There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

There where 7 Talamatis with DM, of which 1 old female, 1 subadult male and 5 subadult females :

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-02-2021, 12:36 AM)Mistry109 Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 11:01 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Finally some word from Fourways, they had around 6 cubs/subadults around 1 year ago, so looks like majority of them are still alive (1 was older subadult male, so possible that he left them). 

Wonder where are 3 older females, possibly back in estrus and maybe with some new males, as by the looks of it, Kruger males completely abandon them.

Do you know the current make-up of the Fourways Pride? Like,
- number of females and their ages
- cubs/subs and ages? 

I know there is one older female and one majingi daughter as well as matshipri daughter.

I lost all my old info and trying to re-do everything. 
Any help would be so very appreciated.

Glad have you here my friend. Haven't heard much about the Fourways pride to be honest, so, any information about them will also help to myself.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 02:06 AM by Tr1x24 )

(10-02-2021, 12:36 AM)Mistry109 Wrote: Do you know the current make-up of the Fourways Pride? Like,
- number of females and their ages
- cubs/subs and ages? 

I know there is one older female and one majingi daughter as well as matshipri daughter.

I lost all my old info and trying to re-do everything. 
Any help would be so very appreciated.

Yea, theres 1 very old female, idk if she is still alive, but she would be around 14-15 yrs old, then as you said Majingilane daughter around 11 yrs old, and Matshapiri almost 6 yrs old.

Althrough on 1 MalaMala video, ranger said 4 adult females, so might be that 2 Matshapiri daughters are alive. 

And for cubs/subs, this is their photo from May 2020, prob born around mid 2019 :

So those 5 subs in MalaMala are these ones (2 older ones are males) they should be around 2.5 yrs old now.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2021, 02:51 AM by Tr1x24 )

Theres definitely 2 Matshapiris daughters still in Fourways pride, and not only 1 as previously taught, SS from MalaMala video :

And this is Majingilane daughter, sister of DM Fourways :

Her photo (left) with Dark Mane and her sister who didn't make it, almost 10 yrs ago :

Now, im not sure if old lioness is alive or not..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Mhangeni female Tinya :

Photo Credit : rangerstu24

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Young Tsalala female in Singita this morning, chasing Hosana and Nkuwa up trees 

7 users Like Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-02-2021, 02:43 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Mhangeni female Tinya :

Photo Credit : rangerstu24

She's going to be a big lioness. She has a very similar structure face as Auntie Othawa, IMO
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Is it known who sired the oldest Fourways lioness?
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-02-2021, 06:20 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Is it known who sired the oldest Fourways lioness?

No, 2 females came from Kruger around 2010, 1 was older 1 younger, older disappeared around 2014.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUhRqnnIrqa/?utm_medium=copy_link

Kambula female 
and her 4 cubs, posted by Mala Mala
2 users Like Mdz123's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

(10-02-2021, 02:32 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Theres definitely 2 Matshapiris daughters still in Fourways pride, and not only 1 as previously taught, SS from MalaMala video :
Thank you very much! Much appreciated. 
So the oldest subs must be Torchwood's offspring.
2 users Like Mabingilane's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Singita, Sabi Sand
Day 1 - Afternoon Safari Highlights 

With reports of a mating pair of Leopards on the property, as well as 2 Lionesses in the same area, we decided to head over and see if we could locate on any of the 2 big cat species. Once we got into the area, our guide spotted the 2 Lionesses (Tsalala Pride) lying in the Sand River. They both had full bellies and were enjoying the cool weather while sleeping on the sand in the river. 

Not long after we located on them, a call came in on the radio that a mating pair of Lions (Tumbela male and Mhangene Lioness) were found a distance away. As we got into the sighting, they started to mate, but unfortunately it was in a very dense area. They continued to walk through some extremely dense stands on bushwillow trees until we couldn't follow them any further. The sounds of the Lions and the sound of thunder at the same time definitely made up for the lack of visuals of the cats mating. The male even roared at one stage straight after mating.
Photo credits: Pravir Patel

7 users Like T I N O's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

(10-02-2021, 12:54 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Glad have you here my friend. Haven't heard much about the Fourways pride to be honest, so, any information about them will also help to myself.
Thanks man! Good to see you here too. Your posts are very impressive to say the least.
Keep up the fantastic work! 
I remember back in early to mid 2010 when the Majingilane took over 4ways pride. i have in my old notes a random quote from a ranger from 2010, before KT died:  

"The 5 young males stole a kill from the KNP Pride females". I'm guessing they were talking about 4ways pride.
2 users Like Mabingilane's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-03-2021, 01:07 AM)Mistry109 Wrote: Thank you very much! Much appreciated. 
So the oldest subs must be Torchwood's offspring.

All those subadults are prob sired by Kruger males, Torchwood was not dominant over the Fourways, he was only hanging with them and then left with 2 young boys when they got pressured by Kruger males (possibly even 5th Mantimahle was seen with them before Kruger males in early 2019) .

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-03-2021, 01:09 AM)Timbavati Wrote: Not long after we located on them, a call came in on the radio that a mating pair of Lions (Tumbela male and Mhangene Lioness) were found a distance away. As we got into the sighting, they started to mate, but unfortunately it was in a very dense area. They continued to walk through some extremely dense stands on bushwillow trees until we couldn't follow them any further. The sounds of the Lions and the sound of thunder at the same time definitely made up for the lack of visuals of the cats mating. The male even roared at one stage straight after mating.

So Skorro Jr mating with Mhangeni female, interesting.