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-08-2020, 03:08 AM)Herekitty Wrote: The other three Jacaranda males. The first guy is the large blonde maned male who often partnered Skye, he was the tallest of the Jacarandas and chracterised by a nick in his left ear. He died after taking injuries in a fight in in Nov. 2017, the Motswari rangers suspected that the three subadult Western pride males had ganged up on him. Image by Chad Cocking, March, 2015.

Image by Christof Schoeman at Simbavati

Image by Esmareth Knight at Ingwelala, 2016.

The next was the smallest and most scarred of the brothers. He disappeared late 2016. Image by Chad Cocking, Motswari March 2015.

Image by Buddy Eleazer, Motswari, 2014.

The last boy was easily identified by his distinctive amber eyes and darker mane. Image by Kayla Stevenson, March, 2014.

He He was often seen with the smaller, scarred male. Images by Esmareth Knight at Ingwelala, 2016.

Great stuff.
Just a correction on the post that you have posted the other day.
Skye not is related with the Jacaranda males.
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

Somewhat related to the whole "old animals are ok to kill" narrative, ran into this article that talks about older elephant males and the social role they play:

Quote:Their analysis revealed that adolescent males almost always traveled with other males, and that older bulls were most likely to be found at the head of the line. The elephants otherwise did not follow a strict age-related pecking order, suggesting that older males are acting as leaders.

Because of their larger tusks, older bulls tend to be targeted by both poachers and trophy hunters. Trophy hunters have justified this by pointing to the assumption that male elephants are redundant for a population. The new findings, however, “underline the dire consequences of removing the oldest, largest males from elephant populations,” said Karen McComb, an animal behavior scientist at the University of Sussex in England, who was not involved in the study.

Old male lions may have their uses too. They often end up pairing with inexperienced young lions (specially solo ones) and guide them through critical stage in their development. We should resist the assumption that eliminating them does not have consequences.
2 users Like Matimbalani's post

Australia Herekitty Offline

Junior Nkuhuma at Manyeleti. Image by Africa Vacations, posted September 8, 2020.

5 users Like Herekitty's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2020, 03:42 AM by Timbavati )

(09-08-2020, 03:31 AM)Herekitty Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 03:12 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 03:08 AM)Herekitty Wrote: The other three Jacaranda males. The first guy is the large blonde maned male who often partnered Skye, he was the tallest of the Jacarandas and chracterised by a nick in his left ear. He died after taking injuries in a fight in in Nov. 2017, the Motswari rangers suspected that the three subadult Western pride males had ganged up on him. Image by Chad Cocking, March, 2015.

Image by Christof Schoeman at Simbavati

Are you sure? He was seen many times with the Western pride with the large blonde male and both were referred to as a Jacaranda males, and according to Charlie Lynam from the Ingwelala Trust he was one of the four brothers, and there are many photos of him with the other three boys as subadults in Motswari. It is difficult to make allthese connections, but I'd like to see your research before I accept it.

101% sure

Here are a few pics of three Jacaranda males, the fourth is the biggest, which was present with a lioness a few meters away of them
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Three Jacaranda Males-Upcoming Legends of the Timbavati !
The fourth Male was present a couple of meters away close to the female..
At the moment the Jacaranda Pride is 4 Males and one Lioness.
Credit: Christof Schoeman
6 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The four Jacaranda males
Credit: Keith Conelly

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The older Mapoza male with prob one of the Giraffe lionesses.

Image credits: Nic Nel

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A legend who gone very soon!
The Huge Black Dam Male glancing back to see if the Giraffe pride is following him
Image credits: Dave Maddison

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The legend called Ring!
Ring born into the Black Dam Pride in the year 1996 what a legend!
photo credits: Willem Bosch

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The last roar of Black Dam Male.
I write this post with a very heavy heart...Many of you might know that I spoke of this lion as my favorite lion for many years. I saw him evolve from a young unsure animal, to the undisputed King of massive stretches of the greater Kruger national park... I have had hundreds of hours in his magnificent presence where he never failed to make me gasp, exclaim in excitement, become teary eyed and be completely covered in goosebumps as I marveled at his magnificence! I will miss you my friend. You were a true legend. Rest in peace.

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A very great old photos of the old Birmingham male "Smudge nose" and prob one of the Machaton lionesses at Umlani Bushcamp
photo credits: Steve Offner