There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

Go131810 Offline

(07-25-2024, 08:18 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Nomadhood is way too harsh for male lions even if they manage to leave at an ideal age like these NK did ( as 4yo adults ). More likely than not they'll lose members during this phase.

Even if we look at Kambulas who were 6, they were incredibly lucky to get to this point with all 6 alive, because they got caught multiple times, even the Kruger brothers did ( I remember them being split and one with a badly scarred back ).

Only way for young males to avoid that is if they are lucky enough to leave at 5yo where they can potentially become territorial quickly, without the need to roam avoiding dominant males for years.

The only other way is if they develop much quicker than average and can already challenge as 4yo, but this is also very rare, regardless of numbers.

If the third NK is gone, I hope at least the remaining 2 can be successful, they are impressive and not even in their prime so their situation isn't that bad, just a shame they went from a 5 strong coalition to being just a duo in the span of a few months.
I always thought when Mohakw had left and went back to the Nukhuma was strange. I know the young  Nukhuma male lions were with a lioness, but could that have been a reason for Mohawk leave the young Nukhuma male lions? Where there are lionesses there might be male lions. A recent video of Mohawk with the Black Damn male lion said they were roaring. The Southern Avoca male lion is looking strong and healthy. I wonder if the Southern Avoca male lion would find Mohawk.

Mwk85 Online

(07-25-2024, 05:53 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(07-25-2024, 02:50 PM)Mwk85 Wrote:
*This image is copyright of its original author

Just curious is he hunted and caught or stole the impala?

Given that there's no shortage of leopards in the western sector, I'd go with he more than likely stole it from one of them.
1 user Likes Mwk85's post

Ngonya Offline

Kruger Nkuhuma boy
9 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline

Footage from last month of 1/3 Kruger Nkuhuma young males and 1/3 Imbali males walking with a distance, and confronting each other. No fight

credit Northern Bushman 
9 users Like Ngonya's post

KM600 Offline

(07-29-2024, 03:57 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Footage from last month of 1/3 Kruger Nkuhuma young males and 1/3 Imbali males walking with a distance, and confronting each other. No fight

credit Northern Bushman 

Love seeing footage like this. Both the Imbali male and Chelas boy seemed very confident, scent marking everywhere while always keeping an eye on one another. Both males were fortunate the other was by himself however.
4 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-29-2024, 03:57 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Footage from last month of 1/3 Kruger Nkuhuma young males and 1/3 Imbali males walking with a distance, and confronting each other. No fight

credit Northern Bushman 

Reminds me of the scene when BYM ran into TYM for the first time. BYM was with his younger brothers, and from outward appearances, it seemed BYM was protecting them. Oddly enough, a couple of weeks later, after BYM had joined with TYM, BYM's brothers ran into him again, and that time they dished out a slight cuffing to the younger bros, BYM had made his choice.

Obviously, the circumstances here are very different, but the scene is very similar.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(07-29-2024, 05:18 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

credit Northern Bushman 

Reminds me of the scene when BYM ran into TYM for the first time. BYM was with his younger brothers, and from outward appearances, it seemed BYM was protecting them. Oddly enough, a couple of weeks later, after BYM had joined with TYM, BYM's brothers ran into him again, and that time they dished out a slight cuffing to the younger bros, BYM had made his choice.

Obviously, the circumstances here are very different, but the scene is very similar.

You have a very good memory. I remember that occasion vividly. I agree it’s of a similar vibe
2 users Like criollo2mil's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

credit Northern Bushman 

So they were bros pretty much from the start? This makes the recent news of them still being together even better.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(07-29-2024, 03:06 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:

credit Northern Bushman 

So they were bros pretty much from the start? This makes the recent news of them still being together even better.

Is this the 3rd Nkuhuma young male that was separated from the 2 brothers in Kruger?
1 user Likes sik94's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

credit Northern Bushman 

BYM had recently started going on long walkabouts, and on the day of the initial meeting with TYM, BYM was walking with his younger bros, including the White Male, when they bumped into TYM. The videos were posted here, I would imagine in the Timbavati thread. But that scene played out nearly identical to this one, with BYM standing between TYM and his bros, and the two of them walking alongside one another with some bushes between them. No real signs of aggression, just eyeing one another up.

A couple of weeks later, they had joined up, and videos began popping up showing them together, doing things like hunting buffalo, etc... After that, BYM showed up at a kill being eaten by Tyson Ross, and a couple of other Birminghams, they permitted BYM to share the kill with them, things appeared cordial, and I believe that was the last sighting of BYM with the Birmingham Pride. He and TYM then disappeared, for quite some time, and we would occasionally get the odd photo of one or both of them, but not a lot with their pride, until just recently, when we got a few.
5 users Like BA0701's post

KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-29-2024, 07:03 PM by KM600 )

(07-29-2024, 03:15 PM)sik94 Wrote:

credit Northern Bushman 

Is this the 3rd Nkuhuma young male that was separated from the 2 brothers in Kruger?

No. Chelas boy and Ridge Nose son are the ones always spotted. You’re referring to the surviving twin of Purple Eyes. As mentioned above, that video shows Chelas boy.
2 users Like KM600's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-29-2024, 11:30 PM by criollo2mil )

(07-29-2024, 03:15 PM)sik94 Wrote: Is this the 3rd Nkuhuma young male that was separated from the 2 brothers in Kruger?

This is Chela’s Son, 1/2 that we see together with the Ridge Nose Son.    The one missing is Purple Eye’s son.
1 user Likes criollo2mil's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-29-2024, 11:55 PM by Tr1x24 )

My guess is that PE's son was not ready yet to become territorial male like his 2 bros, he was always somewhat underdeveloped, prob not only physically, yet mentally aswell.

So wen he saw his 2 bros behave territorial, agressive, prob even attacking him when they got females, i think he just left them.

Its yet to be see if he will pop out somewhere, will he stick near them, or possibly return back north like Mohawk (if something doesnt happen to him alone).
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2024, 07:29 AM by afortich )

(07-29-2024, 06:14 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

credit Northern Bushman 

BYM had recently started going on long walkabouts, and on the day of the initial meeting with TYM, BYM was walking with his younger bros, including the White Male, when they bumped into TYM. The videos were posted here, I would imagine in the Timbavati thread. But that scene played out nearly identical to this one, with BYM standing between TYM and his bros, and the two of them walking alongside one another with some bushes between them. No real signs of aggression, just eyeing one another up.

A couple of weeks later, they had joined up, and videos began popping up showing them together, doing things like hunting buffalo, etc... After that, BYM showed up at a kill being eaten by Tyson Ross, and a couple of other Birminghams, they permitted BYM to share the kill with them, things appeared cordial, and I believe that was the last sighting of BYM with the Birmingham Pride. He and TYM then disappeared, for quite some time, and we would occasionally get the odd photo of one or both of them, but not a lot with their pride, until just recently, when we got a few.

Hey bro @BA0701 , I remember what said.
2 users Like afortich's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-30-2024, 11:14 PM by Ngonya )

June 27, by Mel
"3 lions
H1-2, 500m N from Mantimahle about 50m in the bush - Near Skukuza"
Kruger Nkuhuma boy with the darkest mane

This morning, by Brett and Kels
"1 Lion stationary
H1-2, at the Mantimahlen Dam - Near Skukuza"

The two other lions in the first sighting are a Mantimahle female and the other commonly seen brother.
It has been quite sometime with only the two brothers together, no third male.
Anything on him more recently?
8 users Like Ngonya's post