There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2020, 09:22 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-28-2020, 09:13 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: I think that are Hercules and Sumatra.
Anyway it was a great sighting

They dont look like Hercules and Sumatra, and thats waay out of their territory..

Those are definetly Nsemani males:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Mbiris are after taugh opponents.. Older Mbiri is a beast..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(08-28-2020, 09:18 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 09:13 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: I think that are Hercules and Sumatra.

They dont look like Hercules and Sumatra, and thats waay out of their territory..
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-28-2020, 09:13 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 08:58 PM)Potato Wrote: Yeah they definitelly look like Nsemani males. Mbiris never stop to suprise me in their neverending look for a scrap with other males. Like 2 weeks or so ago they were seen way north in Simbavati and now again so far off their territorry and yet in another direction. Wtf they are doing. I mean answear is rather obvious - it must be search for more females to mate with, but why the hell they are trying to expand in all directions around? I do not get it.

I think that are Hercules and Sumatra.

Might be, but I think the male on the left look more like Rockfig male than Hercules, especially what it comes to mane colour.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Hercules August 2020
Credit: Johan Scott

2 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-28-2020, 09:21 PM)Potato Wrote: Might be, but I think the male on the left look more like Rockfig male than Hercules, especially what it comes to mane colour.

Those are 100% Nsemani.. Left Rockfig, right Mbiri :

2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Who knows, We need to wait for more pictures.

Possibilities are many at the moment

United States Matimbalani Offline

(08-28-2020, 08:58 PM)Potato Wrote: Yeah they definitelly look like Nsemani males. Mbiris never stop to suprise me in their neverending look for a scrap with other males. Like 2 weeks or so ago they were seen way north in Simbavati and now again so far off their territorry and yet in another direction. Wtf they are doing. I mean answear is rather obvious - it must be search for more females to mate with, but why the hell they are trying to expand in all directions around? I do not get it.

I think they are probing around to find a soft spot. The Nsemani cubs should be almost independent now, so both coalitions may be looking to expand and may be even switch territories. I don't think the Mbiris would be able to control that vast an area.
2 users Like Matimbalani's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(08-28-2020, 09:28 PM)Matimbalani Wrote:

I think they are probing around to find a soft spot. The Nsemani cubs should be almost independent now, so both coalitions may be looking to expand and may be even switch territories. I don't think the Mbiris would be able to control that vast an area.

The Mbiri are in their prime.

they have hold the central parts of TImbavati for years before the arriving of the Nharhu males

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-28-2020, 09:28 PM)Matimbalani Wrote:

Myambula youngsters are sbadults already and so they do not need Mbiris protection that much anymore. I think Mbiris would be fine at the moment to schift their atention towards other pride.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

The big lion news this week was the sad update on the impressive Black Dam male from the far west of our concession who met an untimely end this week.  An injury from a failed buffalo hunt seems to have left him as a sitting target for the Monwana males that finished the job the next day.  Despite this loss, the new males are likely to provide some greater stability to the Giraffe Pride (they have already been seen mating with them for months) in the west.  The River Pride continued to move large distances this week and despite seeing them with full bellies, we didn’t find them on any kills.  Their wonderings also took them into relatively uncharted territory to the west, but based on all the roaring we could hear close to camp last night, it sounds like they returned to the heart of their territory after this sojourn.  Tracks for the Mayambula Pride were only seen on the Kruger Boundary, but no sightings were had.
Tanda Tula update

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-28-2020, 10:04 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The big lion news this week was the sad update on the impressive Black Dam male from the far west of our concession who met an untimely end this week.  An injury from a failed buffalo hunt seems to have left him as a sitting target for the Monwana males that finished the job the next day.  Despite this loss, the new males are likely to provide some greater stability to the Giraffe Pride (they have already been seen mating with them for months) in the west.  The River Pride continued to move large distances this week and despite seeing them with full bellies, we didn’t find them on any kills.  Their wonderings also took them into relatively uncharted territory to the west, but based on all the roaring we could hear close to camp last night, it sounds like they returned to the heart of their territory after this sojourn.  Tracks for the Mayambula Pride were only seen on the Kruger Boundary, but no sightings were had.
Tanda Tula update

Wait, so BDM was injured by the buffalo, but killed by the Monwana males the next day? I was of the impression that he had been gored by the buffalo, saw that the pride was able to eat, slumped off into the brush and died. @"TinoArmando" did the mentioned video ever get posted? Thank you for this update, it completely changes my understanding of what happened, and for me anyhow, it makes the events that unfolded that much more tragic.

Timbavati Online
Moderators

(08-28-2020, 10:55 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 10:04 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: The big lion news this week was the sad update on the impressive Black Dam male from the far west of our concession who met an untimely end this week.  An injury from a failed buffalo hunt seems to have left him as a sitting target for the Monwana males that finished the job the next day.  Despite this loss, the new males are likely to provide some greater stability to the Giraffe Pride (they have already been seen mating with them for months) in the west.  The River Pride continued to move large distances this week and despite seeing them with full bellies, we didn’t find them on any kills.  Their wonderings also took them into relatively uncharted territory to the west, but based on all the roaring we could hear close to camp last night, it sounds like they returned to the heart of their territory after this sojourn.  Tracks for the Mayambula Pride were only seen on the Kruger Boundary, but no sightings were had.
Tanda Tula update

Wait, so BDM was injured by the buffalo, but killed by the Monwana males the next day? I was of the impression that he had been gored by the buffalo, saw that the pride was able to eat, slumped off into the brush and died. @"TinoArmando" did the mentioned video ever get posted? Thank you for this update, it completely changes my understanding of what happened, and for me anyhow, it makes the events that unfolded that much more tragic.

I'm a bit confused.
Because two reliable sources have send a different statement
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-28-2020, 11:12 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 10:55 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
Tanda Tula update

I'm a bit confused.
Because two reliable sources have send a different statement
I truly hope we are able to get to the truth of what happened, hopefully sooner rather than later.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline

Same here, confused now as well?
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

Lions of Timbavati FB page posted this:

What a way to start the morning in Kruger.

The two Mbiri male lions in Kruger 26km from Orpen. 2 male lions chasing 2 other big males roaring aggressively the whole time.
They left the road close to Bobbejaans Krans view point and we could just hear their roars. Was amazing...
Photo credits: Twiga Travel Africa
Kruger National Park,date: 27.08.20

Mbiri males never fail to impress when it comes to displaying their power. The males they were chasing away are beastly lions themselves. Might even be slightly taller than the Mbiri males. Any idea on who they might be??
6 users Like Rabubi's post