There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(06-29-2021, 02:05 AM)lionuk Wrote: Just did a little research to find the distance from Umkumbe to Sabi Sabi and it is around 7.7km. Isn't it where Southern Pride is from Umkumbe?

Umkumbe borders Sabi Sabi in the north, but idk where Southern Pride was located in Sabi Sabi.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-29-2021, 10:48 AM by Tonpa )

Interesting interaction between the Othawa youngsters the Nws males 
https://www.sabisabi.com/blog/27488/clash-of-the-kings

Orange eyes? took over the kill from the Othawa youngsters and chased them off,  but one of the young males and "gingerella" returned and he allowed them to feed. The rest of the Nws males appeared and chased them away

*This image is copyright of its original author

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Gavskrr Online
magVarseVE

(06-29-2021, 10:43 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Interesting interaction between the Othawa youngsters the Nws males 

Orange eyes? took over the kill from the Othawa youngsters and chased them off,  but one of the young males and "gingerella" returned and he allowed them to feed. The rest of the Nws males appeared and chased them away

This gathering serves as a wake-up call to youngsters Othawa, although N'was shared the meal for a while, there will be no other case like this. They still tried to resist, which is not a good sign, I hope they back off and avoid that kind of confrontation
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Its the chain of priorities for a male lion. 

Safety first. Then depending on how hungry they are food and sex, then territory. 
So when the Nwas arrived. They first claimed the kill. Then allowed Gingerella to feed hoping for a whiff of her urine indicating she would be getting into heat soon. And then once the kill was secured and Gingerella was determined not to be a potential mate. They chased them off proper.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Southern Pride female and her two cubs seen today, still feeding on the kill that she had recently made. After a short while, a large herd of buffalo made their way onto the scene. She cautiously moved off and kept a close eye on the movements of the buffalo. The buffalo could sense that there was danger lurking in the area and soon enough they made a hasty retreat.

5 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(06-29-2021, 10:43 AM)Tonpa Wrote: Interesting interaction between the Othawa youngsters the Nws males 

I do not get why take the risk while being already so full belied.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Yeah, could've easily lost one of the boys here. 

I thought Orange Eyes reaction to the Othawa female was interesting, letting her feed freely. I wonder if she's now old enough to return to the Othawa pride without being attacked by the Tumbelas
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(06-29-2021, 06:27 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Yeah, could've easily lost one of the boys here. 

I thought Orange Eyes reaction to the Othawa female was interesting, letting her feed freely. I wonder if she's now old enough to return to the Othawa pride without being attacked by the Tumbelas

That alone/first male is Amahle/Dominant one, not Orange Eyes.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(06-29-2021, 07:53 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 06:27 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Yeah, could've easily lost one of the boys here. 

That alone/first male is Amahle/Dominant one, not Orange Eyes.

Oh, he lost some of his mane?

Gijima Offline

@Tonpa You follow the WildEarth crew closely... what's up with this ID? They always say Nkuhuma PE lost a son but clearly she didn't? This seems pretty solid: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC99Vx5P3kwma5Fcnnng1Icw/community?lb=UgxYzB0qfrDgaG3LPsR4AaABCQ. I wonder if they ever officially correct that. I know the subs are still 2 y/o so maybe not worth worrying about until they get older.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(06-29-2021, 08:08 PM)Gijima Wrote: @Tonpa You follow the WildEarth crew closely... what's up with this ID? They always say Nkuhuma PE lost a son but clearly she didn't? This seems pretty solid: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC99Vx5P3kwma5Fcnnng1Icw/community?lb=UgxYzB0qfrDgaG3LPsR4AaABCQ. I wonder if they ever officially correct that. I know the subs are still 2 y/o so maybe not worth worrying about until they get older.

Can't answer unfortunately, I started watching after the Nkuhumas had moved out of Djuma so I wasn't around for those births. But i'll ask someone and let you know

Gijima Offline

(06-29-2021, 08:22 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 08:08 PM)Gijima Wrote: @Tonpa You follow the WildEarth crew closely... what's up with this ID? They always say Nkuhuma PE lost a son but clearly she didn't? This seems pretty solid: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC99Vx5P3kwma5Fcnnng1Icw/community?lb=UgxYzB0qfrDgaG3LPsR4AaABCQ. I wonder if they ever officially correct that. I know the subs are still 2 y/o so maybe not worth worrying about until they get older.

Can't answer unfortunately, I started watching after the Nkuhumas had moved out of Djuma so I wasn't around for those births. But i'll ask someone and let you know

Thanks.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-29-2021, 10:32 PM by Tonpa )

Limper I think with the Tsalala Lioness 
Video by Neil Jennings
https://streamable.com/u2zwr7
3 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-29-2021, 10:46 PM by Mabingilane )

I got a message from E.P lodge and they claim that the 7 Nkuhuma cubs are doing well and are from 2 litters and not 3. One female apparently gave birth to 5 cubs according to the various rangers after "fact checking". I thought there were 3 litters of 2:3:2. I guess not then.
3 users Like Mabingilane's post

Gijima Offline

I originally thought that too based on the size of the cubs. I read that all three are lactating so I wonder where the third litter is?
2 users Like Gijima's post