There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-27-2022, 10:20 PM)Leo Aslan Wrote: Once Upon A Time In The Mara

Very helpful video, to aid us in identifying so many of those Mara lions that some of us might not know very well. Thank you fr this!
3 users Like BA0701's post

Mwarcaar Offline

(11-27-2022, 01:58 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(11-26-2022, 08:31 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote: Olepolos is the less dominant of the 3 salas. It is orkitok(the one with black dot on the muzzle) who is the dominant male followed by osapuk

I respectfully disagree. Olepelos is the leader of the the 3. I've read from Rangers and guides and people that have seen them that he is usually is the front runner and is always in the mix. Even the videos and pics I see Olepelos is always out front and most aggressive of the 3. That said, dominance is dynamic and all 3 work exceptionally well as a team! They are turning out to be 1 of the most successful young boys out there together with the 3 Rongai Boys up in Naboisho.

could you share these videos because on those that I saw orkitok was the dominant.
on this video olepolos is patiently waiting for orkitok to finish eating before gleaning the leftovers despite orkitok's limp and on another video (that I will try to find) where we see the three of them fighting for some reason orkitok clearly dominates olepolos who flees and osapuk who resists a little but who is also dominated 

At 3:20 mn

1 user Likes Mwarcaar's post

BigLion39 Offline

(11-28-2022, 08:05 AM)Mwarcaar Wrote: on this video olepolos is patiently waiting for orkitok to finish eating before gleaning the leftovers despite orkitok's limp 

I'll see what I can find. In your video you posted IMHO its impossible to know what went down before we see Orkitok eating and Olepelos in the background. What I can deduct tho is both have very full bellys so both defines ate well. Maybe Olepelos just got up and walked away. To me it does not look like he is waiting for the rest of the meat. Domonance is dynamic so I'm sure all 3 have their time as being the most dominant but as I said before, what I've read and seen in videos Olepelos is usually the front-runner out of the 3 Nd most aggressive. Just look at his face. He has the most scars, injuries, he's always out front patrolling. Ill see what I can dig up.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

To add to Leo's great post #2656 here is the link to the quarterly reports from MPCP page. 

https://www.marapredatorconservation.org...s/reports/

The  specific research program ended in 2013 but with the "quarterly reports" and "predetor posts" we find new and up to date info on whats going on in the Reserve and the greater Mara. We can also see how the collared predetors; lions, leapords, etc.... travel outside the protected areas into towns and villiages on a regular basis. We get an idea of how dire the situation is over there.
4 users Like BigLion39's post

Mwarcaar Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-28-2022, 04:13 PM by Mwarcaar )

(11-28-2022, 12:42 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(11-28-2022, 08:05 AM)Mwarcaar Wrote: on this video olepolos is patiently waiting for orkitok to finish eating before gleaning the leftovers despite orkitok's limp 

I'll see what I can find. In your video you posted IMHO its impossible to know what went down before we see Orkitok eating and Olepelos in the background. What I can deduct tho is both have very full bellys so both defines ate well. Maybe Olepelos just got up and walked away. To me it does not look like he is waiting for the rest of the meat. Domonance is dynamic so I'm sure all 3 have their time as being the most dominant but as I said before, what I've read and seen in videos Olepelos is usually the front-runner out of the 3 Nd most aggressive. Just look at his face. He has the most scars, injuries, he's always out front patrolling. Ill see what I can dig up.

My bad, you are absolutely right, I found the video. my memory played tricks on me. yet I was convinced that it was orkitok the dominant one, surely influenced by the video of rob the ranger that I saw more recently.

7 users Like Mwarcaar's post

BigLion39 Offline

(11-28-2022, 04:12 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote: My bad, you are absolutely right, I found the video. my memory played tricks on me. yet I was convinced that it was orkitok the dominant one, surely influenced by the video of rob the ranger that I saw more recently.

Hey no worries my friend!  I found this post on FB on Mar 21 2020 and here we have Olepelos fighting with the warrior Osapuk over a female while Orkitok says he doesn't want any part of it!!! I love all three of these lions. I've forgivin them for killing Baba Yao. And hurting my boy Lolparpit! 

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline

Sad about Enkuroto MIA. They were doing so good with Lookout prides. Not sure which one but either Spikey or Enkuroto is/was supposed son of 4 Muskies! 

5 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-03-2022, 01:53 PM by BigLion39 Edit Reason: Add credits )

Impressive Inselberg male Manywele! 

One of the Rongai Boys with the huge mega Ilkasiusiu Pride! 
*screenshot from Safari Steve video

1 of the 5 young and ruthless Offbeat Pride males Enkog'u, the one eye'd King! Looking impressive! L and O legacy!

11 users Like BigLion39's post

Super Moderator

Half Tail, has a rough road ahead, for sure. Tough place to be a lone dominant male.

10 users Like BA0701's post

United States BorntobeWild Online
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2022, 11:30 PM by BorntobeWild )

From LION LOVERS:

"Totally heartbroken

Jesse2/Olbarikoi has been killed by the Black Rockers
This is devastating news for us and the Fig Tree pride
Too many losses this year!

Heartbroken
RIP KING JESSE2/OLBARIKOI"

Another king has fallen, heartbreaking...
5 users Like BorntobeWild's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 12-10-2022, 11:39 PM by BA0701 )

(12-10-2022, 11:28 PM)BorntobeWild Wrote: From LION LOVERS:

"Totally heartbroken

Heartbroken

There's that new username, looks good! Every time I see a post from you, queue Steppenwolf in my head.

This is horrible news, 2022 has been such a heartbreaking year. His father still goes on at least, as far as I am aware, the outlaw nomad that he is.
3 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

"Totally heartbroken

Heartbroken

More sad news. R.I.P king.
3 users Like afortich's post

Canada Liner Offline

How many times have the vets treated and saved the BRB`s? They remain a 4-strong coalition and due to human intervention are "winning".
1 user Likes Liner's post

Mwk85 Offline

"Totally heartbroken

Heartbroken

Don't know if the events are related yet or not but here's a bit of an update posted by Lion Lovers on Twitter.

"Was Jesse2 killed by the Black Rockers Olobor and Oloshipa 
Or was it humans?
From posts I have read, it's not certain he was killed by lions now.
He was found close to Fig Tree camp inside the reserve, and a cow was killed last night in the area"
4 users Like Mwk85's post

BigLion39 Offline

Extremely heart-braking news. The last of the 4 Moniko-Sankai coalition males joins his other brothers in the after-life. Originally the "Offbeat 7" sired by the most impressive Frank and Jesse in 2015, leaves possibly, and I stress possibly (because he hasn't been seen in months), Kali maybe still alive. Rescently Jesse2 and Kali were the last 2 brothers alive. Such bad luck these boys had. 

Now it is only SPECULATION that Olobor and Oloshipa were the cause of Olbarikoi death. His lifeless body was found partially skinned and his face and front limbs were injury free. An autopsy is being done (from what I understand) at this moment. The Fig Tree pride territory/area is crawling with cattle grazing and Massai Shepherds. The core Fig Tree pride rescently disappeared off the planet so there is astrong chance Olbarikoi was killed by herders.  Reports of livestock taken the night of Jesse2 death are for real. 

Rescent un-related event of a lone Massai Shepherd was killed and eaten over in the Sopa Valley territory, supposedly the 2/3 Topi Boys Chungwa and Droopy (Mandevu surviving brothers) were reported the culprits. Supposely a few hundred meters away from where their brother  Mandevu, was brutally murdered by men. Supposely this Massai Shepard fell asleep alone at night after grazing his cattle in the reserve and the result he was eaten. Sad situation but IMHO stupidity by man and his own fault. Hopefully no retaliation happens to the lions and the govt man's up and does whats right, compensates the herders family and protects the last 2 Topi boys.

Craziness going on in the Mara.
6 users Like BigLion39's post