There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

David Lloyd: " Time Almost Up

Maasai Mara 2017
Black and white versus colour
Black and white versus colour is the never ending debate of which there can never be one answer. Even for one given picture we’ll never collectively conclude why one treatment succeeds over the other. There are just too many variables, the subject, the mood to convey, texture, simplicity, composition and its final destination all dictate. Even the physical size of the picture can have a bearing. For me it’s whatever looks or feels best without looking too hard for a reason. There are no real rules. But maybe if there anything, minimalism helps in b&w and monochromatic colour is generally best left that way.
If I prefer the b&w version, then so be it, if the colour, then the same for that too. If I can’t split them, I’ll be happy to have both and why not?
Having said all that, I probably gain the most satisfaction of having made a good b&w picture than one of colour. If I like it better in colour then I’ll leave it be and not make it a b&w for the sake of it. It’s certainly not a reason to compromise on hard fought pictures.
By the way, I dislike the word ‘conversion’. If you want to succeed with b&w then you need to make them from the ground up, not via shortcuts out of the colour ones.
The two close crops here are just meant to show a bit more detail and not insomuch for the final composition.
Can anyone else offer any thoughts on b&w versus colour? It would be interesting to know! "

4 users Like Spalea's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Portrait of a Young male after a sharp shower.
Photo by our guest @kdsnarayanan staying at Zebra Plains Mara Camp.
May 21, 2020.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Wildanimal Lover

Mohammed Shujath: " Grumpy ? . "

Wildanimal Lover

Herman Singh Heer: " Aggression⁣. "

Aggression ? The little death makes them very aggressiv...
3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

David Lloyd: " A Portrait of Mohican
Maasai Mara 2010 "

5 users Like Spalea's post

Mohawk4 Offline

The 3 Nomads close to Private Wing yesterday! Captured by our guide GK
Credits Mara Bush Camp - Private Wing  Mar 2019

Now after one year they are well known as the three Sala’s boys

Jesse Sep 2018
Credits Subhash Photography

7 users Like Mohawk4's post

Wildanimal Lover

Khalid: " Scar "

bigcatlover Offline

Coalition of male lions fighting over right to mate
3 users Like bigcatlover's post

Wildanimal Lover

Khalid: " Angry lion "

Wildanimal Lover

Mohammed Shujath: " Feasting beast. "

Wildanimal Lover

Michael Laubscher: " I know this is not the most attractive scene but a scene that is still a frequent reality of the natural world.

Nature is brutal. Life devours life. It’s a battle to the death."

Wildanimal Lover

Michael Laubscher: " A fleeing moment in time

Two against one;
Experience vs lack of; "

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Mohammed Shujath: " King Sikio. "

6 users Like Spalea's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 05-30-2020, 06:07 AM by BA0701 )

One of the most brutal fights between two male lions I have ever seen. The smaller of the two does a really good job at holding his own. It lasts for a very long time, and when it is all said and done it is impossible for me to think that they both did not suffer lasting injuries, or possibly even death as a result of this battle.

2 users Like BA0701's post

Wildanimal Lover

Michael Laubscher: " Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Like all magnificent things, it's very simple. "