There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(06-20-2021, 04:14 PM)Tonpa Wrote: MalaMala footage of the Nk-Styx & Kambula interaction

The young kambula males chased them away at the start, really cool to see
It's actually amazing how confident they are. They are going to be a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure. You can see how the youngest male who is 2, was walking in first as well. He and his sister have been fighting for their share their whole lives. The Nkuhuma ran from the Plain Camp males but these guys, even with only one lioness with them didn't back down. Truly incredible, no joke!!!
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-20-2021, 05:05 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-20-2021, 04:54 PM)Slayerd Wrote: It's actually amazing how confident they are. They are going to be a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure. You can see how the youngest male who is 2, was walking in first as well. He and his sister have been fighting for their share their whole lives. The Nkuhuma ran from the Plain Camp males but these guys, even with only one lioness with them didn't back down. Truly incredible, no joke!!!

Nkuhumas are much younger tbh, so that comparison is not realistic, some of them could easily get killed by PC boys.. 

But i agree, these Kambula youngsters are no joke, always in scars and always fighting fierce with Bboys and older Kambulas at dinner table..

Also, great to see that still all 11 youngsters are together and doing well.

I think this area in southern MalaMala, ex Sparta pride territory, will be next territory of Kambula breakeaway, they love to hang out in that area.

If they stay there, Nwaswitshakas will be strong contenders to claim that pride, when young females mature.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Nice video showing interactions between lions, buffalos, elephants and spotted hyenas and above all the solidarity inside the pride around a buffalo' corpse, a likely buffalo they have killed before.

" MalaMala Safari Moments: Episode 92. An action-packed sighting that started with members of the Kambula pride being chased off their buffalo kill by a herd of buffaloes and then reclaimed it only to be chased off again by two young males who they eventually ended up sharing with! ... From MalaMala Game Reserve to wherever you are in the world, we'll bring you moments from our daily safaris in one of Africa's most iconic private game reserves. This is essentially a continuation of our 'Rangers in Isolation' series which was filmed during the national Lockdown. "
8 users Like Spalea's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Diff Marimane (@diffmarimane) • Instagram photos and videos

Latest images of the Mhangeni pride. 

Ive been told all the lionesses are there but there are cubs missing. 
I think there are six adults present. Though I am not familiar enough with the pride to know how many adult lionesses there should be.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Yeah I believe its 5 mature lionesses and one sub-adult "Tinya" who is pretty much adult size.

I only count 5 in the picture, and the one year old cub, have I missed one? 

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

I also counted the one between 3 and 4. Though she does seem a bit smaller now that you mention it.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

The two cubs aren't there so maybe their mother isn't in this picture, it's pretty unfortunate if they have lost the entire other litter
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Contributor

It seems to be the case though.
Which would be sad, but somewhat expected. 

I really wish Londolozi did some kind of wildlife report like some of the other parks do. 
So we can get some straight forward answers for once instead of playing detective ourselves. 

Its also weird that on mothersday OM deaths went public. And now on Fathers day we are discussing another related death again.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

¡Happy Father’s Day!

Wonderful photos from the old era, back to 2013 of the legendary Hairy Belly with his cubs from the Torchwood pride, it is great that one of these cubs became a king in his prime and now rules large areas in Kruger. Thus, the great father should provide his cubs with protection and safety until the age at which they are able to take charge of themselves to create their own future.

Sabi Sands, South Africa.
Photographer Credit:
To follow & for Print: @jorsdannhauser

6 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Love in the wilderness.

Here is one of the two remaining Birmingham/Gowrie males, the main suspects of killing the Othawa male, it wasn’t their only problem, they have many threats surrounding and challenging them, the northern Avoca males. Those who watch constantly enter the heart of their region and announce their presence. We don't know how it will all end but time will tell for sure.

Sabi Sands , South Africa.
Photographer credit:
to follow & for print: @saf_on_safari
8 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-21-2021, 02:20 PM by Tonpa )

WE sunrise stream today, Two talamati females, one with quite a big belly 

This younger female

The more older female - seemingly pregnant

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-21-2021, 04:10 PM by Tonpa )

some more interesting stuff, saw this on FB 

Apparently the styx male and some kambulas in singita 

4 users Like Tonpa's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-21-2021, 02:15 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Yeah I believe its 5 mature lionesses and one sub-adult "Tinya" who is pretty much adult size.

You actually did miss one, she is between your numbers 3 and 4, with her face poitned to the right of the photo.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(06-21-2021, 06:10 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 02:15 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Yeah I believe its 5 mature lionesses and one sub-adult "Tinya" who is pretty much adult size.

You actually did miss one, she is between your numbers 3 and 4, with her face poitned to the right of the photo.

That one I think is the one year old cub since it looks a bit smaller, what dya think?
2 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

Thats the same mistake I made.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post