There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoca Male Lions and Their Male Lineage

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(08-05-2024, 02:28 AM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Only seen pictures of Khanya recently,  wonder if they got separated??

The video of them in Singita was around 2 days ago. NK is most likely still around.
3 users Like KM600's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(08-05-2024, 02:53 AM)adamstocks16 Wrote: In the photo posted by Umkumbe you can really see strong resemblance to Dark Mane in Khanya.

As for his brother who went missing, is it possible Mohawk actually sired him? I always thought he looked more like Mohawk with those amber eyes.

Dzwihala, to me, looked more like Dark Mane than Khanya does.
3 users Like KM600's post

Ngonya Offline

The dark maned Kruger Nkuhuma boy chasing some vultures and a hyena from a carcass

These two boys are making quite the name for themselves out there!
8 users Like Ngonya's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(08-06-2024, 10:57 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The dark maned Kruger Nkuhuma boy chasing some vultures and a hyena from a carcass

These two boys are making quite the name for themselves out there!

His mane is getting darker and fuller. He’s such a beautiful boy. Do he and his brother have a coalition name yet? Have they “officially” become pride males of some mantimahle lionesses or pride?
2 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-07-2024, 02:43 AM by Ngonya )

(08-07-2024, 02:20 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: His mane is getting darker and fuller. He’s such a beautiful boy. Do he and his brother have a coalition name yet? Have they “officially” become pride males of some mantimahle lionesses or pride?
indeed an impressive young male.

He and his brother dont have a coalition name except the one from the pride they were born, Nkuhuma. 
Personally i like to call them Kruger Nkuhuma, since theres a couple of other Nkuhumas out there (alive or not).

No, they are not pride males yet. Looking throught their photos with a said to be Mantimahle female, it seems like they mated with nothing or barely more than a single lioness.
Yet they look pretty territorial, chasing 3 young males recently and also the lighter maned male facing (no physical fight) 1/3 prime dominant Imbalis. 

The area they roam (Rhino Post) is territory of the 3 Imbali males, who control Mantimahle and i think other pride(s) i dont recall. 
Nkhulu males and Sand River pride sometimes show up there too so the boys better be careful, not sure if thats the best place to try and become territorial, especially when they are not 3 anymore, at least so far with the third boy missing for quite a long time...
2 users Like Ngonya's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Online

(08-07-2024, 02:41 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(08-07-2024, 02:20 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: His mane is getting darker and fuller. He’s such a beautiful boy. Do he and his brother have a coalition name yet? Have they “officially” become pride males of some mantimahle lionesses or pride?

He and his brother dont have a coalition name except the one from the pride they were born, Nkuhuma. 
Personally i like to call them Kruger Nkuhuma, since theres a couple of other Nkuhumas out there (alive or not).

No, they are not pride males yet. Looking throught their photos with a said to be Mantimahle female, it seems like they mated with nothing or barely more than a single lioness.
Yet they look pretty territorial, chasing 3 young males recently and also the lighter maned male facing (no physical fight) 1/3 prime dominant Imbalis. 

The area they roam (Rhino Post) is territory of the 3 Imbali males, who control Mantimahle and i think other pride(s) i dont recall. 
Nkhulu males and Sand River pride sometimes show up there too so the boys better be careful, not sure if thats the best place to try and become territorial, especially when they are not 3 anymore, at least so far with the third boy missing for quite a long time...

are all 3 accounted for ?

Ngonya Offline

(08-07-2024, 05:40 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: are all 3 accounted for ?
unfortunately no. Only two so far in the last month.
2 users Like Ngonya's post

(08-07-2024, 02:41 AM)Ngonya Wrote:

Excellent summary…I appreciate you!

I do like calling them the Kruger Nkuhuma boys. Since you know the area what other prides or lionesses could be around for them?

Ttimemarti Offline

Hold up wait a minute I don’t think we’ve ever had a Nkuhuma coalition why can’t they stay with the name the Nkuhuma males or Nkuhuma coalition like kambula males nwaswitshaka males and so forth

(08-07-2024, 09:38 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Hold up wait a minute I don’t think we’ve ever had a Nkuhuma coalition why can’t they stay with the name the Nkuhuma males or Nkuhuma coalition like kambula males nwaswitshaka males and so forth

I was just asking if they had a coalition name (no they don’t) and agreeing that Nkuhuma Boys or something similar would be great! No one is re naming them.

Ngonya Offline

The blonde maned Kruger Nkuhuma boy 
5 users Like Ngonya's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-08-2024, 09:00 PM)Ngonya Wrote: The blonde maned Kruger Nkuhuma boy 

Something small bit that boy right on the nose, and really hard.

(08-08-2024, 09:41 PM)IBA0701 Wrote:

I’ve been thinking trying to figure out what could cause such a unique shaped wound. It’s like perfectly round so what critters could’ve done that? Glad it’s not bothering him. 
His eyes look beautiful in that light.
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post

Portugal Rui Ferreira Offline

(08-08-2024, 10:44 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:

I’ve been thinking trying to figure out what could cause such a unique shaped wound. It’s like perfectly round so what critters could’ve done that? Glad it’s not bothering him. 

First thing that came to my mind when I saw that was " those damn honey badgers lol" but it could be anything, from the size of it, could even be a cub or small sub adult leopard they catch or something, interesting tho for sure
1 user Likes Rui Ferreira's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-08-2024, 11:21 PM)Rui Ferreira Wrote:
(08-08-2024, 10:44 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:

First thing that came to my mind when I saw that was " those damn honey badgers lol" but it could be anything, from the size of it, could even be a cub or small sub adult leopard they catch or something, interesting tho for sure

Those were the creatures that came to my mind when I first saw it, a young lion, leopard, or something like a honey badger, seems too big to be a wild cat. But, in all honesty, now that I look at it more closely, it almost seems too uniform in it's shape and depth, it almost looks more like he ran his nose into a pipe, or a pipe ran into his nose, or perhaps something kicked him really hard. But, even if from a kick, I wouldn't expect the shape to be so uniformly round. Certainly odd.