There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Yeah this guide said he has also seen the Mantimahle, but thinks the PCM are the biggest anyway:

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

It's hot in the North, It's hot in the south.  The N'Was lounge away with their 532 little ones in the east....

7 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(05-04-2024, 04:33 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: It's hot in the North, It's hot in the south.  The N'Was lounge away with their 532 little ones in the east....

Good to see these boys taking their jobs seriously.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

And yet more heat....

7 users Like T_Ferguson's post

No please.  No Drama in the West.  We have enough in the North and South for one day.

4 users Like T_Ferguson's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-04-2024, 06:34 PM by Rabubi )

(05-04-2024, 04:49 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(05-04-2024, 04:33 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: It's hot in the North, It's hot in the south.  The N'Was lounge away with their 532 little ones in the east....

Good to see these boys taking their jobs seriously.

I feel like the Gijima males have always taken their role as pride males seriously. Even before they became territorial they had proven their strength and aggression when they went up against the Ndzhengas.

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-04-2024, 06:39 PM by KM600 )

(05-04-2024, 05:43 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: And yet more heat....

The Kambulas had just reunited so I’d hope K3 didn’t get caught this easily. I also heard the smaller PCM is in the West, so assuming this is true, the Kambula males have a huge advantage and one they don’t look like they’re taking with the bigger PCM managing to get the Nkuhuma lioness.
2 users Like KM600's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Obviously a post like this usually goes in an specific thread for the pride, this being Mhangeni Pride, but thought I’d post in here given that I didn’t know they had 5 male cubs, and the significance this may have in the future of Sabi Sands. 5 smaller PCMs does not sound fun to deal with, IF they all happen to survive.

7 users Like KM600's post

Ngonya Offline

Gijima male mating with a female
4 users Like Ngonya's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

If all current SS cubs survive, we'll see some big coalitions in the future.

Anyway Gijimas doing an incredible job, in terms of prowess in a chasing they're easily the strongest coalition in the SS.

PCM are formidable but the only dominant coalition they beat was Nhenha and NK who were dominant for only 1 month and had a bond of 6 months.

Gijimas defeated 3 territorial Nkhulus, were the last to defeat 4 Kambulas, and back in the day defeated 6 challenging lions ( one of which was prime Delaporte ).
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Friarfan619 Offline

So PC get no credit for going at 4kambula?? Even injuring 1
1 user Likes Friarfan619's post

Sweden Ttimemarti Offline

I think we need to be thankful the nkhulu coalition isn’t fully healthy not saying I want them to be sick but I think they’d be doin a hell of a lot more and it would not be good just saying
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Tumbela calling for NK in Sabi Sabi. NK was seen in Skukuza:

I wonder if something split them or if NK abandoned yet another partner.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Friarfan619 it was 2v3 and the Kambulas were already with low confidence after losing twice to the Gijimas days prior.

Regardless, Kambulas are semi-nomadic, which was my point. In terms of semi-nomadic/coalitions in the process of challenging, Gijimas won a 2v6, PCM never did anything anywhere as impressive, best feat in this regard was defeating 4 Kambulas months ago, but Gijimas defeated them way more recently.

And of course Gijimas apparently have just beat 3 fully dominant Nkhulu in Nkhulu territory ( KK ), meanwhile the only dominant coalition the PCM ever beat was Nhenha/NK who were only 2, only dominant for 1 month and with a weak bond from 6 months or so.

United Kingdom Vengeous Offline

(05-05-2024, 12:19 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Friarfan619 it was 2v3 and the Kambulas were already with low confidence after losing twice to the Gijimas days prior.

Regardless, Kambulas are semi-nomadic, which was my point. In terms of semi-nomadic/coalitions in the process of challenging, Gijimas won a 2v6, PCM never did anything anywhere as impressive, best feat in this regard was defeating 4 Kambulas months ago, but Gijimas defeated them way more recently.

And of course Gijimas apparently have just beat 3 fully dominant Nkhulu in Nkhulu territory ( KK ), meanwhile the only dominant coalition the PCM ever beat was Nhenha/NK who were only 2, only dominant for 1 month and with a weak bond from 6 months or so.

Not sure why there's a recurring insistence on comparing coalitions to each other given that they've managed their territory under vastly different circumstances. I think there's a tendency to also omit important context in these comparisons (the Nkhulus being in poor physical condition for months, the PCMs defeating Kambulas when they were reeling from losing K6 etc). Definitely think the Gijimas have faced more challenges in their territory (by virtue of the fact that their territory isn't fenced off like the PCMs' is on 3 sides), but not sure why so many of these conversations deteriorate into a coalition vs coalition comparison even though there's a near-zero chance of said coalitions even interacting with each other. 

I for one am wondering whether there's any chance of the Nkuhuma pride reruniting, given that two are with the PCMs and the rest are with the Talamti young male.
4 users Like Vengeous's post