There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Well, for instance their manes are more luxurious, that's the first thing that comes to my mind. I don't if it has to do with prey availability, or simply is one of the marks of that particular place.
Our friend @Pantherinae knows much more about them, but he hasn't been around here in the past months.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Yes agree. They pose me best looking over all. 
Also they look me more smoother when compared to other speically from sabi sands as they look me more rough. Also I think Mara lions are slightly more muscular when compared to Sabi sands Lion (except Hairy Belly from Matimba)
2 users Like sanjay's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(08-31-2015, 09:49 PM)sanjay Wrote: Beautiful. They looks so awesome

I am in mood to discuss about male lion from Mara, kenya when compared to Lions from other areas, like for example in Sabi sands, Kruger, or any other Africans country.

I have saw these Lions look more beautiful, strong, smooth with best looking mane. You can see Lipstick and Blackie, notch coalition earless and so on, they all look smart, and clean. The best looking male so far for me is Notch and Notch 2. They exactly look like Simba and Mufasa from lion king

What you guys think about them when compared to Lions from rest part of the African country ?

The grass is fater, the manes are thicker... Seriously I don't know, it' s only a feeling.

The life conditions in Sabi Sands, Savuti and so on are more harsher than in Masai Mara, I presume and I have read it (In a National Geographic  article about the Savuti lions).
2 users Like Spalea's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-11-2015, 11:48 PM by Tshokwane )

4KM males, Lipstick and Blackie in 2014. Photo Credits:Asilia Africa

*This image is copyright of its original author

Blackie. Pic:Anja Denker

Morani, from the Musketeers males.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

4KM Male Lions Lipstick and Blackie

Credit to: Daniel Ormaasani Sikona

Lion king Lipstick

credit to: Royal African Safaris

Again Lipstick and Blackie

credit to: Delphine Meriaux Photographe
3 users Like sanjay's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-17-2015, 07:25 PM by Tshokwane )

War!! 
Morani, Sikio and Hunter, from the Musketeers coalition found and attacked Blackie, one of the 4KM males.
Pics by Jackson Naurori

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

That is terrible news. Blackie is one of the most photogenic Lion.
Since the 3 Musketeers still around and his back is broken, unable to move, I think he will die for sure.
Where was the Lipstick ?
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-17-2015, 11:25 PM by Tshokwane )

I'm not sure if his back was broken, but for sure he was in pain when he tried to get up. However, if the Musketeer males stay there and keep their focus on him, Blackie has no chance.
From the comments I read, No one had seen Lipstick yet, so I don't know.

Edit: I just saw a comment in facebook from Brian Everitt: Update the Marsh Pride Male's left him alone and moved away but still in the area hopefully they will leave for good and Blackie can move during the night

However, like we discussed, if he's so injured that he is unable to move, then there is little hope for him.

Another Edit: Blackie was treated by vets
Photo credits Onesmus

3 users Like Tshokwane's post

lioncrazy Offline

So the vets helped him after the attack?
2 users Like lioncrazy's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

It seems like it, yes. I guess that since the rival males moved off, there wer able to help him. Hopefully he will recover and find his brother.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 10-18-2015, 10:12 PM by sanjay )

@Majingilane, I guess these three male lion coalitions from Masai Mara are most famous ? Please correct me if I am wrong -

Notch boys:
  • Notch
  • Notch 2
  • Long
  • Ceaser
  • Ron
  • Grimace
Among theme, Notch, Long and Recently Grimace are dead. They are remaining to 3 member coalition and perhaps the most famous Lion coalitions.

Musketeers coalition:
  • Morani
  • Sikio
  • Hunter
  • Scarface
I guess all of these are alive and after Notch they are most famous lion in Masai Mara ?

4 KM males:
  • Lipstick
  • Blackie
Originally they were coalition of 4 males, but 2 of them disappeared with time.
3 users Like sanjay's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Here is little more in depth information about blackie treatment 
Male Lion Blackie an 8 year old male lion form the trans mara conservancy was treated yesterday (17-oct-2015) on Rhino Ridge in the Mara reserve in the afternoon at 4.00pm for wounds on his rear torso inflicted through a fight with Marsh Pride male lions, Morani, Sikio and Hunter.
The David Sheldrick Mobile Clinic and Kenya Wildlife service vet Dr Limo were deployed very quickly and we owe our continued thanks to this Mobile veterinary clinic based in the Masai Mara.
Lion Blackie had received deep bite and scratch wounds on his right rear leg muscles. The wounds were all cleaned and disinfected. This male lion will will be monitored and should recover well in a very short time.
Patrick Reynolds, Governors 2 Moran Camp Manager

Thanks to Marsh pride FB page for this update
4 users Like sanjay's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Rekero Camp- Asilia Africa
Blackie this morning...seems hes slowly recovering though he haven't moved from the area he was attacked...maybe he might head back home tonite...photo credits onesmus

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

lioncrazy Offline

Was Blackie far from his land that lipstick never came?? What part of the mara do the 2 km males live?
2 users Like lioncrazy's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

I'm not too sure about that.

This is a pic of today: Blackie on the mend - Photo courtesy of Patrick Renolds, Governors Il Moran Camp. 

2 users Like Tshokwane's post