There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Fenix123 Offline
New Join

3 users Like Fenix123's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Hi @Fenix123, this video has already been posted here in the Kambula/Ntsevu males thread. I see you're a new member so are probably not be aware that some of the prides and coalitions have their own threads, to stop this main one from becoming over-bloated with posts.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

United States Friarfan619 Offline

Khanya??
*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Friarfan619's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(09-11-2024, 06:17 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Khanya??

Yes. Both Khanya and NK headed into MalaMala after being in the North.
4 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2024, 12:41 AM by Mapokser )

MalaMala August report, if someone can properly post the reports in the appropriate threads it'd be great as I can't do it right now: https://malamala.com/monthly-game-reports/

Some interesting things, confirmation that after more than a year, the Kambulas and Ntsevus joined each other in a buffalo kill with the Ndhzengas, before splitting again.

K12 wasn't as lucky though, she and the young Styx male got chased by her sisters and mother/aunt.

Nkhulus now recognized as resident males in MalaMala, with multiple sightings of 4 and 5 of them together, as well up to 5 females of the Sand River pride, though unfortunately no cubs sighted.

MalaMala also lists them as being a 6 male coaliton, with 2 ( probably Smudge and ST ) as being older.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(09-12-2024, 12:40 AM)Mapokser Wrote: MalaMala August report, if someone can properly post the reports in the appropriate threads it'd be great as I can't do it right now: https://malamala.com/monthly-game-reports/

Some interesting things, confirmation that after more than a year, the Kambulas and Ntsevus joined each other in a buffalo kill with the Ndhzengas, before splitting again.

K12 wasn't as lucky though, she and the young Styx male got chased by her sisters and mother/aunt.

Nkhulus now recognized as resident males in MalaMala, with multiple sightings of 4 and 5 of them together, as well up to 5 females of the Sand River pride, though unfortunately no cubs sighted.

MalaMala also lists them as being a 6 male coaliton, with 2 ( probably Smudge and ST ) as being older.

They bugged me with their Nkuhuma head count lmao
1 user Likes Rui Ferreira's post

S65 males in the SabiSabi report, they remind me a lot of the Gijimas when they first entered Sabi Sands.
These boys seem quite confident trying to see where they fit in between 2 Gijimas in prime condition and 5/6 Nkhulus. I’d personally like to see them be pushed by the Gijimas towards Londolozi as they could then head North and even into Manyeleti which had an abundance of opportunities.

10 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2024, 01:37 AM by BA0701 )

Posting for @Mapokser, the August MalaMala Report, borrowed from here:

https://malamala.com/monthly-game-reports/

This is my first time posting one of these reports, so my formatting seems off, sorry.

THE SAND RIVER PRIDE = 6
2 ADULT FEMALES ± 6 YEARS 1 MONTH
1 ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 7 MONTHS
1 SUB-ADULT FEMALE 4 YEARS 0 MONTHS
2 SUB-ADULT FEMALES 3 YEARS 0 MONTHS
SOUTHERN CHARLESTON
(7 sightings)

Five lionesses were with four Nkuhlu males in the Sand River, at Charleston Rock on the 4th. Later that
day, they killed a nyala at Tjellahanga Pans. On the 8th, four lionesses were at Flat Rocks and at Island
Crossing the next day. Five lionesses were at Rocky Crossing on the 20th. On the 24th, they killed an
impala with two Nkuhlu males at Calabash Crossing. One lioness was with four Nkuhlu males along
Ingwe Donga on the 25th, while two other lionesses were on the closer to KK Pans.

OTHER LIONS ENCOUNTERED:
STYX MALE & KAMBULA BREAKAWAY FEMALE (9 sightings) – These two young
individuals were seen together on the 1st at Beaumont’s Camp, the young Kambula
lionesses seeming to have broken away from her brothers. On the 5th to the 7th, they
were at Charleston North Crossing. On the 11th, they were at Matshapiri Dam. They were
north of Campbell Koppies on the 16th, dangerously close to the members of the Ntsevu
pride and continued north as the Styx male was seen at Mlowathi Dam the next day. On
the 30th, they were in the Sand River at the confluence of the Rock Drift Donga and were
south of the Windmill the next day, where they were chased away by the Kambula pride.
TALAMATI MALE & NKUHUMA MALE (2 sightings) – These two males were seen east of
Tlebe Rocks on the 16th and were further east near the Matshapiri River the next day.
10 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2024, 10:24 AM by afortich )

Ximungwe Pride

6 users Like afortich's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

Londolozi blog, 5 truths about lions.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/09/11/di...out-lions/

No. 4 is interesting considering the conversation/debate that was had on this site recently. Turns out research suggests higher testosterone levels potentially lead to not only darker manes, but also longer manes as well.
5 users Like NLAL11's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2024, 08:22 PM by BA0701 )

(09-12-2024, 05:18 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Londolozi blog, 5 truths about lions.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2024/09/11/di...out-lions/

No. 4 is interesting considering the conversation/debate that was had on this site recently. Turns out research suggests higher testosterone levels potentially lead to not only darker manes, but also longer manes as well.

That is indeed an interesting article. The comments about how menstrual cycles are synchronized is equally interesting, and strange how it coincides with this recent video that popped up in my YT feed. I am not sure what pride this lioness is from, and if it is revealed that she is from somewhere outside of SS, I will move it to the correct thread. I am posting it here, for now, as it goes along with some of the things mentioned in the article posted by @NLAL11.

It shows a lioness with 5 cubs (and we thought Tsalala had it bad), and the comments by the author state that she had her cubs months after the other members of the pride, who would normally help in providing protection, meals, and generally assisting in looking after the cubs, so she is forced to raise them on her own until they are old enough to join the pride. Though, my guess would be, if she is indeed forced to raise the cubs outside of her pride, she likely was impregnated by males other than her pride's males.

1 user Likes BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I doubt lions understand the concept of fatherhood like that. Pregnancies just happen to them.

Its probably more that when everyone introduces their cubs at the same time. They are all still small and easily manageable. 
If you are a few months later than the rest, you will be introducing your cubs when the other litters are already conciderably bigger and much more demanding. So the other lionesses will be more critical about accepting new members. The cubs are now much more seen as competition to their own. 

This goes both ways. With several much older cubs your own cubs will be constantly bullied away from food and risk being seriously wounded during play. 

Both factors may convince a lioness to go solo.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Best hunting duo in Sabi Sands back at it again

8 users Like KM600's post

MrLoesoe Offline

(09-13-2024, 06:42 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Two Mayambula boys, mighty sons of the Mbiri males 
Snip Tail 

by Anri Nel Basson

Do you know where in Sabi Sands they were sighted? Do they still control the Sweni pride? Really great to see adult male off spring from which the fathers are still alive and dominant.
1 user Likes MrLoesoe's post

(09-13-2024, 07:24 PM)MrLoesoe Wrote:
(09-13-2024, 06:42 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Two Mayambula boys, mighty sons of the Mbiri males 
Snip Tail 

by Anri Nel Basson

Do you know where in Sabi Sands they were sighted? Do they still control the Sweni pride? Really great to see adult male off spring from which the fathers are still alive and dominant.

I’m guessing he put it in the wrong thread by accident, they have territory in KNP.
2 users Like KM600's post