There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Imbali/S8 male was mating with one of the Talamati females
Photo credits: Sharron Damant Hoffmann
Sabi Sands,posted: 29.09.2021 (It's most likely an old sighting from a few days ago)

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(09-29-2021, 05:16 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Finally a good sighting of the Kruger male. Any recent news about his brother?

His partner was with him in front of the cam on the 4th of September.

For some reason on most sightings it's this male that comes down by the pan alone and the other male tends to stay away. The lodge is right beside the pan and you can sometimes hear the guests talking and laughing so I think the other male is just more skittish around humans
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-29-2021, 05:38 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-29-2021, 02:19 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Throwback to a younger, lovely, Torchwood Lioness, Smudge Nose.  Posted in 2018.  Daughter of the boss Hairy Belly Matimba.  A whole generation has passed in just a few years!  

(09-29-2021, 02:33 AM)Timbavati Wrote: She's a good looking lioness. I'm still fairly curious with the age of this lioness. Here the pigmentation of his nose is still pink, Which makes me believed she isn't too old, around 7 or 8 as much, I guess; But apparently, from what I heard, she isn't daughter of the Matimba males. Hope someday I can clear that doubt.

Again, she is not sired by Matimbas no by Hairy Belly, she is 1 of the 4 original Torchwood lionesses. 

Here are more few photos. 

June 2012 :

Photo Credit : Tristan Dicks

April 2015

Photo Credits : Karin van der Merwe

Matimba cubs where born in early 2014 (if she was sired by Matimbas, she would be 1,5 yrs old on picture above..) and she is actually mother of Torchwood/Fourways male. 

March 2017  (Smudge on her nose appeared) 

Photo Credit : Cheetah Plains 

June 2018 

Photo Credit : Nkorho Bush Lodge 

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-29-2021, 07:09 PM by Timbavati Edit Reason: Information extra )

(09-29-2021, 05:24 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 02:19 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Throwback to a younger, lovely, Torchwood Lioness, Smudge Nose.  Posted in 2018.  Daughter of the boss Hairy Belly Matimba.  A whole generation has passed in just a few years!  

(09-29-2021, 02:33 AM)Timbavati Wrote: She's a good looking lioness. I'm still fairly curious with the age of this lioness. Here the pigmentation of his nose is still pink, Which makes me believed she isn't too old, around 7 or 8 as much, I guess; But apparently, from what I heard, she isn't daughter of the Matimba males. Hope someday I can clear that doubt.

Again, she is not sired by Matimbas no by Hairy Belly, she is 1 of the 4 original Torchwood lionesses. 

June 2012 :

April 2015

Matimba cubs where born in early 2014 (if she was sired by Matimbas, she would be 1,5 yrs old on picture above..) and she is actually mother of Torchwood/Fourways male. 

June 2018 

This is the Torchwood lioness in 2015 in Sabi Sands
Photo credits: Cheryl Anne Hamilton
She's definitely daughter of HB, Pink nose and the teeth aren't worn and yellow, which indicates that she's still a cub/sub-adult.
6 users Like Timbavati's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

She could be a Majingilane daughter since they had control over Fourways pride around 2011-12 and this lioness does have some connection with them
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-29-2021, 07:25 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: She could be a Majingilane daughter since they had control over Fourways pride around 2011-12 and this lioness does have some connection with them

With the recent photo I posted above, It's very unlikely she's daughter of the Majingilane coalition. I'll dare to say, 100% daughter of the Matimba males. The age is accurate as well.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(09-29-2021, 05:59 PM)Timbavati Wrote: This is the Torchwood lioness in 2015 in Sabi Sands
She's definitely daughter of HB, Pink nose and the teeth aren't worn and yellow, which indicates that she's still a cub/sub-adult.

Nice find. 

So this is her mother? Face, eyes and whisker spots are almost indentical. 

Based of that i was claiming she is one of the older, but that picture proves that she is sired by S. Matimbas.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

(09-29-2021, 05:59 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 05:24 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

June 2012 :

April 2015

June 2018 

This is the Torchwood lioness in 2015 in Sabi Sands

Yes, I knew she was HB's daughter.  The smudge on the nose and the fact that there was no other photo of her before 2014 that could have been of her.  The amount of pink in her nose from the 2018 photo clued me in that she could not be born way back in 2010.  She's the stand-out lioness of the Torchwood Pride.  Several of her older relatives do have rich amber eyes, though, even more than HB.  They lack the very ridged nose of some of the Matimba offspring.

Nice photo of her as a sub-adult.  That smudge was even more apparent!
2 users Like Cath2020's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

(09-29-2021, 09:32 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 05:59 PM)Timbavati Wrote: This is the Torchwood lioness in 2015 in Sabi Sands

Nice find. 

So this is her mother? Face, eyes and whisker spots are almost indentical. 

Based of that i was claiming she is one of the older, but that picture proves that she is sired by S. Matimbas.

The first time I saw this photo, I was struck by the fact that this lioness does not really look like a younger version of Smudge Nose.  At most, I thought she was an older female relative, maybe an aunt or mother.  She lacks the ridges and 'wizened' look of SN.  A photo in the Torchwood Pride Facebook Group remarked on the striking amber eyes of some of the females and males that were coming of age.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

Heard some strange news that one of the Plains Camp males is missing and might have been killed by the Bboys. Anybody know anything about. Don't spread it, it might be false information
3 users Like Slayerd's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Styx Cub
Credits: Daniel Perry
https://instagram.com/stories/lionsandsgamereserve/2673286518149279962?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=copy_link

1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Not seen/heard anything, did it come from that bboy Facebook group?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(09-30-2021, 04:54 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Not seen/heard anything, did it come from that bboy Facebook group?

Not the Bboys group but someone was saying it in the Kruger groups
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-30-2021, 04:28 AM)Slayerd Wrote: Heard some strange news that one of the Plains Camp males is missing and might have been killed by the Bboys. Anybody know anything about. Don't spread it, it might be false information

To be honest, I Haven't heard nothing about the possible death of one of the Plains camp males. I'll contact some rangers in WhatsAPP and see what I can get...
3 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

I hope thats not true..
4 users Like Tr1x24's post