There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-17-2023, 06:29 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Thank you everyone for the kind words. In the next map, we will try to add some other Lion coalitions once their territories are specifics and not nomadic males due the fact they tend to traverse the whole reserve and even went into nearby areas

It would also be nice if you could add Thornybush and Ngala.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

Kicking off with the lions, the Giraffe Pride again took centre stage with regular sightings through the week.  It started off with guests that had come to Tanda Tula hoping to see one of the super prides, and they got what they wanted when the Giraffe Pride spent the first day of their stay on the plains and they got to spend time with them.  I joined drive a few days later and heard that some members of the pride were seen crossing off the concession in the morning, and thus we knew they weren’t that far off.  I was chasing leopards that afternoon, but we could hear the lions during dinner, and after desert I stood up and went to the edge of the patio and could hear the unmistakable sound of lions fighting over a kill.  I asked if the guests were keen to go and see some lions, and with an unsurprisingly unanimous decision to do it, we headed out in search of the pride, seeing a grazing hippo, black backed jackals and an African wild cat (not Nova!) before we eventually found the lions just off the access road.  It was the whole pride, but the young wildebeest they had killed was all but finished, with just the two pride males jostling over scraps.  Despite it being a small kill, all members looked fat and well fed, so I am not sure if they had caught two wildebeest and already finished both of them?  The next morning, we tracked them down into the Klaserie River, and it was evident that they had just finished yet another kill.  The pride spent the day resting in the shady riverine vegetation and stayed there until nightfall.  We picked up on the pride just on our southern boundary a day later, and they again spent the day resting on the plains before later in the week eventually moving to the eastern side of their territory – something that they haven’t done for weeks. In the east, neither the Mayambula nor Sark Breakaways showed face, but there were almost daily sightings of the River Pride lionesses and some of the Vuyela males in the areas immediately surrounding Tanda Tula Safari Camp – they spent one day resting in the Nhlaralumi Riverbed within view of the new Safari Suite 1!  There was also a report of a single lioness and a young male lion on Nkhari – the guides suspected it might be one of the Birmingham Breakaway males, but this was not confirmed. 
5 users Like Potato's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Mapoza

8 users Like Mdz123's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-18-2023, 06:13 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Mapoza

Looking good.
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

9 users Like Potato's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Ngati princesses on the hunt

5 users Like afortich's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

7 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-17-2023, 06:38 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(04-17-2023, 02:19 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Timbavati map as of April 2023. (Next map will be posted next month)
Birmingham prides not were added in the map because they've shifted their territory into Kruger and only often are sighted in the Timbavati. Mongawane males weren't seen in a long time in the area, last sighting was in Kruger. Avoca pride shifted their territory into Southern parts of Thornybush, they were seen at Shindzela a few days ago after of a long time. The seven Birmingham breakaway young males are nomadic and traverse the whole reserve. Same goes for the the white Birmingham young male and his brothers, they're back and forth from Timbavati to Kruger, they haven't an specific territory so far, thus i decided don't add them here. Same for Ross males.
Special thanks to: Cathan Moore, Johan Adolf Smalman and Andi Dill

*This image is copyright of its original author

Sincerely do appreciate the map! I'm not very familiar with the Timbavati area so this helps a lot!

Fantastic work, my friend, really helpful for all of us.
3 users Like BA0701's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

From Cathan Moore:

‘There have been very few updates regarding the Mayambula pride of late as they have been under continuous pressure from the Vuyela males who seem to have taken control of the central timbavati. In saying this, to our surprise, the Mayambula pride have spent the last couple of days back in the northen stretches of their territory and this morning we  found them on a zebra kill. I am glad to confirm that 18 lions were present which means all 11 cubs are still alive as well as the 7 females. There is no sign of the skorro males but they won’t be far away.

Videos by Clive Batel - guest staying at kings Camp’

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Are any of these 7 females daughters of the Mbiri males, sisters of Mayambula males and nieces of these Skorro males?

If so, how many of them?
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-22-2023, 09:47 PM)Mapokser Wrote: If so, how many of them?
2 users Like Potato's post

United States PumpkinCat Offline
New Join

(04-22-2023, 09:47 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Are any of these 7 females daughters of the Mbiri males, sisters of Mayambula males and nieces of these Skorro males?

If so, how many of them?

Mayambula lionesses are separated into two generations at this moment. The three senior lionesses are daughters of Ximpoko and Mabande males while the four younger lionesses are daughters of Mbiri males.
5 users Like PumpkinCat's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-23-2023, 08:52 PM by Mdz123 )

Hercules

8 users Like Mdz123's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@PumpkinCat Wow I didn't know Ximpoko have left any legacy since he died so soon.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(04-22-2023, 08:40 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(04-17-2023, 06:38 AM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(04-17-2023, 02:19 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Timbavati map as of April 2023. (Next map will be posted next month)
Birmingham prides not were added in the map because they've shifted their territory into Kruger and only often are sighted in the Timbavati. Mongawane males weren't seen in a long time in the area, last sighting was in Kruger. Avoca pride shifted their territory into Southern parts of Thornybush, they were seen at Shindzela a few days ago after of a long time. The seven Birmingham breakaway young males are nomadic and traverse the whole reserve. Same goes for the the white Birmingham young male and his brothers, they're back and forth from Timbavati to Kruger, they haven't an specific territory so far, thus i decided don't add them here. Same for Ross males.
Special thanks to: Cathan Moore, Johan Adolf Smalman and Andi Dill

*This image is copyright of its original author

Sincerely do appreciate the map! I'm not very familiar with the Timbavati area so this helps a lot!

Fantastic work, my friend, really helpful for all of us.
Thank you my friend!
1 user Likes Timbavati's post