There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2024, 12:49 AM by criollo2mil )

(09-19-2024, 07:34 PM)Potato Wrote:
(09-19-2024, 07:02 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: they were even seen doing the mounting male to male ritual
that was with Kruger male, not Mohawk no?

sorry, i totally misunderstood the Q.   Yes, that was KM and S Avoca.  

so to answer the question correctly, they were not very far from each other on that day....but since, the KM/S Avoca duo have moved to northern MalaMala.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(09-19-2024, 11:24 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(09-19-2024, 07:34 PM)Potato Wrote:
(09-19-2024, 07:02 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: they were even seen doing the mounting male to male ritual
that was with Kruger male, not Mohawk no?

sorry, i totally misunderstood the Q.   Yes, that was KM and S Avoca.  

so to answer the question correctly, they were not very far from each other on that day....but since, the KM/S Avoca duo have moved to northern MalaMala and Mohawk.

Meanwhile Khanya and NK were last spotted going in MalaMala too, seems these boys might be having one big party we’re all unfamiliar with.
3 users Like KM600's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

1/2 Nkuhuma males at Kruger

*This image is copyright of its original author

by kate
7 users Like Ngonya's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

I replied on this thread asking if this is Mohawk, and then just mildly said how it's interesting that we've been calling him Mohawk for years, and got a totally snotty answer back that this is the Northern Avoca Male and Mohawk is not an official name, so ...

ok... thanks dude!!  hahaha

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(9 hours ago)T_Ferguson Wrote: I replied on this thread asking if this is Mohawk, and then just mildly said how it's interesting that we've been calling him Mohawk for years, and got a totally snotty answer back that this is the Northern Avoca Male and Mohawk is not an official name, so ...

Try and ignore the haters or send a personal message asking them to stop being rude. This forum has done a pretty good job of encouraging good debate and sharing of info so I definitely will try to keep it that way.

There’s someone who gets mad that Nym is now named Nym even tho he’s not Nkuhuma young male anymore. 
Side note on Nym’s name…Nym is Greek for “name” and his no name nick name is his real name now! I love the irony and how well that works…his name means name lol.
 I very much like the names Nym and Khanya. Khanya means “light” in one of the local languages and his missing brother, Dwizhala, means “dark” as in the same language.

The suffix "-nym" is a Greek word that means "name" and is used in many English words. Here are some examples of words that end in "-nym" and their meanings: 

3 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

( This post was last modified: 7 hours ago by KM600 )

(9 hours ago)T_Ferguson Wrote: I replied on this thread asking if this is Mohawk, and then just mildly said how it's interesting that we've been calling him Mohawk for years, and got a totally snotty answer back that this is the Northern Avoca Male and Mohawk is not an official name, so ...

Just seen that, Mohawk is 100% his official name. The only time u won’t ever see him referred to by his name is when he’s mentioned in reports and then he’s the ‘Northern Avoca Male’ and it’s like that with every male in reports. I think that guy needs to change his bio.. 

Side note, I hope we find out how recent that video is as LionLovers claims he went back to Rhino Post in KNP, prolly looking for his sons.
3 users Like KM600's post

(8 hours ago)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:

Try and ignore the haters or send a personal message asking them to stop being rude. This forum has done a pretty good job of encouraging good debate and sharing of info so I definitely will try to keep it that way.

There’s someone who gets mad that Nym is now named Nym even tho he’s not Nkuhuma young male anymore. 
Side note on Nym’s name…Nym is Greek for “name” and his no name nick name is his real name now! I love the irony and how well that works…his name means name lol.
 I very much like the names Nym and Khanya. Khanya means “light” in one of the local languages and his missing brother, Dwizhala, means “dark” as in the same language.

The suffix "-nym" is a Greek word that means "name" and is used in many English words. Here are some examples of words that end in "-nym" and their meanings: 

The strange thing about NK is that his pride name has atp become his actual name too. For example, with the Avoca male offspring that was born into Nkuhuma Pride, we refer to them as Nkuhuma boys or the Nkuhuma males, whereas we refer to him as just ‘Nkuhuma Male’ (or any other abbreviation) and everyone straight away knows exactly the male we’re speaking about. 

I actually didn’t know that about the meaning of nym and I’m not sure many other ppl used that term for that meaning either, nevertheless I think it’s a cool concept. I agree with the Talamati boys names too, they’re the best names I’ve come across since following lions.
2 users Like KM600's post

Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Some reserves use names, others don't.

For the northern lodges, he is the Northern Avoca Male Mohawk, for MalaMala and the rest of the Sabi Sands he'll just be the Northern Avoca Male.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 5 hours ago by Ngonya )

(8 hours ago)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: There’s someone who gets mad that Nym is now named Nym even tho he’s not Nkuhuma young male anymore. 

Im guessing i could be one of the said "mad" about the name since i usually point out how pointless that nickname is. Idk but personally never got mad about such thing. 

anyways im almost sure "nym" stands for "Nkuhuma young male" for most people.
That whole meaning you came up with i personally never heard about it before even thought its better than young male (i could be wrong and that could be exactly the meaning of the nickname and thats what people mean when they call him like that, but as i say i personally havent heard of it before).

As usually its great to point out how pointless it is for him to be called "Nkuhuma young male" (if thats the case).
He is closer to being a old male than a young, just because he is nomadic and people associate it with young lifestyle, which is not his case anymore even thought still a nomad
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(5 hours ago)Ngonya Wrote:
(8 hours ago)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: There’s someone who gets mad that Nym is now named Nym even tho he’s not Nkuhuma young male anymore. 

Im guessing i could be one of the said "mad" about the name since i usually point out how pointless that nickname is. Idk but personally never got mad about such thing. 

That whole meaning you came up with i personally never heard about it before even thought its better than young male (i could be wrong and that could be exactly the meaning of the nickname and thats what people mean when they call him like that, but as i say i personally havent heard of it before).

As usually its great to point out how pointless it is for him to be called "Nkuhuma young male" (if thats the case).
He is closer to being a old male than a young, just because he is nomadic and people associate it with young lifestyle, which is not his case anymore even thought still a nomad

I think that most people still refer to him as NYM, as others will know immediately who we are talking about. He does not have an official name, and if you just say Nkuhuma, others are going to immediately ask which one, given there are several Nkuhuma males around. Nym allows people to know, right off, who we are talking about. He has never had any different name, it has been used for years, and has simply stuck.

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(3 hours ago)BA0701 Wrote:
(5 hours ago)Ngonya Wrote:

I think that most people still refer to him as NYM, as others will know immediately who we are talking about. He does not have an official name, and if you just say Nkuhuma, others are going to immediately ask which one, given there are several Nkuhuma males around. Nym allows people to know, right off, who we are talking about. He has never had any different name, it has been used for years, and has simply stuck.

Is it wrong to call him Mfumo Jr? I've seen this name being used many times, and I tend to use it when I want to be specific about wich Nkuhuma Im talking

Ttimemarti Offline

Mfumo jr I used to refer to him as that privately but he kinda looks like nsuku a bit but 
Nkuhuma males 2 older son of avoca males
Nkuhuma male 2016 son of Birminghams 
Nkuhuma young male 2021 youngest son of avocas I think we’ll probably have to add something to the end of all 3 from now on like 2016 Nkuhuma male from now on to avoid confusion from others
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 2 hours ago by Ngonya )

(3 hours ago)BA0701 Wrote: He has never had any different name, it has been used for years, and has simply stuck.
As you say it has been used for years and tbf even a couple of years ago it could make sense for his age
If that helps people to differentiate who is being talked about, great i guess. But that doesn't make the name anymore meaningful, you could just say "[...] Nk BBoy son [...]" or whatever, there is no other Nkuhuma male sired by BBoys so yeah thats way more characteristic than "nym", even something about his eye would sound better (my opinion ofc!).
Not big of a deal to mention/contextualize which lion is being talked about, so far its factual the use of this name is more about people's attachment to it than actual relevance to ID.
And i said plenty of times and yeah the name is pointless for me and i stand still for that. If you guys like to use it thats fine obviously, i point it out sometimes for bare personal confusion since any of the Nkuhumas could be called nym nowdays except for him, who isn't much near being young anymore.

Brazil Ngonya Offline

1/2 Nkuhuma males at KNP, this is the blonder maned male. They are both looking quite impressive, anyone knows what area Themba roams so we can have an idea where the boys are?

by Edward Themba

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(2 hours ago)Ngonya Wrote: 1/2 Nkuhuma males at KNP, this is the blonder maned male. They are both looking quite impressive, anyone knows what area Themba roams so we can have an idea where the boys are?

by Edward Themba

by ?????? ?????????