There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Spearboy surrounded by Hyenas and holding them off, filmed on 10/8/22.

6 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2022, 05:51 AM by afortich )

(10-12-2022, 05:17 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Spearboy surrounded by Hyenas and holding them off, filmed on 10/8/22.

So glad to see this boy standing his ground. 
I counted about 16 hyenas and couldn't do anything.
Any news of the friend he was with about a month ago??
3 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-12-2022, 05:48 AM)afortich Wrote:
(10-12-2022, 05:17 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Spearboy surrounded by Hyenas and holding them off, filmed on 10/8/22.

So glad to see this boy standing his ground. 
I counted about 16 hyenas and couldn't do anything.
Any news of the friend he was with about a month ago??

I have not heard any further on that other lion. It would be a real shame if he has left due to Spearboy's inability to keep up. Not saying that has happened, but it is concerning that he isn't in this clip. Spearboy is a true survivor, that much is indisputable, and his ability to provide for himself with his injury is absolutely remarkable.
5 users Like BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline

Nice find! This must have been hiding on YouTube! Spearboy impresses me so much!
3 users Like BigLion39's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2022, 09:17 AM by BigLion39 )

(10-12-2022, 05:48 AM)afortich Wrote: Any news of the friend he was with about a month ago??

I haven't heard anything on Kutiti since Rob the Rangers last short video. I'm sure they'll meet up again as both have hung out together on many different occasions and both are usually in the same area around Kissinger.
4 users Like BigLion39's post

Mwarcaar Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2022, 06:48 PM by Mwarcaar )

An impressive lion called olonana
he looks tall, bulky and ripped at the same time

8 users Like Mwarcaar's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2022, 12:04 PM by BigLion39 )

(10-14-2022, 04:48 AM)Mwarcaar Wrote: An impressive lion called olonana
he looks tall, bulky and ripped at the time

Rekero Boys sons Olonana, 1of 3 Fig Tree or Olkiombo Pride born boys, Notch bloodline. He had 2 more brothers, Senteu and Bastian. Senteu and Olonana were basically twins they looked so similar, said to be litter mates. Bastian likely had a different mother. Olonana was speared, not lethally, recovered quickly, but all 3 disappeared and are all gone unfortunately.

Edit.... There was a 4th brother but he disappeared early in in the coalitions travels.
6 users Like BigLion39's post

Mwarcaar Offline

(10-14-2022, 10:57 AM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(10-14-2022, 04:48 AM)Mwarcaar Wrote: An impressive lion called olonana
he looks tall, bulky and ripped at the time

Rekero Boys sons Olonana, 1of 3 Fig Tree or Olkiombo Pride born boys, Notch bloodline. He had 2 more brothers, Senteu and Bastian. Senteu and Olonana were basically twins they looked so similar, said to be litter mates. Bastian likely had a different mother. Olonana was speared, not lethally, recovered quickly, but all 3 disappeared and are all gone unfortunately

is there a possibility that they moved elsewhere or are they dead?
3 users Like Mwarcaar's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-16-2022, 12:08 PM by BigLion39 )

(10-15-2022, 07:04 PM)Mwarcaar Wrote: is there a possibility that they moved elsewhere or are they dead?Rep

There is a possibility as some of the conservancies are separated by unprotected areas with villiages and settlement towns. But Ol Kinyei is a hotbed for human interference. There are tons of cattle that graze inside the conservancy and also villiages are right on the outskirts. So with all of the trouble going on in Loliondo Tanzania the poor Massai people are being pushed out and flooding Kenyas Massai Mara and Conservancies like Ol Kinyei and what comes with them; Thousands of more cattle. So IMHO its more likely they have been killed.
4 users Like BigLion39's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

3 users Like afortich's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-23-2022, 12:32 PM by BigLion39 Edit Reason: More info )

This was posted last week but I just got a chance to share it here. Oloisukut is taking the initiative and gettingetting out there to try to sway the tide of human-predetor conflict. Good on them! Morani and Rekero Breakaway Boy take a foothold here over the pride. Morani might be able to raise 1 more generation of cubs up there as its on the outskirts and other males don't usually come this way. He'd have to look out for Herders tho.  It would be absolutely amazing if he and his son could do that!

This is the location of Oloisukut Consevancy I circled in yellow. Morani and Rekero Breakaway Boy are here.

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like BigLion39's post

Australia WARRIOR7 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-24-2022, 02:38 PM by WARRIOR7 )

R.I.P Logol.... Don't know where Halftail is ! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkFgwoyMJNm/...mMyMTA2M2Y=

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like WARRIOR7's post

BigLion39 Offline

Yes very sad. Atleast Logol went out as a warrior and not by the spear. Im hearing it was Mwana and Saningo, Logols half brothers who are the culprits. I watched a video of Engog'u with an Offbeat lioness so I wonder if he was with his 2 bros too. Those 3 are always together. 

Logol was in ExxOffbeat territory too. If they came back they could also be the culprits.
7 users Like BigLion39's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Its just me or number of fatal clashes increased recently in Mara?

I dont follow Mara as closely, was it always like that? It seems like every few weeks theres news of some male getting killed..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(10-24-2022, 05:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Its just me or number of fatal clashes increased recently in Mara?

I dont follow Mara as closely, was it always like that? It seems like every few weeks theres news of some male getting killed..
It's because the Marsh pride left their usual territory in Musiara Swamp for Mara North months' ago and they are paying a heavy pride. I really hope Half-Tail is fine and that he makes the right decision to come down to Musiara, despite the BilaShaka males' presence there.
5 users Like lionuk's post