There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca male lions

Ttimemarti Offline

How many of the 5 Avocas had the same mother to my knowledge only 2 the southern avocas. If wrong please correct me
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-28-2022, 01:58 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: How many of the 5 Avocas had the same mother to my knowledge only 2 the southern avocas. If wrong please correct me

It is almost impossible to know. Bassicly all those thinks that you will read about Avocas that "x is littermate of y" are just speculations not a pure fact. What it comes to southern Avocas, one male was always clearly more developed than the other and that is probably beacause he was a bit older. What it comes to Northern Avocas, Mohawk seems to be slightly older than the other two. Blondie and DM seemd to be of very similar age and therefore potentially littermates.
7 users Like Potato's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(12-28-2022, 01:58 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: How many of the 5 Avocas had the same mother to my knowledge only 2 the southern avocas. If wrong please correct me

I posted a pic on a post here that showed both DM and Blondie as cubs.    I’m pretty convinced they were littermates.   Crazy how they both came into the world together, and almost literally left it at the same time.
8 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(12-28-2022, 01:53 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote: Thank you for posting these photos. I've had a bit of free time for sketching recently, so I used that first photo as a reference to do this drawing of Dark Mane as a tribute (credit to the original photographer).

That is AMAZING work. Thank you for sharing it with us!
7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-28-2022, 01:47 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: posted a pic on a post here that showed both DM and Blondie as cubs.    I’m pretty convinced they were littermates
Through it is not unussual that multiple lionesses give birth in the same month so it is not yet prove that Blondie and DM were litter mates
3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-28-2022, 01:47 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: I posted a pic on a post here that showed both DM and Blondie as cubs.    I’m pretty convinced they were littermates.   Crazy how they both came into the world together, and almost literally left it at the same time.
(12-28-2022, 04:49 PM)Potato Wrote: Through it is not unussual that multiple lionesses give birth in the same month so it is not yet prove that Blondie and DM were litter mates

Blondie and DM where not sired by same males, as each of them are copy of 2 Avoca/Giraffes, so its very unlikely they are littermates. 

Most similar out of all 5 Avocas are Mohawk and smaller maned S. Avoca, although S. Avoca is prob older, so unlikely they are littermates either.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-28-2022, 05:06 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Blondie and DM where not sired by same males, as each of them are copy of 2 Avoca/Giraffes
I would be far from saying such think. In case of either Blondie and DM can see resemblance to either of old Avocas. I would be far from saying they must have different fathers.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

(12-28-2022, 07:00 PM)Potato Wrote: I would be far from saying such think. In case of either Blondie and DM can see resemblance to either of old Avocas. I would be far from saying they must have different fathers.

Blondie and DM has no similar face features, littermates are usually very similar in face and mane (although mane can vary). 

Its far more likely that DM and Mohawk where littermates, then any of them with Blondie.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-28-2022, 10:35 PM by Cath2020 )

I think only the Southern Avocas are littermates, which is almost certainly the case, being that they are at least 6 months older than the others.... The S. Avocas were born around 3/13, while the others were born 6-8 months later. They were seen in a pic together as small cubs with another male the same size, along with a lioness.  She had a litter of 3 males, but lost one of them.  I was trying to find that picture that I saw a couple of times.  The others are probably not....but there is an outside chance that Mohawk and Blondie might be, since they were closer to each other than to DM.  DM didn't have a littermate brother, but he did have a sister with whom he was close until he went nomadic.

The Southern Avocas are extremely close, always patrolling and mating together.  I've never seen a coalition more in sync with each other.  They are now at a prime age of 9.5 years.
9 users Like Cath2020's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(12-28-2022, 10:33 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:

I think only the Southern Avocas are littermates, which is almost certainly the case, being that they are at least 6 months older than the others.... The S. Avocas were born around 3/13, while the others were born 6-8 months later. They were seen in a pic together as small cubs with another male the same size, along with a lioness.  She had a litter of 3 males, but lost one of them.  I was trying to find that picture that I saw a couple of times.  The others are probably not....but there is an outside chance that Mohawk and Blondie might be, since they were closer to each other than to DM.  DM didn't have a littermate brother, but he did have a sister with whom he was close until he went nomadic.

The Southern Avocas are extremely close, always patrolling and mating together.  I've never seen a coalition more in sync with each other.  They are now at a prime age of 9.5 years.

Agreed, the S Avocas are very tight, it was a really long time before I even saw a picture of them not being at one another's side. However, I'd add the Ross Males appear nearly as close, and the PC Males are similar in their tight bond. It is really a rare sight to not see these three groups beside each other, and at least to this point the Ross Males have been just as successful, if not even more so, than the S Avocas. Both groups are truly amazing to see interact, and the PCMs have an opportunity to reach the same heights, only right now they seem to struggle with remaining with one pride for long, their eyes are bigger than their stomachs so to speak.
8 users Like BA0701's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

(12-28-2022, 02:21 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(12-28-2022, 01:53 PM)LandSeaLion Wrote: Thank you for posting these photos. I've had a bit of free time for sketching recently, so I used that first photo as a reference to do this drawing of Dark Mane as a tribute (credit to the original photographer).

That is AMAZING work.   Thank you for sharing it with us!

Thank you very much for the kind words. :)
7 users Like LandSeaLion's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Northern Avoca Male
  • The surviving member of this coalition was first seen on the 7th when he was at the confluence of the Mlowathi River and Tlebe Rocks Donga. On the 24th, he roared in the open area north of Mlowathi Dam. Finally, on the 28th -30th, he linked up with the full complement of the Nkuhuma Pride. The large group of lions had a buffalo kill north of Campbell Koppies. They then moved north along the Mlowathi River before settling around Mlowathi Pans for the next two days.
Southern Avoca Males
  • Both males fed on the remains of a buffalo carcass northeast of Ivory Pan on the 1st. One male was in the Tjellahanga River, south of Tjellahanga Pans, on the 5th. 
7 users Like Tonpa's post

United States SMK350 Offline

Image credit: Peter Maas. 

Mohawk was roaring away in Arathusa. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

14 users Like SMK350's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

12 users Like Potato's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(01-02-2023, 09:18 PM)Potato Wrote:

The beatiful S. Avoca, this is the one with the bigger mane and with wonky left eye. It seems to have gotten better then the previous sighting.
4 users Like Mdz123's post