There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-21-2019, 05:09 AM)Potato Wrote: 'When dominant males are ousting young males from the pride, they wont try to kill them...just scare them/chase them away, so even if Blondie joined they wouldnt kill him ofc. "

That is when dominant males are fathers to young male they are about to kick out. The boy is lucky that Avocas are passive.

"He is very strong and big lion for his age (he was bigger then Mhangeni Big Boy as half a year younger)"

To my eye Mhangeni male was taller. Nkuhuma male is just slightly than lionesses from Nkuhuma pride. I wouldn't say it is a lot for 3 and half years old male. 

They adopt NK boy, if they wanted to kill him they would did that immidiately when they came in the first place, they wont kill him now 1 and a half year later for sure,they will just oust him. 

Idk what pics where you watching, but since Big Boy came to Nkuhuma pride and to their last sightings together, Nk boy was always bigger then him.

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

For me lion Behavior changes, we remember Mapogos, Majingilanes and Bboys- this males killed cubs , lionessis and sub adult for their dominance. Mr-T killed brothers cubs, because he wanted own cubies and  now we see Matimba male who tolarete Majingilane sub adult son, Nguvu with birmingham cub, maybe  i am wrong but look like that. NK male is very lucky boy , next time i think he would be killed.(sorry for my english)
1 user Likes Dreadlocks's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-21-2019, 06:14 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: For me lion Behavior changes, we remember Mapogos, Majingilanes and Bboys- this males killed cubs , lionessis and sub adult for their dominance. Mr-T killed brothers cubs, because he wanted own cubies and  now we see Matimba male who tolarete Majingilane sub adult son, Nguvu with birmingham cub, maybe  i am wrong but look like that. NK male is very lucky boy , next time i think he would be killed.(sorry for my english)

In this cases of which you mentioned Matimbas, Nguvu and N. Avocas, they didnt takeover those prides, those prides where abandoned and alone,they didnt fight any males for them and i think thats the reason why they didnt kill those cubs/subadults, if they'd see a male with that pride and fight it for that pride, its 99% sure that they would kill their cubs.. Thats my only logical explaination.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

Nkorho update

21 December.
Afternoon drive.

What better way to start our drive than spending time with a breeding herd of elephants having a mud bath. It was a wonderful experience being so close to them. The Nkuhuma pride and the two Avocas were seen again, but tension was high when one of the Avoca males chased the young Nkuhuma male away.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-22-2019, 03:15 PM)Potato Wrote: Nkorho update

21 December.
Afternoon drive.

What better way to start our drive than spending time with a breeding herd of elephants having a mud bath. It was a wonderful experience being so close to them. The Nkuhuma pride and the two Avocas were seen again, but tension was high when one of the Avoca males chased the young Nkuhuma male away.

Yea, thats Mohawk. It would be weird if they allowed him to stay for a longer time.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Thanks for the updates

United States swtlei4u Offline

(12-21-2019, 02:12 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 05:09 AM)Potato Wrote: 'When dominant males are ousting young males from the pride, they wont try to kill them...just scare them/chase them away, so even if Blondie joined they wouldnt kill him ofc. "

That is when dominant males are fathers to young male they are about to kick out. The boy is lucky that Avocas are passive.

"He is very strong and big lion for his age (he was bigger then Mhangeni Big Boy as half a year younger)"

To my eye Mhangeni male was taller. Nkuhuma male is just slightly than lionesses from Nkuhuma pride. I wouldn't say it is a lot for 3 and half years old male. 

They adopt NK boy, if they wanted to kill him they would did that immidiately when they came in the first place, they wont kill him now 1 and a half year later for sure,they will just oust him. 

Idk what pics where you watching, but since Big Boy came to Nkuhuma pride and to their last sightings together, Nk boy was always bigger then him.
nk boy has the matimba and birmingham blood, the male lion decendends are larger then normal. there was a comparison when the b boys confronted the nk pride and junior matimba was next to one of the b boys and he was just as large or maybe bigger as a subadult.
1 user Likes swtlei4u's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

Yup, Junior Nkuhuma was large for his age, but current Nkuhuma boy is not.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-23-2019, 01:38 PM)Potato Wrote: Yup, Junior Nkuhuma was large for his age, but current Nkuhuma boy is not.

Junior Nkuhuma was older then Nk boy when the Bboys came, he was almost 4 yrs old, the size diffrence between him and Bboys where not that big because some Bboys where only 1 year older then him. 

How do you know that NK boy is not that big? Based on what sighting? Last sighting of him with lionesses and Big Boy was 3 months ago, and he was bigger then Big Boy and waay bigger then Amber Eyes, the biggest NK lioness, and now Safari crew said that he is even more bigger. 

We havent see him with Avocas for half a year to compare the size, but now im quite sure he is big as Mohawk in the hips, maybe even bigger, ofc he doesnt have that much weight, but thats normal for his age.

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

Junior Nkuhuma was older then Nk boy when the Bboys came, he was almost 4 yrs old, the size diffrence between him and Bboys where not that big because some Bboys where only 1 year older then him.

As far as I know Junior was born in early 2012 so when he came head to head with Birmingham male he was about 3 years and 3 months old so same age as Nkuhuma male is now.

"How do you know that NK boy is not that big? Based on what sighting? Last sighting of him with lionesses and Big Boy was 3 months ago, and he was bigger then Big Boy and waay bigger then Amber Eyes, the biggest NK lioness, and now Safari crew said that he is even more bigger. "

Judging him through the prism of other lions. He is a bit bigger than lionessess from Nkuhma pride so not bigger than random male lion of his age. Just compare him with for example Othawa male at his age (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqCeLQouSlE). That is how big lion for his age look like. Way bigger than lionessess from his pride.

"We havent see him with Avocas for half a year to compare the size, but now im quite sure he is big as Mohawk in the hips, maybe even bigger, ofc he doesnt have that much weight, but thats normal for his age."

I highly doubt it. When then have meet last time difference between them was huge.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 03:58 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-23-2019, 03:12 PM)Potato Wrote: Junior Nkuhuma was older then Nk boy when the Bboys came, he was almost 4 yrs old, the size diffrence between him and Bboys where not that big because some Bboys where only 1 year older then him.

As far as I know Junior was born in early 2012 so when he came head to head with Birmingham male he was about 3 years and 3 months old so same age as Nkuhuma male is now.

"How do you know that NK boy is not that big? Based on what sighting? Last sighting of him with lionesses and Big Boy was 3 months ago, and he was bigger then Big Boy and waay bigger then Amber Eyes, the biggest NK lioness, and now Safari crew said that he is even more bigger. "

Judging him through the prism of other lions. He is a bit bigger than lionessess from Nkuhma pride so not bigger than random male lion of his age. Just compare him with for example Othawa male at his age (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqCeLQouSlE). That is how big lion for his age look like. Way bigger than lionessess from his pride.

"We havent see him with Avocas for half a year to compare the size, but now im quite sure he is big as Mohawk in the hips, maybe even bigger, ofc he doesnt have that much weight, but thats normal for his age."

I highly doubt it. When then have meet last time difference between them was huge.

As far as i know, the Bboys came in contact with Nkuhuma pride in mid-late 2015.

In this video Junior is more then 3 and a half years old, and those are still young Bboys. 

You see him with other lionesess 3/4 months ago, and then he was much bigger then them, on this sighting few days ago you cant compare because others where lying down, with Avocas he wasnt been seen for more then half a year, so ofc that then size diffrence was huge. You cant judge him now based on pics from few moths to a half a year ago. 

Nguvu is exception, not many lions are that big in those years,and thats not because of his genetics, yet because he was in smaller pride with greater food suply with no dominant males to chase him out early on, Junior Othawa is and will be big as Nguvu at that age.

Im not saying that NK boy is bigger then random lions of his age, im saying that he is big and strong lion, thats it (mane can contribute to lion look bigger, if he had mane im quite sure he would look bigger in many eyes).

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Today in Sabi Sabi. 

2 Southern Pride lionesses:

*This image is copyright of its original author

4 N'waswishaka males on a buffalo kill:

It seems that those boys are expert buffalo hunter, because of that they are growing massive fast.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

"In this video Junior is more then 3 and a half years old, and those are still young Bboys. "

Junior was born in early 2012, video of his confrontation with Birmingham male is from 18 of August 2015 and that makes him 3 years and between 5 to 7 months old so about 3,5 years old, therefore I do not see isue with comparing him Nkuhumba Boy. You surely do not think Nkuhuma boy in this 3 months of difference will reach size of adult male don't you?

"You see him with other lionesess 3/4 months ago, and then he was much bigger then them, on this sighting few days ago you cant compare because others where lying down, with Avocas he wasnt been seen for more then half a year, so ofc that then size diffrence was huge. You cant judge him now based on pics from few moths to a half a year ago. "

I do not see size difference which I would call "much bigger". Nkuchuma Boy even now can be misstaken with lioness (althrough big, bullky lioness).

"Nguvu is exception"

I think it is exaggeration.

" not many lions are that big in those years"

Yes and those are the ones which we call big. By definition big lions are the ones significantly bigger than ordinary male lions and the ordinary size lion is what size is most male lions

"and thats not because of his genetics, yet because he was in smaller pride with greater food suply with no dominant males to chase him out early on, Junior Othawa is and will be big as Nguvu at that age."

I do not think that matters since we are judging purely resault (what size they eventually get into), Also of course food supply is very important, but it is not like it can be full excuse (I did not notice btw Nkuchmas having some problems with provading food). Take for example Mbiris, males coming from big pride, kicked from it at the age not even fully 3 years old and still growing into beasts.

"Im not saying that NK boy is bigger then random lions of his age'

Then we can agree on that. Ealier you wrote that he is big for his age which I interpreted otherway. 

Hairy tummy Offline

Wow, they are growing fast.where did the talimati males end up? Sons on the selati

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-23-2019, 05:54 PM)Potato Wrote: You surely do not think Nkuhuma boy in this 3 months of difference will reach size of adult male don't you?

So for you on this video Junior looks like full grown lion? I dont think Junior on this video is any bigger then NK boy is rn. That Bboy who came to him is only around 5 years old and still not in his prime, definetly smaller then these 6 and a half years Avocas right now. 

(12-23-2019, 05:54 PM)Potato Wrote: I do not see size difference which I would call "much bigger". Nkuchuma Boy even now can be misstaken with lioness (althrough big, bullky lioness).

For me he is, he was bigger then lionesses 1 year ago, let alone now, he can only be mistaken for lioness because of no mane. This is his recent pictures:

With mane he would look very impressive,definetly not smaller then what Junior looks on that video. 

On Nguvus case, its not the same eating and growing up as 1 young male in a pride of 5 adults and be a young male in a pride of 10/15 adults/subadults, Nguvu had waay more meals and shares of for example buffalo then other lions in a bigger pride. 

Mbiris are nomadic coalition of 5 young males, its way easier for them to hunt then 1 alone nomadic male. 

Yea i think we said all now, no need to spam thread anymore.