There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Russian Federation Nyers Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 01:43 PM by Nyers )

Boxernose

About 15 years old and perhaps the oldest active lion in Masai Mara. We haven't been able to figure out his antecedents, but do see him occasionally. He's nomadic now, doesn't have a pride any longer and must do his best to stay out of the way of younger lions in their prime. A few months ago he did seem to be on his last legs but amazingly seems to be looking better now. He can't hunt any of the larger herbivores and appears to be making do with warthogs.
However, there might be more to this. Stay tuned for a twist in the tail...

Credits Nirmalya Banerjee

Photo and video was taken yesterday

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like Nyers's post

( This post was last modified: 06-09-2019, 01:43 PM by Nyers )

Incredible news

Tatu & Boxernose
A couple of days ago when we had seen Tatu and Boxernose, we had actually seen them in fairly close proximity to each other. We first spotted Tatu with Naramat quite close to the camp and then saw another lion about 70m away. We thought it might be Red, drove to him and saw it was Boxernose. We then drove back to the mating pair and from that distance saw Boxernose stand up, facing away from the two other lions and calling very loudly. He then walked almost direct towards Tatu & Naramat and sat down about 40m away from them. The interesting thing was that Tatu didn't react at all. Boxernose then stood up again and started walking again. He skirted the two other lions but passed not 25m away from them in plain view, did a relaxed cat stretch on a tree behind them and then settled down near a fallen tree trunk, not 30m from Tatu.
That evening our cars saw him fast asleep in the same place. So clearly Tatu poses no threat to Boxernose and perhaps they had walked together into the conservancy. The only explanation we can think of, is the the two male lions- one in his prime and the other counting his last days- have teamed up to form a coalition. A more disparate pair is hard to imagine but we can't think of another explanation for what we saw. The Mara is no place for a solitary lion- even one as evidently powerful as Tatu. So perhaps that is why he has teamed up with Boxernose. The benefits to Boxernose are clear. He's in much better shape now than he was even a few months ago when he was solitary.
Unfortunately it has been raining since we last saw the lions and they are most likely up on high ground where the cars find it hard to drive. So we haven't seen the lions after the first time. However Boxernose has a distinctive call- a half roar, half howl. We're pretty sure we heard him last night in the distance. Hopefully we will find them again and will try to understand what is happening. Amongst other things, who was Boxernose calling out for? Is there another lion with them. Time will tell.

Credits to Nirmalya Banerjee

Also on video you can see shape of Boxernose, for his age (15-16 years) he look fantastic.

7 users Like Nyers's post

jordi6927 Offline

Beware of the old man on the battlefield ....... Long live Boxernose! Im glad he has Tau and Im sure Tau can certainly learn some things from BN. This is an excellent story.
1 user Likes jordi6927's post

United States swtlei4u Offline

(06-12-2019, 02:19 AM)jordi6927 Wrote: Beware of the old man on the battlefield ....... Long live Boxernose! Im glad he has Tau and Im sure Tau can certainly learn some things from BN. This is an excellent story.
what happen to red? i wish he would join with earless notch

Credits Nirmalya Banerjee

Tatu & Boxernose are still in the conservancy and were seen this morning. Here it does look like they are in a coalition, perhaps of necessity, perhaps unlikely, almost certainly very recent, but a partnership nevertheless . 

Photo: Simon Nkoitoi, Warden.

4 users Like Nyers's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

4 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2019, 03:58 AM by Pckts )

Earless and Osahabu

Kiriama George
Earless 2017

Him Recently

Shyam Bhagra

There's also been some great videos of him next to the Jeeps and just close ups recently as well. 
Unfortunately they are private so I can't post them here nor am I able to find them now but I'm sure a few of you know which ones I'm speaking about.

That being said, Earless is a massive boy from the Videos I watched, he's very dense but he doesn't seem like he's a very large framed Lion, he's probably averaged sized in terms of dimensions but much more robust than most others.
Still I wouldn't be surprised if he was over 260kg

Edit:
Here is the link but the video is private unless you follow them.
https://www.facebook.com/cavaco75/videos...169494864/
3 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

@Pckts :

About #1537: Earless would weigh 260 kilos ? Very very impressive. For a long time ago, I was impressed by its sturdiness, robustness compared to other lions in wild. Thus I would evaluate at it perhaps 210-220 kilos. But I you assess it to 260 kilos... Like
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2019, 05:21 AM by Pckts )

(06-25-2019, 05:09 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

About #1537: Earless would weigh 260 kilos ? Very very impressive. For a long time ago, I was impressed by its sturdiness, robustness compared to other lions in wild. Thus I would evaluate at it perhaps 210-220 kilos. But I you assess it to 260 kilos... Like

I think that assuming he's a standard dimension with a frame that probably supports a 200kg cat normally but with his immense girth, 260kg seems like a fairly obtainable mark for him. He could be the thickest wild Male Lion I've seen so that's why I gave him the additional 60kg's over the standard 200kg you see in most Wild Lions and Tigers.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2019, 05:04 PM by Rage2277 )

earless is like 235-245 kgs easy

United Kingdom Spalea Online
Wildanimal Lover

(06-25-2019, 05:20 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 05:09 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Pckts :

I think that assuming he's a standard dimension with a frame that probably supports a 200kg cat normally but with his immense girth, 260kg seems like a fairly obtainable mark for him. He could be the thickest wild Male Lion I've seen so that's why I gave him the additional 60kg's over the standard 200kg you see in most Wild Lions and Tigers.

Yes, ok. I just come to find back our discussions 2 years ago when we spoke about the lion Earless and the tiger Umarpani. It was inside a topic about lions and tigers comparaisons:

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-compari...r#pid55053

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Pckts I think Earless has been weighed, and the weight I heard (can’t be 100% sure it’s true) was either 250 kg or 260 kg (I don’t remember) anyways he was said to be heavy. 
And as with Caesar he is constantly "fat" or very robust, and Ceasar was 284-288 kg. So 260 kg for Earless seems very accurate estimate.
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-25-2019, 07:14 PM by Pckts )

@Pantherinae 
I think that's a fair weight for Caesar, he definitely seems larger in frame than Earless with less girth but still massive.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-25-2019, 07:06 PM)Pckts Wrote: @Pantherinae 
I think that's a fair weight for Caesar, he definitely seems larger in frame than Earless with less girth but still massive.

Seems like their massive weight to frame is almost an disadvantage. I heard the other Notch boys would smack Caesar when compeating for females. Earless too seems quite frail compared to leaner and fitter males.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-25-2019, 07:39 PM)Pantherinae Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 07:06 PM)Pckts Wrote: @Pantherinae 

Seems like their massive weight to frame is almost an disadvantage. I heard the other Notch boys would smack Caesar when compeating for females. Earless too seems quite frail compared to leaner and fitter males.

Maybe they're more food aggressive than female aggressive.