There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-23-2019, 06:28 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Wow, they are growing fast.where did the talimati males end up? Sons on the selati

Im interested in that too, theres no info of them whatsoever for around 3 months now.. Lets hope they show up somewhere. They prob moved up further in Kruger with these 4 N'ws males hanging in their area.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

I think this should put the NK male size debate to bed. I have overlaid a picture (NK and his mother and the mhangeni male, taken around april 2019) on top of a picture of ridge-nose and blondie avoca taken in august. NK is about as bigger than his mother as blondie is bigger than ridge-nose. Considering that NK's mother and ride-nose are practically the same size, NK seems as big as blondie at the least. The margin of error goes in the favor of the NK male as well considering there's a 4 month difference between the pictures and that he is also 2-3 years younger than blondie. So NK pretty much has 2.5 years to grow to the same age as blondie, I expect NK male to be massive by then considering blondie is a decent sized lion.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 users Like sik94's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(12-23-2019, 07:59 PM)sik94 Wrote: I think this should put the NK male size debate to bed. I have overlaid a picture (NK and his mother and the mhangeni male, taken around april 2019) on top of a picture of ridge-nose and blondie avoca taken in august. NK is about as bigger than his mother as blondie is bigger than ridge-nose. Considering that NK's mother and ride-nose are practically the same size, NK seems as big as blondie at the least. The margin of error goes in the favor of the NK male as well considering there's a 4 month difference between the pictures and that he is also 2-3 years younger than blondie. So NK pretty much has 2.5 years to grow to the same age as blondie, I expect NK male to be massive by then considering blondie is a decent sized lion.

Attached Files Image(s)

1 user Likes sik94's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"So for you on this video Junior looks like full grown lion? I dont think Junior on this video is any bigger then NK boy is rn"

Yes, I belive so. Also here:

you can see 3 years old Junior being just a little bit behind in term of size than fully grown and know for large body size Ginger Matimba.

"Mbiris are nomadic coalition of 5 young males, its way easier for them to hunt then 1 alone nomadic male. "

I was speaking about 2 dominant males of central Timbavati. 
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-23-2019, 09:10 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-23-2019, 08:12 PM)Potato Wrote: you can see 3 years old Junior being just a little bit behind in term of size than fully grown and know for large body size Ginger Matimba.

We dont have footage like this of Nkuhuma boy alongside adult males, so we dont know.

@sik94 agree with you, i think that picture was in march, regardless that was around 8 months ago,he is now much bigger, prob close to height of the Avocas.

Here some pics of the last time Nk boy and Big Boy where with Nk lioness, 3 months ago:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2019, 10:47 AM by Cunaguaro )

The entire Kambula/Ntsevu pride of lions along with the Gowrie/Birmingham males at Londolozi Game Reserve.

- Posted: 24 Dec, 2019.
- Image By: Meghan Wainwright.

3 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Blondemane Offline

Update on Styx Pride by Nkorho Lodge, 29-12-19

"5 females and 1 sub adult male from the Styx pride were found in the far South Western section of the reserve ."

maybe this young sub adult male is the mystery lion that was been seen in Torchwood.  
1 user Likes Blondemane's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-30-2019, 06:25 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-30-2019, 06:05 PM)Blondemane Wrote: maybe this young sub adult male is the mystery lion that was been seen in Torchwood.  

No, this is Styx's young male.

Thanda Imp male Scorro is reported to be in the northern boundary of Avocas territory, that male seen on Torchwood was most likely him.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Scorro looking for a new territory? Will he run into the avocas?

Blondemane Offline

Yes Tr1x24 i think you're right, must prob to be Scorro. 

He had a bad experience with Avocas in the past, they beated him, i think he dont want to find them again... anyway is a legend and a true survivor, i hope he could spend his last years in peace like HB Matimba.
3 users Like Blondemane's post

Blondemane Offline

"What a way to start the end of 2019! The Matimba male lets the approaching young Nkuhuma male lion know that he should back off and keep his distance."
5 users Like Blondemane's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Perhaps he may be accepted into Othawa pride as once Solo was accepted into Sparta pride. Those are two similar situations.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Woow, i cant belive this happen.. Any more info on this, what happened next??

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-31-2019, 08:02 PM by Tr1x24 )

I rewatched it few times, it seems that Nkuhuma male tried to aproach HB, theres no reason for NK male to approach a dominant big male (unless HB had a kill) unless NK male wanted to teamup with him, as we seen he even submits to HB eventually. Thats how coalitions are formed, 1 lion needs to submit to other. 

Scrap wasnt serious fight at all, just few blows here and there, it didnt look more serious then coalition partners fighting, 
HB didnt look that agressive towards the NK male, you could think that dominant male whould be much more upset of a young male on his territory. Did he see a valuable partner in him? 

It would be cool to see HB to accept him as his partner, but would Othawa females be happy with that? We'll see.

United States Matimbalani Offline

(12-31-2019, 08:01 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I rewatched it few times, it seems that Nkuhuma male tried to aproach HB, theres no reason for NK male to approach a dominant big male (unless HB had a kill) unless NK male wanted to teamup with him, as we seen he even submits to HB eventually. Thats how coalitions are formed, 1 lion needs to submit to other. 

Scrap wasnt serious fight at all, just few blows here and there, it didnt look more serious then coalition partners fighting, 
HB didnt look that agressive towards the NK male, you could think that dominant male whould be much more upset of a young male on his territory. Did he see a valuable partner in him? 

It would be cool to see HB to accept him as his partner, but would Othawa females be happy with that? We'll see.

@Tr1x24 I had the same reading as you. It'll be great if he forms a coalition with HB and eventually Junior Othawa and may be even the mini-Gingers. The template seems to be there with Mapoza and the Xikukitsu young males.