There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2024, 10:42 PM by BA0701 )

(06-02-2024, 10:20 PM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(06-02-2024, 05:26 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: That still looks like a kick to the face to me.  If other reports are correct, that is a VERY bad broken jaw.  Are there any other records of a lion having such a badly broken jaw and surviving long term?

I could be wrong, but I'm not really seeing any signs of a broken jaw in this shot. An eventual shot of him eating or not being able to do so will certainly determine what condition his jaw is in.

He does not seem to be losing conditioning, and we are all aware of how fast a male lion can lose conditioning when he doesn't eat regularly. That, at least to me, implies that it is not broken. Clearly a horrible injury, possibly either a kick or a badly infected tooth, but I am just not sure that he has a broken, jaw. Hopefully, the vets will get a chance to inspect him more closely, and will provide some better analysis. He remains active, too, I mean he is mating, which is a great sign.

After looking at the photo you just posted, it seems to be a similar injury to what Scar Mbiri suffered, and makes me think he likely took a kick to the mouth.

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(06-02-2024, 10:31 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-02-2024, 10:20 PM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(06-02-2024, 05:26 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: That still looks like a kick to the face to me.  If other reports are correct, that is a VERY bad broken jaw.  Are there any other records of a lion having such a badly broken jaw and surviving long term?

I could be wrong, but I'm not really seeing any signs of a broken jaw in this shot. An eventual shot of him eating or not being able to do so will certainly determine what condition his jaw is in.

He does not seem to be losing conditioning, and we are all aware of how fast a male lion can lose conditioning when he doesn't eat regularly. That, at least to me, implies that it is not broken. Clearly a horrible injury, possibly either a kick or a badly infected tooth, but I am just not sure that he has a broken, jaw. Hopefully, the vets will get a chance to inspect him more closely, and will provide some better analysis. He remains active, too, I mean he is mating, which is a great sign.

After looking at the photo you just posted, it seems to be a similar injury to what Scar Mbiri suffered, and makes me think he likely took a kick to the mouth.

Yeah, it was the one post on twitter that implied the vets were the ones saying broken jaw and missing teeth.  I mean.. I agree on that image there.  But, who knows.  It was a tremendous amount of swelling.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-03-2024, 02:53 AM by KM600 )

Seems like he may already be back to hunting ways. Impossible to ID ofcourse, but this account is known for providing updates on BRBs and anyone who’s watched Lorkulup take down buffalo, knows he uses that exact same technique as the above one. 

3 users Like KM600's post

Lorkulup got some treatment again.  Nerve wracking since the last time they anesthetized him, it didn't go so well.

2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-07-2024, 03:31 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Lorkulup got some treatment again.  Nerve wracking since the last time they anesthetized him, it didn't go so well.

We finally get some verified information, and it was indeed a snake bite. Sounds like he will be fine, which is great news.
2 users Like BA0701's post

(06-07-2024, 09:15 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 03:31 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Lorkulup got some treatment again.  Nerve wracking since the last time they anesthetized him, it didn't go so well.

We finally get some verified information, and it was indeed a snake bite. Sounds like he will be fine, which is great news.

Yeah, Lucky SOB... Most snake bites are not we treat the lion in 14 days... Most are bye bye in 14 minutes....
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Mwk85 Offline

Lorkulup feeding on a buffalo kill in Salas males territory. Apparently he headed off in the wrong direction after his last treatment by the vets and found the kill after the Salas males moved off to confront the Rekero boys. No worries though, he made his way back to the Rongai Pride afterwards.

3 users Like Mwk85's post

Spain Ponce Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-09-2024, 05:36 PM by Ponce )

Lorkulup, Oloshipa and Rongai pride

1 user Likes Ponce's post

KM600 Offline

(06-09-2024, 10:43 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Lorkulup feeding on a buffalo kill in Salas males territory. Apparently he headed off in the wrong direction after his last treatment by the vets and found the kill after the Salas males moved off to confront the Rekero boys. No worries though, he made his way back to the Rongai Pride afterwards.

Out of all the remaining BRBs, Lorkulup would be the one u least expect to do something like this. Happy he’s now safe again tho.
2 users Like KM600's post

BigLion39 Offline

The 4 Lemek Boys have now supposedly taken the Moliban pride in Naboisho from the 2 Koka Boys, Kiminati and Saggy Eye. They have many young subs and cubs, im not sure what will happen now. The offspring might be between 2 and 3 years, not old enough to go out yet. Lemek Boys most likely gave up Isaketa pride in OMC as we see 2/6 of the Acatia young males from MNC mating with an Isaketa pride lioness.  Acatia young males are sons of Mara North Boys and Olerai/Olekiti.

*This image is copyright of its original author

2 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

Sidai,  1/4 Muguro Boys and now 1 of 2 left who with brother Mdogo control Sopa Pride nowadays. They've left many young males and lionesses in their years of controling prides since 2017. Last January brother Mdogo showed up with 2 huge slashes from Massai pangas. He has recovered well. Sidai reminds me of his father Slitnose Bob Marley very much!

3 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

Lorkulop resting with Olonkera. Olonkera lost a lot of mane lately. Poor guy stressed out. 

BigLion39 Offline

Oloimina and Oloshipa together today. Lorkulop close by doing well.

KM600 Offline

(06-11-2024, 01:51 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Lorkulop resting with Olonkera. Olonkera lost a lot of mane lately. Poor guy stressed out. 

Weird how he started losing his mane now with his position in the pride seemingly secured.
3 users Like KM600's post

BigLion39 Offline

(06-11-2024, 02:14 PM)KM600 Wrote: Weird how he started losing his mane now with his position in the pride seemingly secured.

Yeah, unexpected especially since the 3 adult males rarely give him a hard time.  It seems Olonkera also gets good, frequent meals to.
2 users Like BigLion39's post