There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Sumatra male

We had a great sighting of the Giraffe Pride, but this male was not looking great
*This image is copyright of its original author

Birmingham breakaway males

4 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Sumatra male looked worse in the past. Although now is leg looks worse than in the past, with a good meals he can pull weight again.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(03-21-2023, 06:47 PM)Potato Wrote: Sumatra male

We had a great sighting of the Giraffe Pride, but this male was not looking great

Birmingham breakaway males

This is the first time has been seen in this bad condition in a long time. He is 12-13 years old now, so this might mean the end of him. However, he is still dominant over the pride so theres chances for survival.
2 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(03-21-2023, 06:51 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Sumatra male looked worse in the past. Although now is leg looks worse than in the past, with a good meals he can pull weight again.

Hes really old now, im questioning his ability to recover considering that gash on the leg looks nasty
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-21-2023, 07:13 PM by Tr1x24 )

(03-21-2023, 06:53 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Hes really old now, im questioning his ability to recover considering that gash on the leg looks nasty
(03-21-2023, 06:51 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Sumatra male looked worse in the past. Although now is leg looks worse than in the past, with a good meals he can pull weight again.

This is that famous "black dot" disease, nothing can be done.

Stage of disease is really bad in his case, as bacteria is starting to eat his muscle, only matter of how many months he can still survive.

Same thing happened to Sizanani, you literally get your hip eaten from inside out.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

What’s a synopsis of his an his coalition mates’ life? I haven’t been able to find too much info about Hercules and Sumatra and their history.
Thank you! Wow I had no idea he was approximately 13 years old, I thought he was like 8-10 years old.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-21-2023, 07:12 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: 13 years old, I thought he was like 8-10 years old.

He is not 13, its presumed he is born around 2011-12.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Sumatra male back in the day. Looking skinny and with the same nasty limp he still has.
Photo credits: Kevin MacLaughlin - Africa on Foot

4 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-21-2023, 10:18 PM by Tr1x24 )

(03-21-2023, 07:12 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: What’s a synopsis of his an his coalition mates’ life? I haven’t been able to find too much info about Hercules and Sumatra and their history.

Sumatra and his brother came to Timbavati/Klaserie in 2016.

His brother disappeared around that time.

Sumatra was seen with Ross breakaway in 2017 and later hanged with Hercules pride in 2018, who had young 3- 4 year old male.

Remaining Sumatra and young Hercules made a coalition then.

They where nomadic for some time, but then in late 2019 they took Skorro pride.

That didnt last long and to mid 2020 where ousted by 2 Mbiris.

Later in 2021 they most likely killed 1/2 Monwana males and takeover Giraffe pride.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-21-2023, 07:14 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(03-21-2023, 07:12 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: 13 years old, I thought he was like 8-10 years old.

He is not 13, its presumed he is born around 2011-12.

2010/11 sounds much very accurate.

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Possibly older Mapoza male (?

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-21-2023, 07:34 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: No, this is not Sumatra, description on the picture :

(03-21-2023, 07:48 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Possibly older Mapoza male (?
This is Sumatra male
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-21-2023, 10:31 PM by Tr1x24 )

(03-21-2023, 09:47 PM)Potato Wrote: This is Sumatra male

Yea, i read article and it says lone Sumatra male (will delete my previous post).

But who are then 2 younger Sumatras they saw previously ? 

That confused me.

So we had 3 Sumatra males? I always taught there where 2.

Is there any photos of other Sumatras, only this 1 male on every photo i can find.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-21-2023, 09:47 PM)Potato Wrote:
(03-21-2023, 07:34 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: No, this is not Sumatra, description on the picture :

(03-21-2023, 07:48 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Possibly older Mapoza male (?
This is Sumatra male
Thanks. Exactly what I thought…
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

Hoedspruit male.

2 users Like DARK MANE's post