There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

lionuk Offline
Contributor

@Tonpa I thought tattered ear probably was dead since there's not a confirmed sighting of her in months..
1 user Likes lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(06-17-2021, 09:34 PM)lionuk Wrote: @Tonpa I thought tattered ear probably was dead since there's not a confirmed sighting of her in months..

That's the nick-eared Nkuhuma lioness, shes's probably dead yeah
2 users Like Tonpa's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-17-2021, 09:29 PM)Tonpa Wrote: That's unfortunate, seems to be one from each litter from what I saw. Do you know where he wrote this?

As sad as it is, I think it's news we've all been preparing for. He said it in the comments in his blog about OM's death.

https://blog.londolozi.com/2021/06/13/the-othawa-male-what-really-happened-that-night/
*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like BA0701's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Styx lioness near Bush Lodge, and it was not long before she came out of the riverbed, calling for her cubs. The four little cubs came rushing towards her. She then turned around and walked them all the way to a kill that the pride had made early this morning.

7 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Perhaps its Nkym and Sym? If so and they are behind the killings it does not bode well for OM's offspring.

I wonder of one of the cubs was the surviving oldest cub?
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-17-2021, 10:35 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Perhaps its Nkym and Sym? If so and they are behind the killings it does not bode well for OM's offspring.

I wonder of one of the cubs was the surviving oldest cub?

On the latest sighting, there was that older cub and 2 small ones, but not all females where there, it was said that rest of the cubs where with other females, but i think thats only speculation..

We need to see when all of the Mhangenis will be seen together..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Not sure who this is, no other pictures. Taken in londolozi

4 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-18-2021, 02:25 AM by lionuk )

@Tonpa looks like it's either Styx male or Nk male.
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-18-2021, 01:44 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Not sure who this is, no other pictures. Taken in londolozi

Its Plains Camp male, male with bigger mane.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Would be good to get some mantimahle genes into sabi sands
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

"Pride of lions eating the buffalo this morning"

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Sweden Mangw Offline

(06-18-2021, 01:57 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "Pride of lions eating the buffalo this morning"

Kambula Pride
5 users Like Mangw's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-18-2021, 05:41 PM by Tonpa )

Some interesting info from Londolozi sightings of the week, no photos unfortunately 

"And last, but not least in any way shape or form was the Nkuhuma pride killing a large buffalo bull in the north two mornings ago out in plain sight. Expecting them to be in the area for at least two days based on the size of the buffalo, we were surprised to find two young male lions, supposedly the Plains Camp males had chased the pride off and hung around to finish off the remains, photographically this was a very tricky sighting so we never got any decent photos of them and therefore were unable to confirm if it is them."
https://blog.londolozi.com/2021/06/18/th...tures-497/
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

James Tyrell mentioned on Instagram that it was two older lionesses and all of the sub-adults. Guess they aren't allowed near the cubs for now

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQQqliUgni9/
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Curious. 
I wonder if they were the two that were stalking the Mhangeni earlier and now moved on.