There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States Matimbalani Offline

(09-02-2020, 01:34 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Update on Giraffe male and Black Dam Pride :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEnOTpsgdqi/...uqt468e4gh

So Giraffe male and few females moved into private noncomercial property called Sandrigham, thats why theres little sighting of them at Thornybush..

Quote:Our speculation is that atleast 2, possibly 3 of the females gave birth over the past 4 or so months, and it was Giraffe Males inability to chase his 6 sons away that caused the females to seek out an area where their cubs would be safe from the 6 young males. They thus moved and found den sites in Sandringham, and Giraffe male followed them, as he should, to provide a safe environment for the females to have their cubs.
I didn't think that subs would be able to intimidate their father even with numbers. They usually lack the confidence to fight back as a group.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-02-2020, 01:34 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Update on Giraffe male and Black Dam Pride :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEnOTpsgdqi/...uqt468e4gh

So Giraffe male and few females moved into private noncomercial property called Sandrigham, thats why theres little sighting of them at Thornybush..

Does anyone know how these "private non-commercial properties" work? I ask as I am trying to figure out if these properties allow hunting, if it is even lawful, wondering if these lions are now in danger of becoming trophies, ala Cecil. I honestly am not sure how all of that works over there, but clearly hunting is permitted in some areas, I am trying to figure out how to differentiate amongst them, if that is even possible.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2020, 10:40 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-02-2020, 10:36 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Does anyone know how these "private non-commercial properties" work? I ask as I am trying to figure out if these properties allow hunting, if it is even lawful, wondering if these lions are now in danger of becoming trophies, ala Cecil. I honestly am not sure how all of that works over there, but clearly hunting is permitted in some areas, I am trying to figure out how to differentiate amongst them, if that is even possible.

As it says in the report, poaching are more common there, as prob any human can get into it without much of a problem.. Its not "officialy" allowed, but yea..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-02-2020, 10:46 PM by BA0701 )

(09-02-2020, 10:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 10:36 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Does anyone know how these "private non-commercial properties" work? I ask as I am trying to figure out if these properties allow hunting, if it is even lawful, wondering if these lions are now in danger of becoming trophies, ala Cecil. I honestly am not sure how all of that works over there, but clearly hunting is permitted in some areas, I am trying to figure out how to differentiate amongst them, if that is even possible.

As it says in the report, poaching are more common there, as prob any human can get into it without much of a problem.. Its not "officialy" allowed..

Ok, yes, the officially is what I was wondering, such as private reserves that exist to allow hunting. I guess the "There's never a 100% safe zone in Africa" comment says all we need to know. Thank you @Tr1x24

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-02-2020, 10:42 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Ok, yes, the officially is what I was wondering, such as private reserves that exist to allow hunting. I guess the "There's never a 100% safe zone in Africa" comment says all we need to know. Thank you @Tr1x24

https://www.news24.com/amp/news24/southa...d-20170824

So, in that "reserve" was definitely some "fishy" buisness thru the years.. As we can see on this article..

Its owned by some Italian multimillionaire, and theres definitely a ton of "illegal" poaching going on there.. 

Hope we dont see Giraffe male on some asshole's wall soon..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-02-2020, 10:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 10:42 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Ok, yes, the officially is what I was wondering, such as private reserves that exist to allow hunting. I guess the "There's never a 100% safe zone in Africa" comment says all we need to know. Thank you @Tr1x24

So, in that "reserve" was definitely some "fishy" buisness thru the years.. As we can see on this article..

Its owned by some Italian multimillionaire, and theres definitely a ton of "illegal" poaching going on there.. 

Exactly! You nailed it my friend, thank you for finding this, it confirms my fears to be well founded, unfortunately. Thank you @Tr1x24 !!

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Black dam male in all his glory
Image credit: Ryan Jack

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-03-2020, 04:04 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The Black dam male in all his glory
Image credit: Ryan Jack

So beautiful, so sad what happened.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

You know, after thinking about what I read in that article, it brings up a lot of questions. So, is the "game fence" between Timbivati and this Sandringham enough to typically keep animals from crossing between the properties? There is a lot of poaching taking place there, so I would imagine it is, and if so, how did they get through? Is there a break in the fence? This is very troubling indeed for the Giraffe Male and Black Dam Pride, these guys are flat out poachers.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-03-2020, 04:30 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

You know, after thinking about what I read in that article, it brings up a lot of questions. So, is the "game fence" between Timbivati and this Sandringham enough to typically keep animals from crossing between the properties? There is a lot of poaching taking place there, so I would imagine it is, and if so, how did they get through? Is there a break in the fence? This is very troubling indeed for the Giraffe Male and Black Dam Pride, these guys are flat out poachers.
The fence is between Thornybush and the Sandringham property.
Perhaps the fence at somewhere is break, the same has happened with the Timbavati male who did partnered up with the Black dam male in 2015, he went into Thornybush from Timbavati when the fence still was separated each-reserve.
Anyway, the hunting does not happen anymore in the area.
Perhaps and hopefully there the Giraffe male is on a safe zone
2 users Like Timbavati's post

New Zealand Selati Offline

Fences often aren't well maintained, so its very likely that they were able to slip through.
1 user Likes Selati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-03-2020, 04:56 AM)Selati Wrote:

Fences often aren't well maintained, so its very likely that they were able to slip through.
I believe so, however Darrel Camden-Smith which works in Thornybush, every day he's doing patrol walking to keep the poachers away.
a very great point at least
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-03-2020, 04:48 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:

The fence is between Thornybush and the Sandringham property.
Perhaps the fence at somewhere is break, the same has happened with the Timbavati male who did partnered up with the Black dam male in 2015, he went into Thornybush from Timbavati when the fence still was separated each-reserve.
Anyway, the hunting does not happen anymore in the area.
Perhaps and hopefully there the Giraffe male is on a safe zone

Not sure if you had a chance to read the link @Tr1x24 posted, but it appears that they arrested some poachers at Sandringham, and they were in possession of a bunch of Rhino horns, and other animal items. So, it sounds like there are poachers directly connected to that property, which is very concerning for Giraffe Male and the Black Dam Pride as well.

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-03-2020, 06:19 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(09-03-2020, 04:56 AM)Selati Wrote:

I believe so, however Darrel Camden-Smith which works in Thornybush, every day he's doing patrol walking to keep the poachers away.
a very great point at least

I am sure Darrell absolutely has his work cut our for him then. Thank goodness for people like him.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Duma and the old Ross male "The Good" April 2017
Credit: Chad Cocking

7 users Like Timbavati's post