There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Ndzhenga males and a lioness

4 users Like Tonpa's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(02-01-2022, 10:56 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: They where last seen at Pretoriuskop, so its not out of possibility that they traveled further south (ofc if they are even alive).
That I did not know. Some journey that, it's an incredible distance.
2 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Who knows? Nomadic lions typically just wander around aimlessly. I guess this is the amount if distance they would travel if they were to go in a more straight line. 

The savanna is a lot more empty than people think it is. While the land itself is part of some lodge or some lions territory. The chance of one lion encountering another lion or human is quite small if it is not deliberately seeking it out. So there is no real reason for them taking huge detours.

Contributor

Lions
  • This month has been one for the Plains Camp males when it comes to the lion dynamics on the property. These two males have gotten the year off to a great start, having mated with both of the Nkuhuma lionesses and spending a large amount of time with the two of them, providing us with many great sightings of them interacting.
  • The Nkuhuma lionesses remain on the property and seem to have made themselves at home. When not with the Plains Camp males, we have viewed these females hunting together and both feeding on several prey species. They are both in very good condition.
  • It has been a quiet month for the Mhangene Pride who we have only seen on very few occasions earlier on in the month. We believe them to have moved into some of the southern portions of the reserve at this stage however, with youngsters in the pride and with pressure from the Nzenga males further south, we are sure they will be back soon.

https://singita.com/2022/01/singita-sabi...nuary-2022
7 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor

The newest Torchwood litter (I think)

by Deborah Calmey currently at Cheetah Plains

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 09:39 PM by Tonpa )

Mhangenes on a kill today - They are currently on Savanna

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-03-2022, 07:06 PM by Tonpa )

Btw, saw a discussion about this on the Timbavati thread, would you guys prefer threads for each pride or sticking with this thread?

I'd be happy to make some threads for the most updated prides, the othawas, Nkuhumas, Talamatis etc (assuming the admins are okay with it)

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-03-2022, 07:06 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Btw, saw a discussion about this on the Timbavati thread, would you guys prefer threads for each pride or sticking with this thread?

I'd be happy to make some threads for the most updated prides, the othawas, Nkuhumas, Talamatis etc  (assuming the admins are okay with it)

I think admins need to decide if they want to go that route, to make multiple threads for prides and coalitions and not posting everything in "Lions of Sabi Sands" or "Coalitions of Kruger".
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(02-03-2022, 10:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 07:06 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Btw, saw a discussion about this on the Timbavati thread, would you guys prefer threads for each pride or sticking with this thread?

I'd be happy to make some threads for the most updated prides, the othawas, Nkuhumas, Talamatis etc  (assuming the admins are okay with it)

I think admins need to decide if they want to go that route, to make multiple threads for prides and coalitions and not posting everything in "Lions of Sabi Sands" or "Coalitions of Kruger".

I myself love more specificity.   This Sabi sands thread is massive.   I recall when I started, I wanted to know only about certain histories,,,for example Tsalala….but had to comb through EVERYTHING here.   Would splitting up by sector be an idea too?   Ie.  western sector, south Sabi Sands, East, etc…?   Just a thought
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

Contributor

@peter 

Any thoughts Peter? Would you be okay with us opening threads for individual, well-followed Prides?
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(02-03-2022, 10:11 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Threads exist for a few Kruger coalitions, for example, there is a thread for young Jocks, but it got “forgotten” and now all their sightings are posted in Coalitions of Kruger thread
2 users Like Mdz123's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

More clips of Mhangeni Pride
Credit: Dulini

4 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-04-2022, 12:44 AM by Duco Ndona )

I think they should get their own threads as well. The Birmingham pride has one. And that ones is great. I would love to see one about the Tsalala, Ximhungwe or Othawa pride.

It would keep the information neatly organized and it always struck me as weird that the coalitions got their own threads but the prides didn't. Their lives are just as exciting and important as the male ones.
Compared to the large amount of male coalition threads now and expected in the future, there probably wont be that many extra threads as new mayor prides form a lot rarer. While they also can easily last for decades ensuring there is plenty to talk about for a long while. 

It would also save the lions of X threads for nomadic lions or general discussion's about the reserve itself. Helping keeping things get organized while avoiding confusion regarding prides that live on the border.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-03-2022, 11:16 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Threads exist for a few Kruger coalitions, for example, there is a thread for young Jocks, but it got “forgotten” and now all their sightings are posted in Coalitions of Kruger thread

Problem is that most people visit 1st page, page 2 or 3 are not as visited so some threads get forgotten as people only post in popular pages that appear on page 1.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

(02-04-2022, 12:57 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 11:16 PM)Mdz123 Wrote: Threads exist for a few Kruger coalitions, for example, there is a thread for young Jocks, but it got “forgotten” and now all their sightings are posted in Coalitions of Kruger thread

Problem is that most people visit 1st page, page 2 or 3 are not as visited so some threads get forgotten as people only post in popular pages that appear on page 1.

Though not a very old member of this family, I am among those MOST PEOPLE. Today only I get to know about seprate thread of jock males although I know about page 2 and 3.
See, people get to know about those pages only, which get updates regularly. 
99 %discussion is on Lions of SS, KNP, TIMBAVATI, Manyeleti, bboys, avocas, nwaswitshaka and Birmingham pride and matimba sons.
2 users Like DARK MANE's post