There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Luxembourg Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

David Lloyd: " Sandman

Maasai Mara 2014
I used this picture for the front cover of my book AS LONG AS THERE ARE ANIMALS. It an uncropped full frame 36 megapixel picture so as such it prints well really big. I felt he matched the title of the book so perfectly that the cover took all of five minutes to design.
I called him Sandman because we found him near the Sand River in the southern part of the Maasai Mara. I’ve only seen him once or twice since but he’ll remain with me forever now as he represents one of my most satisfying portraits to date. "

4 users Like Spalea's post

Mohawk4 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-16-2020, 03:14 AM by Mohawk4 )

Kichwa males(Short Tail and Fang) crossing the river
Credits Nicolas Orillard-Demaire

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like Mohawk4's post

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " Anyone know what the male lion is up to?

Let me explain, in short.
You’ve all seen these expressive images before, or maybe even have a few yourself. It’s not a form of aggression & certainly not a roar or a snarl.
What’s happening here is very interesting.
In simple terms, this male lion is testing a scent - likely urine - and has the ability to gain very useful information from it.
He is equipped with a Jacobson’s Organ, a chemoreception organ with the ability to process information concealed in chemical signals derived from moisture.
Let’s say a lioness urinated close to a male lion. What the male lion will often do, is walk over to where she urinated, either smell or lick the urine & so the process starts.
He lifts his head high & often backwards (as can he seen in picture) and breathes air inwards & over the entrance of the organ (located on the roof of his mouth). In so doing, he activates the organ & the liquid (in this case urine) will be “processed”. He is then able to tell what the condition of the lioness is & most importantly, if she’s close to estrous. He can then start guarding her from other males & coalition partners, making sure he gets to mate once she if fully ready.
This is likely what this male lion was doing in this picture. "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Subhash Nair: " Lion shaking head to dry his wet mane. Photographed at Masai Mara, Kenya "

Wildanimal Lover

Beverly Joubert: " A lion in his prime parades across a lush plain, his steadfast gaze fixed on the horizon, scanning for any lurking threats. It’s staggering to think that in just 150 years the population of African lions has plummeted more than 20-fold. Hunting and habitat loss have cut the number of lions living in Africa down to just 20,000. A recent study that examined the genomes of lions, including extinct cave lions, added impetus to the idea that big cats need lots of space to roam. Large protected areas allow for healthy gene flow and help to protect the animals from hunting. It’s further evidence that if we hope to continue seeing these iconic cats striding across the grasslands, we need to put every effort into protecting their habitats and reducing both legal and illegal hunting. "

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

¡Masai mara!
Thomas George
May 16, 2020.

5 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Mohawk4 Offline

Kichwa Male "Fang"
He is probably the longest Male in the Mara.

Maasai Mara / March 2020

Credits Peter Rettig

6 users Like Mohawk4's post

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " Safari dreaming today & found this pic of a stunning male lion walking between our @wildeyesa safari vehicles in the Mara Triangle, Kenya. "

5 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Subhash Nair: " That wild pout! - Lion Photographed at Masai Mara, Kenya. "

Wildanimal Lover

" A King. Portrait from the Masai Mara ??. "

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " Looking to the Heavens "

Wildanimal Lover

Zhayynn James: " A lion exhibits a flehmen response, tasting the air to check the receptivity of the females of his pride. "

Wildanimal Lover

Varun Aditya: " Warrior just appeared like an Old Gun !
What sight to watch such magnificent animal on a foggy morning at Masai Mara. "

Wildanimal Lover

Varun Aditya: " Like a Thunder !
Portrait of a Lion shot on iPhoneXSMax at Masai Mara, Kenya. "

Wildanimal Lover

Khalid: " I look at you "