There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-28-2024, 04:50 PM)KM600 Wrote: PCMs are taking a very big risk leaving their territory unoccupied with 3 Kambula males within reach of Mhangeni Pride and with that new male in the West. Ofcourse they wouldn’t know the position of all these males but they need to get back to their prides asap.

Exactly what I was mentioning yesterday. These boys have worked hard to build what is, so far, an impressive legacy. If they abandon the west, and all of their cubs are lost, it will all have been for naught.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Why kill her though??? She a potential mate. What am I missing??
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

Ttimemarti Offline

It looked like Chela either had a full belly or she was pregnant they also killed the tsalala female when she was heavily pregnant
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2024, 10:23 PM by T_Ferguson )

So, what I find interesting right now.  The Black Dam boys were with the Nkhuma's for some time, enough so that Mohawk and the boys scuttled off to Kruger.

Then... like Keyser Soze, they just vanished.  We had a sighting of them trying to dig a whole to the earth's core to get all the seats at the great pork buffet, and then.. nothing.

Along comes Khanya who mates with at least 4 if not all 6 Nkhuma girls, and then K4 strolls in and starts mating, with K5 dropping by for like a split second.  K4 and Khanya seemingly never run into each other but share mating duties with everyone in an over-lapping time span (a week?  10 days?)  The Chela sighting when she re-unites seemlngly after she lost her cubs was March 30th.

Now, in come the PCM's, they kill our girl Chela, and the BDM's K4, Khanya, and Mohawk and the boys are literally nowhere to be found again?

This Northern black hole in Sabi is a real story I'd say.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(04-28-2024, 08:27 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It looked like Chela either had a full belly or she was pregnant they also killed the tsalala female when she was heavily pregnant

She had just lost her cubs around the end of March.  Doubt she was pregnant again.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-28-2024, 10:23 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(04-28-2024, 08:27 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It looked like Chela either had a full belly or she was pregnant they also killed the tsalala female when she was heavily pregnant

She had just lost her cubs around the end of March.  Doubt she was pregnant again.

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing. When Khanya first started interacting with them, and was laying with the pride, it was believed that the cubs were still alive then. That wasn't very long ago, so I am guessing those suckle marks are from those lost cubs. The whole thing is just so heartbreaking, to go from so much hope, to losing any (for particular lions), in such a short span of time.

Ttimemarti Offline

Nkuhuma pride has been threw so much and it started with blondie and Mohawk trying to take the kambula pride since then the prides numbers have slowly decreased a new coalition must pride stability to the northern sabi sands
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(04-28-2024, 08:22 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Why kill her though??? She a potential mate. What am I missing??

Plains Camp males also killed Tsalala Queen when she was looking for males to mate with. I just assumed they were just too rough and amped up.
Very very sad for the lionesses.
2 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2024, 12:00 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-28-2024, 11:52 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: Plains Camp males also killed Tsalala Queen when she was looking for males to mate with. I just assumed they were just too rough and amped up.
Very very sad for the lionesses.

No, Tsalala was heavily pregnant when PCMs killed her, that was reason why they did it. 

In this case, Chela was not back in estrus yet and she prob was not submissive and maybe tried to protect the subs.

PCMs where seen in company of other NK female after that, doing no harm.

Sometimes, being in estrus or not, is difference between life and death..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Why are people saying Talamati mated with the NK pride? There's no sighting of this happening.

As for the PCM, they also remind me of the Mlowathi Mapogo in their behavior and I'm not happy seeing it.

And the Kambulas won't be weak forever, if all 4 survives for some more months, maybe the PCM eill end up like the Mlowathis, against the 4 Majingilane grandsons.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Canada Maghreb Offline

(04-27-2024, 12:10 AM)Mapokser Charleston Pride could possible have been a breakaway, as were  the Ravenscourt pride; from the Ximhungwe pride, and of course Tsalala.  Buth then I think, the Ravenscourt pride had a few males also. Wrote: @KM600 Rollercoasters weren't born in the Ximhungwe pride in the West, they were born in the Charleston pride in the South, and likely so was Makhulu.

Canada Maghreb Offline

(04-28-2024, 10:49 PM)Ttimemarti  I thought she had cubs by Black Dam males?  All the older Nk females all gone. Wrote: Nkuhuma pride has been threw so much and it started with blondie and Mohawk trying to take the kambula pride since then the prides numbers have slowly decreased a new coalition must pride stability to the northern sabi sands
1 user Likes Maghreb's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

I wonder what's up with Mohawk and Boys?  We haven't heard a peep about them in weeks.  Did they disappear again into Kruger?

The BDMs and NK Boys with Mohawk just disappeared from northern Sabi Sands.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(04-29-2024, 02:26 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: I wonder what's up with Mohawk and Boys?  We haven't heard a peep about them in weeks.  Did they disappear again into Kruger?

The BDMs and NK Boys with Mohawk just disappeared from northern Sabi Sands.

Last I heard all 4 males were in EP on a buffalo kill then just decided to leave Sabi Sands. They were spotted once in KNP but it’s been around 4 weeks I believe since that update. No telling how deep into KNP they may be.
2 users Like KM600's post

Go131810 Offline

(04-29-2024, 12:16 AM)Hi Mapokser Wrote: Why are people saying Talamati mated with the NK pride? There's no sighting of this happening.

As for the PCM, they also remind me of the Mlowathi Mapogo in their behavior and I'm not happy seeing it.

And the Kambulas won't be weak forever, if all 4 survives for some more months, maybe the PCM eill end up like the Mlowathis, against the 4 Majingilane grandsons.
The Plain camp male lions do not remind me of the Mapogos, but they do look like them. Some of the male lions look like Makulu with their dark manes like the male lions in the Torchwood pride, but I think they are strong lions is what male lions do. I do think is a problem though they are two male lions and in their prime, but if they keep going further and further from their the West other male lions might start noticing. If the Plain Camp male lions stay in the West and in their prime I think all of the cubs have a good chance to get raised with love into adulthood. If the Plain Camp male lions start going further and further there will be more lions around and will not be like the West where the younger single male lions. You mentioned the Kambula male lions, but I was thinking about the Black Damn male lions and wonder where they are, but what if the Black Damn male lions have fought them
And the Plain Camp male lions? That mean in the North a lot of male lions are coming in and out. That means the Black Damn male lions maybe have been fighting other male lions too maybe Mohawk and his sons maybe just chasing them but the Bkack Damn male lions maybe have fought the Kambulas or the male lions in the Torchwood pride. If the Black Damn male lions have been fighting than that means 2 vs 2 against the Plain Camp male lions with experience may not be good for the Plain Camp male lions. I was also thinking the other day the Kambula male lions maybe at some point with their experiences with other male lions it seems they have been fighting and running avoiding all the Dominant male lions in Sabi Sands; they will get the courage and as they get strong and growing might have an advantage with other male lions.
2 users Like Go131810's post