There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-12-2023, 05:47 PM)Tonpa Wrote: The two Older Kudyela males, it looks like they abandoned the small Singwe Pride and went across the river, seems they've now outsted their remaining father
by Isambane Camp

*This image is copyright of its original author
They resemblances a lot to their fathers. Glad to see Machaton offspring thriving.
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

8 users Like Potato's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Masunglo male

11 users Like Mdz123's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-16-2023, 02:10 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Masunglo male

One of the mighty Sark boys. This Sark male is the one in better shape, his brother has look a bit tough lately.
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One of the Mayambula/Vlak young males in the KNP
Photo credits: Twiga Travel Africa

8 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Throwback to Giraffe male, father of the 6 Black Dam males

9 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-18-2023, 10:33 PM)Potato Wrote: Throwback to Giraffe male, father of the 6 Black Dam males

Still wish he'd never gone to Sandrigham, could possibly still be with us had he not.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-18-2023, 10:38 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 10:33 PM)Potato Wrote: Throwback to Giraffe male, father of the 6 Black Dam males

Still wish he'd never gone to Sandrigham, could possibly still be with us had he not.

He would be killed by taking over Xikukutsus and Mapoza or chase out and die shortly after as nomad. As lone male at the end of his prime he was at the end of his road that way or another.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(03-18-2023, 11:09 PM)Potato Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 10:38 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

He would be killed by taking over Xikukutsus and Mapoza or chase out and die shortly after as nomad. As lone male at the end of his prime he was at the end of his road that way or another.

Couldn’t he join his 6 sons? If it did go down like that? I mean how old was he when he disappeared?
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-19-2023, 01:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

(03-19-2023, 12:37 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I mean how old was he when he disappeared?

Over 9.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-19-2023, 12:37 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Couldn’t he join his 6 sons?
Maybe he could. If he would manage to do so then his odds for survival would be much better through it is rare that dynamic develop that way father leaves pride with his sons and form a coalition with them, it is not impossible through.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(03-19-2023, 03:05 AM)Potato Wrote: Maybe he could. If he would manage to do so then his odds for survival would be much better through it is rare that dynamic develop that way father leaves pride with his sons and form a coalition with them, it is not impossible through.

I think he disapeared before young males left Sandrigham and went nomadic (if i remember correctly).
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Gavskrr Offline

1/2 Orion Males, Donald son of the Machaton males
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
9 users Like Gavskrr's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(03-20-2023, 04:17 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: 1/2 Orion Males, Donald son of the Machaton males
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
Hope they make it as a coalition
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

was off drive for a couple of days and could hear the roars of the Giraffe Pride as they continued to move around the plains; when I returned to drive later in the week, I was greeted with the news that the pride had killed a massive male giraffe less than a kilometer from camp, and I knew that we would have some good lion viewing for a day or two. What I wasn’t expecting was five days of viewing of the pride on their kill before they eventually moved back to the plains to sleep off their well-fed bellies. The pride all feasted for a full four days before they started to peel off, but even then, they stayed close enough to keep the hundreds of vultures that had gathered in the area at bay. When the lions eventually gave up on getting any more from the now putrid remains of the giraffe, more than a dozen hyenas descended upon the carcass to get stuck into the bones, hide, and inaccessible meat that the lions could not reach. As amazing as the scene was, I couldn’t help but feel for the vultures that had spent six days waiting for their turn and were now unlikely to get anything from it. What was wonderful to see were many of the endangered hooded vultures hanging around the kill, as well as at least four or five of the rarer Cape vultures in the area.

When the lions did leave, they gave us a day of wonderful viewing as they played and hunted on the plains in both the morning and the evening. The next day the pride had moved a few kilometers to the east but remained on the property for the entire week. I just hope that this doesn’t mean that they will soon be spending an extended period away from our concession.

If they do, it seems as though the lions in the east will have to be some good substitutes – and that is not a bad thing.  Steve tracked down the nine members of the Sark Breakaway pride one afternoon in the central region as they too rested off fat bellies on the cooling sands of the Zebenine riverbed. The pride spent another couple of days in the area as the week ended. The three River Pride lionesses were seen on consecutive days with a kill closer to Tanda Tula Safari Camp, and two of the Vuyela males also spent much of the week with a buffalo kill just off our access road in the central region. The Birmingham Breakaway males were also found east of Safari Camp, meaning that the only lions that didn’t contribute to this week’s viewing were the Mayambula Pride – but with the River Pride pushing back into their old territory with the formidable force of the five Vuyela males, I do suspect that we will be seeing less and less of the Mayambula Pride.

8 users Like Potato's post