There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-01-2022, 02:46 AM by Tonpa )

Mhangenis back in Singita 

3 users Like Tonpa's post

RookiePundit Offline

(01-30-2022, 10:14 PM)Tonpa Wrote: The two females disappeared long before #3, Roy Mkansi said they died around March

Yes, I remember but I think that was debunked.

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I think gijima at the time went through and said he ID'd 5 females but wasn't sure 

Right now we're only seeing 7 talamatis, two of which are males.
2 users Like Tonpa's post

United States SMK350 Offline

Ask and you shall receive. ?

I have confirmation that as of their latest sighting all lions in this video are accounted for.

[video=youtube]https://https://youtu.be/IVUo9S100tA[/video]

There are two adults, five females, and two males. 

Does anyone have a breakdown of the Kambula males and whereabouts?
1 user Likes SMK350's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-31-2022, 06:09 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I think gijima at the time went through and said he ID'd 5 females but wasn't sure 

I know I keep saying this and don’t have much footage to support, but I feel like there is an additional smaller satellite group with the 3rd ym and other females.   They’re likely closer to Manyeleti.   It’s who Silvereye has been with in past.   It’s my hunch.   But with so few sightings it’s just that.   A hunch.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(01-31-2022, 09:57 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(01-31-2022, 06:09 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I think gijima at the time went through and said he ID'd 5 females but wasn't sure 

I know I keep saying this and don’t have much footage to support, but I feel like there is an additional smaller satellite group with the 3rd ym and other females.   They’re likely closer to Manyeleti.   It’s who Silvereye has been with in past.   It’s my hunch.   But with so few sightings it’s just that.   A hunch.

At this point I hope so, it's quite sad that this time last year we were seeing 14 Talamatis all together
2 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

My testing. A video showing some members of NK pride walking by

4 users Like lionuk's post

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(01-31-2022, 11:53 PM)lionuk Wrote: My testing. A video showing some members of NK pride walking by

It’s working
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

PC males and what I'm assuming is one of the Nkuhuma girls. Pretty prominent teats on her 
Video by gazranger

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Young Kambula Lioness by Chris Taylor

4 users Like Tonpa's post

DARK MANE Offline
Banned

Anyone knows where these boys are? 
They are sons of selati males from talamati pride. 
They were ousted from pride when N. Avocad takeover it in mid 2018.
Thse boys makes a coalition with 2 young boys of selati/ southern ( their father natal pride) pride. 
One of the southern boy disappear after some time. 
Last time the 3 males were seen in mid 2020.
They mysteriously vanish in covid19 lockdown. 
Anyone knows where theythey are????

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Talamatis and DM

Footage from a few months ago after the Hyenas attacked Silver Eye 

1 user Likes Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-01-2022, 08:39 PM)DARK MANE Wrote: Anyone knows where theythey are????

No clue since mid 2020, best case scenario is that they went south of Pretoriuskop/H2-2, area in which cars dont enter.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(02-01-2022, 09:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: No clue since mid 2020, best case scenario is that they went south of Pretoriuskop/H2-2, area in which cars dont enter.

That is a massive distance for young nomads to travel from the Northern Sabi Sands/Manyaleti, basically to the Stolsnek area of the park which is the extreme south western section of the Kruger. Not impossible of course but that's a vast and busy stretch to cross without anyone noticing, lion or human alike. If I were to hazard a guess east of the S36 in Kruger is the vastness of the area traversed by only the S126 and S125. If one takes the S126 as the northern edge of that block, the S36 the western edge, say the S33 Vutomi as the southern edge and the H1-3 main tar as the eastern edge you have a massive and very remote block crossed only by the S125 in relative close proximity to their natal area where there is very little traverse given its distance from the main camps and the concessions such as Hamiltons and Imbali on the western edge of the Kruger. I will warrant that there are prides in that section who have little to no human contact at all, perfect for nomads to get lost in and sometimes never get heard of again even if they thrive.

Off topic but I love the S125. Huge sycamore figs and leadwoods that have probably been there for centuries. Combined with the almost complete absence of other vehicles, tourist and official game drives, it's almost possible to imagine the region as it was before man's influence.
3 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-01-2022, 10:37 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: That is a massive distance for young nomads to travel from the Northern Sabi Sands/Manyaleti, basically to the Stolsnek area of the park which is the extreme south western section of the Kruger. Not impossible of course but that's a vast and busy stretch to cross without anyone noticing, lion or human alike

They where last seen at Pretoriuskop, so its not out of possibility that they traveled further south (ofc if they are even alive).
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post