There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Arathusa saw 7 Nkuhuma cubs, from 3 lionesses 

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-21-2021, 10:27 PM by Tonpa )

"We came upon the Styx pride and the Ndzenga males, and what a sighting it turned out to be. "

is it just lion sands that calls them Ndzhenga?
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-21-2021, 10:25 PM)Tonpa Wrote: is it just lion sands that calls them Ndzhenga?

Yes, they named them Ndzhenga, althrough i think MalaMala also use that name.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-21-2021, 06:35 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Thats the same mistake I made.

Must have been distracted when I read over that, would have saved @Tonpa a reply if I had read it correctly. Multitasking a little too much these past couple of weeks I suppose.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

All three Nkuhuma lionesses & 7 cubs seen recently, not 5 cubs as originally thought. 

3 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 06:34 PM by Duco Ndona )

https://blog.londolozi.com/2021/06/22/th...er-vacuum/

It seems there was a minor alteration between the Avocas and Birmingham males. But nothing to change the status quo between the two.

Also I wonder if that lioness is the missing lioness from the Mhangenis.

Edit: Heh.. that teaches me to not spend minutes editing a text.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United Kingdom Hairy tummy Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-22-2021, 07:08 PM by Hairy tummy )

Sounds to me like they are writing off the bboys, i think they have lots left to give, especially nhenha. If the bboys stick together they should be fine
Just had a thought it was blondie v mohawk for the female
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

They are confident that they still have some fights in them.

But ultimately. They have enemies and time is among them. Betting against them is the safe bet in the long run.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

hope this wasn't just mohawk fighting blondie for the right to mate with that female lol
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Probably not. She arrived later and they were still too much on edge to be fully interested.

Had she been the cause of the fight. They would have not let her walk off first.

Spain marlon Offline
New Join

Hey guys, The Bboys are 10 years old?
1 user Likes marlon's post

United States sundarbans Offline

How did the Birmingham males get their unique names? Almost all the other male lions in the Sabi Sands, even legendary coalitions such as the Majingilanes and the Mapogos, have been named after physical identifying features e.g. Dark Mane, Scar Nose, Mr. T, Kinky Tail etc. But the Birminghams don't seem to follow the same naming convention. Or am I missing something and their names actually allude to physical features in a language other than English?
2 users Like sundarbans's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

They were named by WildEarth.

https://wildearth.tv/2016/10/knighting-the-birminghams/

They apparently received pushback for doing this, not sure by whom, but they no longer give the lions personal names now, just descriptive monikers.
5 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Tsalala sub-adult lioness seen this week. Her mother wasn't seen with her, but probably not too far from her. They stick pretty close together and the sub-adult has been helping with the hunts from what the rangers understand. 
Photo credit: K. Joscelyne

*This image is copyright of its original author
11 users Like lionuk's post

Germany BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(06-23-2021, 08:02 PM)lionuk Wrote: Tsalala sub-adult lioness seen this week. Her mother wasn't seen with her, but probably not too far from her. They stick pretty close together and the sub-adult has been helping with the hunts from what the rangers understand. 
Photo credit: K. Joscelyne

*This image is copyright of its original author

She looks fantastic. Really concerned for this little one a couple of times, especially when mom got cornered by the Kambulas.
3 users Like BA0701's post