There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-13-2024, 07:59 PM by Ngonya )

(09-13-2024, 07:24 PM)MrLoesoe Wrote: Do you know where in Sabi Sands they were sighted?
They werent in Sabi Sand.

Stupid mistake of mine, mixed with the topic coalitions of Kruger.

My apologies, deleted it already. 

The boys are still in Kruger
3 users Like Ngonya's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2024, 12:10 AM by Tr1x24 )

PCM with Tsalala pride in Singita:

Credits: thedailyschvitz

*This image is copyright of its original author

13 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2024, 12:13 AM by BA0701 )

(09-14-2024, 12:09 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: PCM with Tsalala pride in Singita:

What great images! Were both boys present, and do we know the sex of these three cubs yet?
5 users Like BA0701's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(09-14-2024, 12:13 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

What great images! Were both boys present, and do we know the sex of these three cubs yet?

I only saw images of the one.  I think while this was going on the other was off with Nkhumas, or the Ximungs, or possibly both since they have transporter technology.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

MrLoesoe Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2024, 01:30 PM by MrLoesoe )

Two of the cubs are female and one is a male, if I remember correctly. It was posted earlier on this thread but I cannot find it now. Edit: found it Lions of Sabi Sands (wildfact.com)

That is good news for the future of the pride (although three females would be even better)!

The male will have a hard time though once he reaches adulthood, I'm afraid, with no brothers or cousins around.
6 users Like MrLoesoe's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2024, 06:35 PM by BA0701 )

(09-14-2024, 01:16 PM)MrLoesoe Wrote:

Two of the cubs are female and one is a male, if I remember correctly. It was posted earlier on this thread but I cannot find it now. Edit: found it Lions of Sabi Sands (wildfact.com)

That is good news for the future of the pride (although three females would be even better)!

The male will have a hard time though once he reaches adulthood, I'm afraid, with no brothers or cousins around.

Thank you for that! Yes, two is of course better than 1, or none, for sure. Ha, and it looks like I even replied to that post, go figure. Sometimes a hectic life gets in the way I suppose. Here's to hoping they all reach adulthood!
5 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Nice pics my friend. So happy for Tsalala pride, hopefully those little fellows all make it to adulthood
6 users Like afortich's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

1/2 Beautiful Ximungwe Cubs

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Kind of bittersweet, another 'Solo' born into the Tsalala Pride!  Shades of bygone days.  His destiny will be much harder as he is not only a solo boy, but born to a lone lioness. Will be interesting to watch his story unfold in the coming months and years, if he survives that long.
4 users Like Cath2020's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Ndzenga/N'Waswitshaka males messing with a young hippo. And a brief clip of Mohawk in the Clarendon open area. If I remember correctly that's in the north-west corner of Mala Mala, close to their border with KNP.

8 users Like NLAL11's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Go Floppy Go!!!!

8 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: Today, 02:13 AM by BA0701 )

This channel, "All About The Lions of Sabi Sands" has been putting out some truly wonderful, and informative videos. I hope more people will subscribe to their channel, we need more channels like this.

8 users Like BA0701's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(Today, 02:09 AM)BA0701 Wrote: This channel, "All About The Lions of Sabi Sands" has been putting out some truly wonderful, and informative videos. I hope more people will subscribe to their channel, we need more channels like this.

They do GREAT WORK
5 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

I know this video has already been sent in here, but it seems like name Khanya is frequently being used now (in the caption), whether that’s with guides themselves or even on WildEarth. I obviously have nothing against others who still refer to him as Talamati male, and I believe lodges / reserves will continue to call him that, but I would, personally, be all for the name Khanya sticking with him.

2 users Like KM600's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(4 hours ago)KM600 Wrote: I know this video has already been sent in here, but it seems like name Khanya is frequently being used now (in the caption), whether that’s with guides themselves or even on WildEarth. I obviously have nothing against others who still refer to him as Talamati male, and I believe lodges / reserves will continue to call him that, but I would, personally, be all for the name Khanya sticking with him.

Name's are fine, especially if the actual guides and reserves are using them. But I'll probably still continue to call him the Talamati male, as he's partnered with a male who doesn't have a name. Just like I don't refer to the bigger(-maned) PC male by his name, as his brother doesn't have one. Seems a bit weird to name one but not the other.

On another note, I'm a bit more hopeful for this pairing than the Nkuhuma male's previous partner's because:

- They are both cautious, survivor type males, which means they'll probably take their time and strengthen their bond before they make any challenges.
- Neither of them have ever been proper pride/territorial males. Which again means (I think) they'll be less likely to rush into anything. If we look at Nkuhumas previous partners, both Nhena and Skorro Jr. had been pride/territorial males before, which meant they were more likely to rush into becoming so again. Obviously the Skorro/Orpen male was a bit of an anomaly, but I just have a different feeling with these two.

Obviously it's still too early to tell, and the Nkuhuma's track record means we ourselves need to be cautious about being too optimistic, but there you go, my two pennies.
2 users Like NLAL11's post