There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 12:35 PM by Rishi )

N'was males and a Styx lioness, posted by Sabi Sabi
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-05-2021, 12:34 PM by Rishi )

It seems like the Styx and Nkuhuma young males are after the Mangheni pride. The are hanging around the former territory of the Othawa male and were seen following lionesses from the pride. I hope things don't go badly for any of these lions
3 users Like Mdz123's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-26-2021, 04:39 PM)Psyckoo Wrote: A think that I didn't know... 
When Makhulu & Pretty Boy go nomads after Mr.t death it was Sizanani & his brother who take under control Othawa pride as Selati was with the Ximhungwe pride killing the previous cubs males...
They were chased away sometimes after by the Selati males, and today their sons (and of course son of Skorro) rule this same pride...
Credit Adam Bannister

*This image is copyright of its original author

I think it was at Mapogo reign (I am not sure tho) when Nkuchuma males were seen with Othawa lionesses althrought takeover is much too big words to describe it. Mapogos did not care much about Othawa pride as in 2011 all "adult" lionesses died out leaving Mapogo's offspring to run the pride and the young Othawa females were not intrested in mating with their fathers. Salatis on the other hand cared a lot about Othawa pride, not less then about Ximughwe so if some males would want to hang out with Othawa females they would have to get through Salati males first.
3 users Like Potato's post

Sweden Mangw Offline

Is the new cubs sired by auntie 1 or auntie 2? and who was infertile?
2 users Like Mangw's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

It's Juniors mother I believe
2 users Like Tonpa's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

I believe Big Auntie hasn't had any litters for years now.  I only ever read of one occasion where she had a litter and they were killed off.  I don't believe she ever conceived again, unfortunately.  Hard to explain why.  Did she just become infertile at a young age?
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-26-2021, 09:38 PM by Duco Ndona )

Jrs mom.
Only Sassy and her are fertile. Of which the latter being a struggling mother

She lost HB's cubs earlier this year due to the Tumbellas. And now she also took a very long time for some reason.

Most lion pride have fertility issues to some degree as there are some mayor advantages to it.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Contributor

Is that a theory or something that's been observed?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Sweden Mangw Offline

Does somebody know how many diffirent litters the talamati sub-adults were and who are littlermates? Because i cant find any info about it.
1 user Likes Mangw's post

Contributor

(06-26-2021, 11:24 PM)Mangw Wrote: Does somebody know how many diffirent litters the talamati sub-adults were and who are littlermates? Because i cant find any info about it.

I don't think anybody knows, they used to spend a lot of time in the Manyeleti back then so weren't photographed a lot

Contributor

A while ago I went through and found every reference to the Talamati cubs on FB to try and workout how many litters there are, but the information is all over the place. I'll put it here 

31st January 2019 - Cheetah Plains
We located a couple of Avoca male lions along with 3 Talamati lionesses. It does seem that the one lioness has Cubs, but one seemed to have somehow died & was being fed on by a hyena nearby. 

6th February 2019 - Tintswalo
The Talamati pride have been moving through their regular areas in the south, often in the presence of the young Avoca males. One of the females is lactating, and we are hoping to get a good view of the cubs soon

16th Febryary 2019 - Tintswalo
The Talamati pride are still keeping us in suspense. Even with daily sightings of the females this past week, we still haven’t been fortunate to lay eyes on any cubs.

24th March 2019 - AtCloseQuarters
Some brilliant tracking later and we caught up with the Talamati lioness with the injured eye and her two young cubs. The reason it was bittersweet is because we soon realised that one of the cubs has a badly injured hind leg which was causing it difficulties when walking.

29th March 2019 - Tintswalo
Hot off this mornings safari! The 5 beautiful cubs of the Talamati Pride. Our guests and guides are ecstatic!

30th March 2019 - Cheetah Plains 
The talamati pride of lions has some new cubs . It seems like they’re from 2 lionesses, with a couple being about 3 weeks and a couple being slightly old (probably 5/6 weeks).

31st March 2019 - Tintswalo
We have finally seen the Talamati cubs, and it was worth the wait. 5 new beautiful cubs are with the pride and are in good condition. Another one of the females is pregnant and this pride could soon be back up to the super pride it used to be.

14th April 2019 - AtCloseQuarters
We heard that the Talamati pride had a wildebeest kill and headed there. We found them. Amazingly for us, the 5 small cubs were also at the kill.

15th April 2019 - AtCloseQuarters
We went in search of the small lion cubs in the north and managed to find them in a nice open spot. This was a fantastic photographic opportunity for everyone and everyone got some fantastic shots of the little cubs. Unfortunately, it seems another cub has lost the use of its hind legs. We think some of the cubs may be suffering from white muscle disease. Hopefully it manages to recover.

17th April 2019 - AtCloseQuarters
We decided to look for the lions cubs and to get some more images of them. We headed north and after some tracking we managed to find them. They were playing, suckling and generally interacting, which gave everyone some fabulous photographic opportunities.

21st April 2019 - AtCloseQuarters
We moved further north and then bumped into a Talamati female who we followed for over an hour. She led us to the other females and another Avoca male lion. To our jubilation, we found the cubs all together and managed to spend some time with them before we had to make the journey back to camp.

22nd April 2019 - Tintswalo
The Talamati pride was seen with the third Avoca brother with their four cubs, so it appears they have lost the 5th cub as we haven’t seen it the whole week.

14th May 2019 - Tintswalo
The Talamati pride is being seen almost daily in the south with the 4 cubs and in presence of one of the Avoca males. These cubs are growing every day and have even started testing meat as we saw the pride with the cubs eating on an impala.

19th May 2019 - AtCloseQuarters
This morning we could hear lions roaring from camp and decided to see if we could find them. We headed north and found tracks almost immediately. After 30 minutes we managed to find two Talamati lionesses, an Avoca male and 5 small cubs.

29th May 2019 - Tintswalo
The Talamati Pride has also shown us two new cubs taking the total up to six cubs, with another female also showing new suckle marks. We have identified at least two females and two males within the cubs.

5th June 2019 - Tintswalo
We found two new cubs with the Talalamti Pride, taking the total up to 8 cubs.

22nd June 2019 - Tingswalo
The Talamati Pride is now up to 9 cubs. The females and dark maned Avoca male are doing a fantastic job of keeping them safe in the south of the reserve.

6th July 2019 - Cheetah Plains
The talamati pride was chased off their waterbuck kill by an Avoca male lion. 
They moved off with their 9 cubs in tow! 

25th July 2019 - Tintswalo
The Talamati Pride in the south seem to have lost 1 cub and are down to 8 cubs. 

8th September 2019 - Cheetah Plains
The entire talamati pride & their 9 cubs were drenched following the first rains of the season! They are really looking in fantastic condition, and the pride is now getting large! 

11th October 2019 - Tintswalo
The Talamati pride and Avoca male have been down in the south and the long drive down there is always so worth the view of the 9 cubs.
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

A bit of both...
Its not uncommon to hear about infertile lionesses and I recall only 30 to 40 percent or so of heat cycles results in pregnancy. So they are not that fertile. 

Which got me wondering why this is, as you would expect the fertile ones would breed out the infertile ones.
I think its because it helps to keep a healthier cub adult ratio in the pride. So there are more lionesses for each cub to hunt and protect them.
And since the infertile lionesses keep mating, this keeps the male lions interested in the pride. So they don't wander off to find their sex elsewhere leaving the pride exposed. 

This increases the chance of the cubs survival. Which may give a pride an edge over a pride of fertile myrtles.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-27-2021, 02:31 PM by Tonpa )

Any ideas who these are? It was uploaded by a guest @tessa_lethoko currently in Singita 

A young female with a male behind her (I think that's a male)

https://streamable.com/v1bbub
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-27-2021, 02:30 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Any ideas who these are? It was uploaded by a guest @tessa_lethoko currently in Singita 

A young female with a male behind her (I think that's a male)

https://streamable.com/v1bbub

I doesn't look like females from either Mhangeni, Othawa or Styx pride so I bet those are Kambula subs.
3 users Like Potato's post

Contributor

"The avoca males giving us a beautiful call in the morning just after they had young males were calling on the background. Swipe to see one on the young male."

It's interesting that with all the free real estate around Sabi at the moment, the plains camp males are choosing to hang around Northern Sabi in Avoca territory