There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-21-2019, 01:50 AM)Matimbalani Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 06:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Great news, sighting of the young Nkuhuma male after almost 2 months of no info of him :

He is still in the north,close to Londolozi boundary,he seems to be alone,so that might confirm rumors that missing lioness from Nkuhuma pride is unfortunatley dead..

He seems to be back with the Nkuhuma pride even in the presence of one of the Avoca's. According to one of the Safari Live presenters, he also seems to have lost a bit of his mane. I hope he makes it.

Is he the only male sub raised by Nkuhuma's since Junior Matimba?

Yes.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-21-2019, 03:03 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-21-2019, 01:50 AM)Matimbalani Wrote: He seems to be back with the Nkuhuma pride even in the presence of one of the Avoca's. According to one of the Safari Live presenters, he also seems to have lost a bit of his mane. I hope he makes it.

He never had mane, so no, he didnt lost it. Its weird because his fathers are very hairy lions, but yea, some lions have less hair, for example Shaka Mbiri. 

Where did you get that info that he was with Nkuhuma pride? As far as i know, his last sighting with nkuhuma pride was 3 months ago and with no Avocas around.

We'll see what will happen with him, but he is very strong, big and indenpendet lion for his age, he is only 3 and a half yrs old, he will be a beast when fully grown just like his father Mfumo.

Edit: he was indeed with Nkuhuma pride today on SafariLive.

United States Matimbalani Offline

(12-21-2019, 02:14 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 01:50 AM)Matimbalani Wrote: He seems to be back with the Nkuhuma pride even in the presence of one of the Avoca's. According to one of the Safari Live presenters, he also seems to have lost a bit of his mane. I hope he makes it.

He never had mane, so no, he didnt lost it. Its weird because his fathers are very hairy lions, but yea, some lions have less hair, for example Shaka Mbiri. 

Where did you get that info that he was with Nkuhuma pride? As far as i know, his last sighting with nkuhuma pride was 3 months ago and with no Avocas around.

We'll see what will happen with him, but he is very strong, big and indenpendet lion for his age, he is only 3 and a half yrs old, he will be a beast when fully grown just like his father Mfumo.

Edit: he was indeed with Nkuhuma pride today on SafariLive.

Well, I don't think that necessarily implies that he had a fully developed mane but less hair than whatever wisp of a mane he had before. I haven't seen the actual animal and I have no reason to doubt the presenter's judgement. Also, it's fairly normal that he would loose some mane under stress of going alone or nomadic. What I do hope is that he is not sick or have the same issues as Big Boy.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(12-21-2019, 01:54 AM)Potato Wrote:
(12-21-2019, 01:50 AM)Matimbalani Wrote:
(12-20-2019, 06:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Great news, sighting of the young Nkuhuma male after almost 2 months of no info of him :

He is still in the north,close to Londolozi boundary,he seems to be alone,so that might confirm rumors that missing lioness from Nkuhuma pride is unfortunatley dead..

He seems to be back with the Nkuhuma pride even in the presence of one of the Avoca's. According to one of the Safari Live presenters, he also seems to have lost a bit of his mane. I hope he makes it.

Yes.

@Tr1x24  Like

Blondemane Offline

I disagree on that, i dont think young NK is a very strong and independent lion, actually he is still alive cause Blondie dont join in the fight with Mohawk, Blondie for some reason dont want to follow the book rules and he tolerate the NK male, Mohawk its another story.

Strong and independet young lions leave the pride at young age and face the hard life of the bush with his brothers or alone, like Nguvu and junior Matimba for example. The wildearth guide said the Avocas are afraid of him (big LOL), for my opinion they confuse fear with benevolence and Avocas always treated young mangheni and Nk male with benevolence, like the example i give other day, DarkMane kick out all lioness from a kill and only let young mangheni eat with him...

Blondemane Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-21-2019, 03:46 AM by Blondemane )

And in fear matter, the 2 videos i have seen with Mohawk and Nk male, the Nk male play submissive to Mohawk, but i think its impossible for a single lion kill another one in 1vs1 (i could be wrong) so i must say if Blondie and Darkmane were present the things could have turned bad for the young lions, but im glad that nothing bad happened.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-21-2019, 03:44 AM)Blondemane Wrote: And in fear matter, the 2 videos i have seen with Mohawk and Nk male, the Nk male play submissive to Mohawk, but i think its impossible for a single lion kill another one in 1vs1 (i could be wrong) so i must say if Blondie and Darkmane were present the things could have turned bad for the young lions, but im glad that nothing bad happened.

When dominant males are ousting young males from the pride, they wont try to kill them...just scare them/chase them away, so even if Blondie joined they wouldnt kill him ofc. 

Nguvu and Junior are not good examples. Nguvu didnt have pride males to kick him out, he was with pride who provided him food and then left when he felt ready, on his own terms, not kicked. 

Junior was returning to the Nkuhuma pride to the age of 4 and a half years, when Bboys where not around, for example Nkuhuma boy is only 3 and a half yrs old atm. 

He is very strong and big lion for his age (he was bigger then Mhangeni Big Boy as half a year younger). He ofc cant and wont fight adult males of his pride, he will act submissive so they will tolerate him and he can get free food. When you are nomadic male at this stage is all about food, he isnt yet ready to be a dominant male. 

When the time comes, he will leave pride forever, but as i said, Junior was returning to the pride to 4 and a half yrs old, thats 1 year more then Nkuhuma male is now. So he has time.

Blondemane Offline

Im not talking about get kicked, im talking about been alone... If Mohawk pinned the Nk male that was more than a chase.. the same thing happened with othawa/selati young male, the majings tolerate him for some time till one day things gone wrong and he was killed. The Nk male and mangheni are not related to Avocas as we all know so this means benevolence, but one day things could get bad or not, we dont know the next move right? ...

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-21-2019, 04:29 AM)Blondemane Wrote: Im not talking about get kicked, im talking about been alone... If Mohawk pinned the Nk male that was more than a chase.. the same thing happened with othawa/selati young male, the majings tolerate him for some time till one day things gone wrong and he was killed. The Nk male and mangheni are not related to Avocas as we all know so this means benevolence, but one day things could get bad or not, we dont know the next move right? ...

Thats different, Othawa/selati male was very young,around 2 yrs old, they killed him shortly after takeover, because he wasnt their blood and to make lionesses in eastress again for mating,they didnt ousting him out. 

Avocas theoreticly didnt takeover Nkuhumas, they didnt showed any signs off agression towards Nkuhuma male when they arrived, if they wanted, they could kill him shortly after. He lived with them for more then a year before Mohawk started kicking him and Big Boy out of the pride, because they where old enough. 

I dont know of any cases of deaths in ousting young males out of the prides..takeover is different, in takeovers young subadults/males are first targeted and killed.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

'When dominant males are ousting young males from the pride, they wont try to kill them...just scare them/chase them away, so even if Blondie joined they wouldnt kill him ofc. "

That is when dominant males are fathers to young male they are about to kick out. The boy is lucky that Avocas are passive.

"He is very strong and big lion for his age (he was bigger then Mhangeni Big Boy as half a year younger)"

To my eye Mhangeni male was taller. Nkuhuma male is just slightly than lionesses from Nkuhuma pride. I wouldn't say it is a lot for 3 and half years old male. 

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(12-21-2019, 03:38 AM)Blondemane Wrote: I disagree on that, i dont think  actually he is still alive cause Blondie dont join in the fight with Mohawk, Blondie for some reason dont want to follow the book rules and he tolerate the NK male, Mohawk its another story.

Strong and independet young lions leave the pride at young age and face the hard life of the bush with his brothers or alone, like Nguvu and junior Matimba for example. The wildearth guide said the Avocas are afraid of him (big LOL), for my opinion they confuse fear with benevolence and Avocas always treated young mangheni and Nk male with benevolence, like the example i give other day, DarkMane kick out all lioness from a kill and only let young mangheni eat with him...

I disagree that the young NK is not a strong and independent lion. He had an altercation with the avocas and came out unscathed, probably earned the avoca's respect and that he could handle himself in a fight with a dominant male. He left the pride at around the same age junior did. Nguvu got lucky that his fathers went out at the time when he would have been forced out. Nguvu had zero competition and inherited his fathers territory and pride, by the time the matimbas took over the west he already had everything. Also, there's no such thing as benevolence in the lion world. The avocas wouldn't mind killing a young lone male, the NK male continues to hang in avoca territory and was even seen hanging around MalaMala, apparently with one of the birminghams as well. So, no matter what you say he is a a strong and independent lion.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Michael Offline

(12-21-2019, 05:09 AM)Potato Wrote: 'When dominant males are ousting young males from the pride, they wont try to kill them...just scare them/chase them away, so even if Blondie joined they wouldnt kill him ofc. "

That is when dominant males are fathers to young male they are about to kick out. The boy is lucky that Avocas are passive.

"He is very strong and big lion for his age (he was bigger then Mhangeni Big Boy as half a year younger)"

To my eye Mhangeni male was taller. Nkuhuma male is just slightly than lionesses from Nkuhuma pride. I wouldn't say it is a lot for 3 and half years old male. 

I think the nkuhuma male was sligthly taller than the mhangeni male, but the mhangeni male looked more impressive because he had a fuller mane, the nkuhuma male just looks like a weirdly big lioness.

For some reason his mane hasn't fully developed yet

Blondemane Offline

"he was seen the next day with a bit of a limp and looking quite sore" .. this words from EP rangers,  and he dont fight with Avocas, he fight with one of them... or you think he can handle 2 adult lions...oh he still hang in avocas territory? wow that mean what, means nothing..  Avoca territory is big, alot of space for him to hang around and avoid the Males and even when Mohawk found him he play submissive.  Whats wrong with Mala Mala is not even part of avoca territory.. Benevolence, Permissive, tolerant, whateva... 

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Blondie didnt mind him a bit, laying down just 10 m apart, Mohawk was close to them too. 

Yea NK boy lack of mane, but he is a monster for his age, look at his size and muscularity when he stands up, he will be a beast when fully grown.

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-21-2019, 07:24 AM)Blondemane Wrote: or you think he can handle 2 adult lions

What you meant with that? No 1 adult lion can handle 2 adult lions, let alone 3 yrs subadult...
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post