There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Ttimemarti Offline

Are we going to call the 4 Black Dam males the Northern Black Dam Males and the 2 in sabi sands the Southern Black Dam Males
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-01-2023, 01:16 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Are we going to call the 4 Black Dam males the Northern Black Dam Males and the 2 in sabi sands the Southern Black Dam Males

I don’t think that’s a good idea. After all, the four Black dam males are in Thornybush and the others in Sabi Sands. Karen Gilliam, Admin and Community Support Team at WildEarth.TV told me that they’ll start a page for them at Facebook. So, will ask them if they’ll give a coalition name to them…
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-01-2023, 01:16 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Are we going to call the 4 Black Dam males the Northern Black Dam Males and the 2 in sabi sands the Southern Black Dam Males

Makes sense.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The two Mbiri males were seen recently in the Kruger National Park. Both looking in excellent condition!
Photo credits: Tamsyn Wildlife Photography

*This image is copyright of its original author

10 users Like Timbavati's post

239Pu Offline

is there video of those two fighting?
1 user Likes 239Pu's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

There are some videos of the two Mbiri males when they caught a River pride young male a couple of years ago. I'll find the link and would be posted here
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The two Mbiri males when they caught a River pride young male a couple of years ago at nThambo Tree Camp in Klaserie.

8 users Like Timbavati's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(04-02-2023, 04:28 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The two Mbiri males were seen recently in the Kruger National Park. Both looking in excellent condition!

Man I'm yet to see a more scarred lion than Shaka, he's 9 and his face could be mistaken by a 14yo male, what a warrior he is.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-02-2023, 08:32 AM)Mapokser Wrote:
(04-02-2023, 04:28 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The two Mbiri males were seen recently in the Kruger National Park. Both looking in excellent condition!

Man I'm yet to see a more scarred lion than Shaka, he's 9 and his face could be mistaken by a 14yo male, what a warrior he is.

Shaka is for sure the most intimidating lion I have ever seen. He and Scar have such a close bond, I really enjoy watching videos of them. As for a scarred lion, check out post 2,468 here. The fight in which he received those scars is the most prolonged, and most brutal lion fight I have ever seen, so much so I was convinced that neither male could have survived, yet he did, while the other male did in fact perish afterwards.

Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara (wildfact.com)
6 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

(04-02-2023, 08:40 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Shaka is for sure the most intimidating lion I have ever seen. He and Scar have such a close bond, I really enjoy watching videos of them. As for a scarred lion, check out post 2,468 here. The fight in which he received those scars is the most prolonged, and most brutal lion fight I have ever seen, so much so I was convinced that neither male could have survived, yet he did, while the other male did in fact perish afterwards.

I was aware of this fight and old male, it was indeed an insane fight ( probably by far the most vicious 1v1 lion fight ever filmed in the wild ), but I didn't know the other male died. I'm not sure if there's a proper source for this or if it's just the video, because I've to say that although that channel makes some great videos, I've seen some incorrect informations given in that channel and by the owner of the channel.

It looks quite suspicious that the rival male would have killed Loonkito's partner 1v1 before proceeding to challenge and fight Loonkito equally for so long, unless he killed the partner in some other day. It'd be nice to have an actual source/confirmation if the other male died from his wounds and if he truly killed Loonkito's partner and when.

To give an example of an incorrect info given by Leo/his channel, on Leo's ( admittedly amazing ) posts summarizing the Mapogos reign in their thread [https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-mighty-mapogos?page=165], with incredible maps and charts, it has a claim that Mapogos killed 2 members of the "Northern Coalition" in 2007, however this very suspicious coalition is only mentioned in the documentary ( saying Mapogos killed only one of them ), otherwise there's no evidence it even existed, so asking Rob he told me the coalition is indeed made up.

4 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-02-2023, 11:14 AM)Mapokser Wrote:
(04-02-2023, 08:40 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

I was aware of this fight and old male, it was indeed an insane fight ( probably by far the most vicious 1v1 lion fight ever filmed in the wild ), but I didn't know the other male died. I'm not sure if there's a proper source for this or if it's just the video, because I've to say that although that channel makes some great videos, I've seen some incorrect informations given in that channel and by the owner of the channel.

It looks quite suspicious that the rival male would have killed Loonkito's partner 1v1 before proceeding to challenge and fight Loonkito equally for so long, unless he killed the partner in some other day. It'd be nice to have an actual source/confirmation if the other male died from his wounds and if he truly killed Loonkito's partner and when.

To give an example of an incorrect info given by Leo/his channel, on Leo's ( admittedly amazing ) posts summarizing the Mapogos reign in their thread [https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-the-mighty-mapogos?page=165], with incredible maps and charts, it has a claim that Mapogos killed 2 members of the "Northern Coalition" in 2007, however this very suspicious coalition is only mentioned in the documentary ( saying Mapogos killed only one of them ), otherwise there's no evidence it even existed, so asking Rob he told me the coalition is indeed made up.

I do not know the other male's dying to be a fact, it is quite possible I accepted it, since I personally found it difficult to believe either could survive such a brutal encounter, when far less prolonged encounters have killed many others along the way. I only shared that information to show another example of a scarred up lion.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

1/4 BDM

5 users Like Mdz123's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Sark breakaway young male looking proud and regal as ever!
Photo credit: Perry Wanrooij

9 users Like Timbavati's post

BigLion39 Offline

(04-02-2023, 11:14 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm not sure if there's a proper source for this or if it's just the video, because I've to say that although that channel makes some great videos, I've seen some incorrect informations given in that channel and by the owner of the channel.

I agree, he makes great videos with footage previously taken from others but a lit of his info is very incorrect. I've pointed it out to him on many occasions to no avail. 

I originally saw the original video before Leo made the new video. I don't remember if it was stated originally about Loonkitos brother or only in the Mapojo video.
2 users Like BigLion39's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

For another week in a row, it was the lions that stole the show out there, with all three of our large pride playing along rather nicely. The stars around Tanda Tula Plains Camp continue to be the Giraffe Pride, and they again spent over half of the week on the plains below camp; sometimes it was only a few lost youngsters (they seem to frequently leave a few members behind these days), but the entire pride spent no fewer than three days in the area this past week – it is a sight I don’t think I will ever tire of seeing; 25 lions on the move together.

The Mayambula Pride also spent several days of the week in the areas east of Tanda Tula Safari Camp, and this is something we can only hope continues when we move back to our new home in a few months. The reason for their presence was once again linked to the fact that the Vuyela males had shifted their attention to the Sark Breakaways this week, pulling most of the males to the western sectors, and leaving the Mayambula Pride to roam freely in the east. My favourite sighting of the Vuyela’s was when the single male that had been on a buffalo kill on his own for almost four days was joined by another male one afternoon…then whilst we were watching, a third male joined, and this was followed by seven members of the Sark Breakaways and eventually a fourth male of the coalition. This latter member waited until the two males feeding were distracted by an approaching lioness and ran in and tried to grab his share of the carcass. The males continues to growl and snarl at one another whilst the pride knew that they were not going to get any of the maggot-infested remains. The rest of the pride spent a couple more days relaxing in the area and ended the week with one of the members spending the last few days of the week mating with one of the Vuyela males. Although we did not see the fifth male with the pride, all five males of the coalition were accounted for during the week when two members were seen with the Sark Breakaways, and the other three with the River Pride. My guests that checked out earlier in the week had enjoyed seeing a total of 58 lions during their stay – not bad going.

8 users Like Potato's post