There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-25-2023, 03:49 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Have any coalitions of 2 or less held onto that section of Mala Mala and Londoloza in the past several years?  It seems like that area is where the larger coalitions hold territory until they get caught and torn up, and then they move West or north or south.  Obviously too soon to speculate, or be worried, but man am I a a bit upset about Amahle.  I hope it really is minor, or Gore and Orange eyes get there soon.

Birminghams being down to 2 were holding it and also northern Avocas hold some part of it. From 2015 to mid 2017 Matshapiris hold it as well as Matimbas were holding some part of it in the same time. Before Majingilanes there were also 2 youngest Mapogos, Split Rock males and Rollercoaster males.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 03:05 PM by Potato )

Having re-gouped, the 3 dominate males were still roaring this morning and searching for the intruders who in turn were roaring back!

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 03:52 PM by Tr1x24 )

Looks like Ndhzegas push BDM's back north, as BDM's are seen back north today, scaring off Mohawk and NK subs from a kill.

BDM's causing a lot of action recently.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

(03-25-2023, 02:58 PM)Potato Wrote: Having re-gouped, the 3 dominate males were still roaring this morning and searching for the intruders who in turn were roaring back!

IF those are this morning pics, then it doesn't look like Amahle had too much done to him.  Poor Mohawk.  I am so sad for him right now.  I guess right now the only saving thought is that the BDM's are not very hyper-aggressive, and I think Mohawk is smart enough to flee, and might accept the subs to go with him.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

(03-25-2023, 03:50 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like Ndhzegas push BDM's back north, as BDM's are seen back north today, scaring off Mohawk and NK subs from a kill.

BDM's causing a lot of action recently.

So it appears

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Timbavati Online
Moderators

Interesting times ahead for the Black dam young males
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 10:46 PM by Mapokser )

Interesting and brave move by the BDM roaring back, meaning they accept the challenge ( they probably got excited by having a female ).

I'm happy the Ndhzenga is fine, his coalition and the Kambulas have much to lose, but looking from the BDM's perspective, is it just me or are they burning all their luck away?

They have been in SS for a while now, they are 5 already and are mostly facing much weaker competition in the name of Mohawk and Imbali ( 2v1 is too much for any lion ), still they haven't been able to oust Mohawk for good and when actually caught him, allowed him to leave with just a minor limp. Then they met Imbali and got chased off by him.

And now they got a golden opportunity, getting the strongest Ndhzenga alone but once more failed to deliver a decisive blow that would put them in an amazing position having only 2 males at their south and lone males north of them.

A more decisive coalition getting such a "good hand" wouldn't allow all these opportunities to go away.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Germany BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(03-25-2023, 10:44 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Interesting and brave move by the BDM roaring back, meaning they accept the challenge ( they probably got excited by having a female ).

I'm happy the Ndhzenga is fine, his coalition and the Kambulas have much to lose, but looking from the BDM's perspective, is it just me or are they burning all their luck away?

They have been in SS for a while now, they are 5 already and are mostly facing much weaker competition in the name of Mohawk and Imbali ( 2v1 is too much for any lion ), still they haven't been able to oust Mohawk for good and when actually caught him, allowed him to leave with just a minor limp. Then they met Imbali and got chased off by him.

And now they got a golden opportunity, getting the strongest Ndhzenga alone but once more failed to deliver a decisive blow that would put them in an amazing position having only 2 males at their south and lone males north of them.

A more decisive coalition getting such a "good hand" wouldn't allow all these opportunities to go away.

Confidence building, they are young, and the perils of being nomads can cause them to hesitate from being unsure of themselves. PC Males spent a long time feeling things out as well, before they began attacking with confidence. Look how slow the 3 Tumbelas were to take the Othawas from HB, it was a bloodless coupe that took weeks. Heck, HB caused all 3 to run away simply be coming into view, and he was 15 at the time.

A couple of weeks before that all happened HB was caught on video riding a buffalo, that lion gave us all so many incredible moments.
6 users Like BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-25-2023, 11:32 PM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser 

As @BA0701 said, despite being 5 yrs old, looks like BDM's still might have some hesitation and lack that "instant killer confidence".

Which is normal for young nomadic males trying to establish themselves, "blitzkrieg" approach like Gijimas did is not that common, more often it takes months for young males to establish themselves.

Regardless, they are on a good road to become fully territorial here in near future.

Despite Mohawk still hanging in "his" territory, he is avoiding and running from BDM's , meaning that BDM's are pretty much taking the area as the next territorial males here.

Also about the fights, not sure if its confirmed that they fight Mohawk, as he had no scars/injuries except limp, which was prob from the hunt. As for Amahle fight, we had no context , lioks like it was quick fight based of outcome, so prob reinforcement was near to chase them out.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(03-25-2023, 10:44 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm happy the Ndhzenga is fine, his coalition and the Kambulas have much to lose, but looking from the BDM's perspective, is it just me or are they burning all their luck away?
They did, through they are still in great spot on the long run. Weak competition around and lots of females around to grab, especially if daughters of Avocas from the Talamati pride will return to the region. Even if those Talamatis wonąt reurn at all then still 3 Nkuchuma females (daughter of Matimbas and 2 daughters of Avocas) and Torchwood pride should be easy grabs. On just a bit longer also rest of Nkuchuma females and Talamati pride will be for grab as well.
3 users Like Potato's post

For me at this point as a newbie with growing but limited knowledge here, the curiosity for me moving forward is with the N'Was looking north and the Black Dam's what are the Gijima's going to be up to?  Could the N'Was end up fighting on 2 fronts, or will the BDM's retire themselves to the north and stop pressing to Kambula territory?

Then all the large groupings of males down to the south in Skukuza.  Where are all those boys headed?  Especially Dreadlocks De Laporte's group.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@BA0701 Yeah I get they are still feelings things and getting awareness of the situation and building up their confidence, but BDM are roaring, scent-marking and chasing opponents for a while, as well are established in the north so they are fully territorial males already with a proper territory of their own, only lacking a pride.

As for HB yeah he was amazing, one of my favorites. Tumbelas were shy but also full on nomads when HB chased them.

@Tr1x24 I get it but Gijimas were younger than them, so were the S.Avocas also not losing any opportunities to chase or beat up the outnumbered opposition, beating up a Matimba and Matshipiri at 4yo.

BDM are fully territorial already unlike these examples above, 5yo too, have a strong bond, they shouldn't be getting chased by Imbali and also should put more effort when attacking lone males.

It was reported Mohawk was chased and caught by BDM, he wouldn't have had escaped from the chase if he already had a limp, he escaped because they gave him the limp and allowed him to leave. Tumbela also got the same limp after being attacked by Nhenha and NK, also with no scratches, this is normal when brief 2v1 happens. In this new fight it's unlikely 2/3 Ndhzengas saved their brother because he was seen alone post fight roaring and the BDM were seen still close to him.

It's of course unusual for 4yo not actually territorial/fully territorial like Avocas and Gijimas to do this stuff, but 5yo fully territorial males like BDM usually perform better than this.

But anyway it's true that their overall position is still good and promising.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

1999gc8 Online

Footage of the Black Dam males roaring and also killing a hyena towards the end of the video.

7 users Like 1999gc8's post

( This post was last modified: 03-26-2023, 03:41 AM by T_Ferguson )

(03-26-2023, 03:08 AM)1999gc8 Wrote: Footage of the Black Dam males roaring and also killing a hyena towards the end of the video.

So they've decided without question it's time for them to be heard.  It's a bold strategy cotton.  Let's see it pays off for them..

One more male seen nearish to Mala Mala apparently.

Nkuhuma male was sighted (claimed) in Londolozi near the Mangheni pride.

6 users Like T_Ferguson's post