There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

PCM with Ximungwe Pride

3 users Like afortich's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-23-2024, 11:00 PM)MrLoesoe Wrote: Are these the same young males that had an altercation with the Kambula males in August? Around Northern Sabi Sands / Southern Manyeleti border I believe. I guess so, right? Still roaming around that area apparently.

Yes, these boys look to be tough ones.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: Yesterday, 12:26 AM by BA0701 )

(09-23-2024, 10:40 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Ximhungwes chased NK breakaway subs, then reunited with PCM:

Credits: Savanna

*This image is copyright of its original author

I wonder what the PCM response would have been, had they been present when they chased the Nkuhuma subs off. I do not even know if they have seen or interacted with those subs in well over a year.

The growth rate of the Xim cubs is incredible, they have gotten so big already.
3 users Like BA0701's post

KM600 Offline

(Yesterday, 12:25 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-23-2024, 10:40 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Ximhungwes chased NK breakaway subs, then reunited with PCM:

I wonder what the PCM response would have been, had they been present when they chased the Nkuhuma subs off. I do not even know if they have seen or interacted with those subs in well over a year.

I think PCMs would chase them off just like they did to Mhangenis when bigger PCM was with Othawas. They also know who’s pride territory it is and I’m assuming the coalition would always favour their pride within their territory, no matter how close they currently are or use to be to the intruders.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Super Moderator

(Yesterday, 12:44 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 12:25 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

I think PCMs would chase them off just like they did to Mhangenis when bigger PCM was with Othawas. They also know who’s pride territory it is and I’m assuming the coalition would always favour their pride within their territory, no matter how close they currently are or use to be to the intruders.

I just hope there is not another incident, where they approach their father at a kill, and then get killed by the pride he is with, as happened recently with that young male.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

KM600 Offline

(09-23-2024, 10:28 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Torchwood young males found and attacked Imbali lionesses:

All these upcoming coalitions in Sabi Sands rn, I hope Floppy Ear gives himself a chance to try his luck with some of them and see if it sticks. I can see him tryna chase off other nomadic males because of his interest in the Kambula lioness, but let’s hope he gives companionship a real go.
2 users Like KM600's post

Super Moderator

Comments say this may be Skorro Jr, but, even though he is one of my favorite lions, I just am not sure if it is him as I am not seeing enough of him, Says it was taken at Dulini, so I am assuming it may be him and the Manghenis. The question, however, is when was this taken, which some have asked Neil in the comments. If this is Skorro Jr, when did he get these nasty bites to his back?

1 user Likes BA0701's post

Lion1 Offline

3 users Like Lion1's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Probably from weeks ago when he was feeding with the cubs. Injury probably from the Gijimas.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Kambula mating with an Imbali female:

4 users Like Mapokser's post

Super Moderator

(10 hours ago)Mapokser Wrote: Kambula mating with an Imbali female:

The K4s better respond to the Torchwood Young Males soon, or they're either going to start killing lionesses, or are going to take over the pride.
3 users Like BA0701's post

MrLoesoe Offline

(10 hours ago)Lion1 Wrote:

Wow aggressive from these two young males. Notice how the larger brother (possibly older) initiates and his younger brother follows him in the aggressive behaviour. I find this really interesting to observe.

I wonder if Kambulas heard them and, like @BA0701 mentions, whether Kambulas will respond. Many interesting things awaiting to happen in Sabi Sands.

Who are their fathers? In the comments on Youtube I read Kruger male but that seems unlikely to me.
1 user Likes MrLoesoe's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 9 hours ago by Mapokser )

Torchwood boys would be no match for them, but I'm not sure we've seen the Kambulas properly patrolling and seeking nomads to chase at current times, not long ago they made their "classical" move of leaving their sort of territory to go follow buffalo far away and even shared it with S.Avoca.

I'm interested to see how they'll react to cubs and having a proper pride under them, instead of the current situation where they mate, oust resident males but it doesn't seem they are fully territorial and pride males.

What can still happen is that they will be taking Imbalis after ousting Kruger male, but then Mantimahles will come into play, like when it seemed they'd ousted BDM and were taking over Nkuhumas, but PCM put an end to it.

They have had multiple encounters with the Mantimahle already, chasing the dark-maned one and getting chased at least twice by both brothers.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Super Moderator

(10 hours ago)Mapokser Wrote: Probably from weeks ago when he was feeding with the cubs. Injury probably from the Gijimas.

I know his limp was made worse during that attack, and he disappeared for awhile while he convalesced, I just don't recall the bite marks on his back during all of that.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(9 hours ago)MrLoesoe Wrote: Who are their fathers? In the comments on Youtube I read Kruger male but that seems unlikely to me.

Both Kruger males are fathers.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post