There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 7 Vote(s) - 3.57 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - B - THE LION (Panthera leo)

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators

Big skull of a male lion, Grizzly. I would be very interested to talk to the taxidermist. I knew a guy from Japan, but he returned some years ago and the contact was lost. I might try to contact the Japanese community in Amsterdam.
1 user Likes peter's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

Driscoll et al. (2015) just published a new study on modern lion genetics, finding "four clusters: 1) West/Central Africa, 2)East Africa, 3) Southern Africa and 4) India. This is not in line with the current taxonomy, as defined by the IUCN, which only recognizes an African and an Asiatic subspecies". See attached.
4 users Like tigerluver's post

United States GrizzlyClaws Offline
Canine Expert
Moderators

Primarily, there are two major clades for the Afro-Asiatic lion group, the northern one (Asiatic-Barbary-West/Central Africa) and the southern one (South/East Africa).
2 users Like GrizzlyClaws's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Wow, very interesting.

Let me read it first, I am going to comment latter. Happy
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators

DEVELOPMENTAL EFFECTS OF CLIMATE ON THE LION'S MANE (PANTHERA LEO) - See attached

Main points:
- Mane development reacts more to cold than heat.
- 50% of mane variation is due to climate in captive specimens. 
-The lack of manes in Pleistocene lions can be seen as a reason for speciation due to the contradiction with the first point.
4 users Like tigerluver's post

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

I guess this is the best place to put his, not sure if was seen before, just saw it today.

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like TheLioness's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Can you post the study?
I don't even know which lions and tigers were measured by Dr. Colin. R McHenry?

The only 272kg+ tiger skull they could use is Madla and I'm not even sure which skull they could use for a 272kg plus lion?
I'm also curious as the the difference he choose between the low estimate and high estimate.

TFS
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-16-2015, 11:37 PM by GrizzlyClaws )

It was based on the skulls from the past records.

And I am not sure if the 432 mm lion skull is still considered eligible. Maybe shall we acquire more opinion from Guate?
1 user Likes GrizzlyClaws's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Which skull did they use for the 275kg+ tiger do you know?
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Canine Expert
Moderators

Mostly based on the estimation from the skulls.

These skulls were belong to the record from the unknown individuals.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 12-16-2015, 11:50 PM by GuateGojira )

I don't think that those large skulls were actually measured, but just gathered from literature. Longest skulls measured by scientists are of 383 mm and 408 mm, for tiger and lion respectively. The figure of 420 mm for lion came from a hunting record (although accepted by Hemmer).

We need the document for more details.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Canada Dr Panthera Offline
Pharmacist and biologist

(12-05-2015, 09:12 AM)tigerluver Wrote: Driscoll et al. (2015) just published a new study on modern lion genetics, finding "four clusters: 1) West/Central Africa, 2)East Africa, 3) Southern Africa and 4) India. This is not in line with the current taxonomy, as defined by the IUCN, which only recognizes an African and an Asiatic subspecies". See attached.

Excellent study, while the genetic distance is minimal among all four clusters, securing subspecies status for the Indian lions and the West/Central African lions will help with according them additional conservation measures by classifying them endangered versus vulnerable and so on
1 user Likes Dr Panthera's post

Canine Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 12-24-2015, 05:37 AM by GrizzlyClaws )

(12-24-2015, 04:42 AM)Dr Panthera Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 09:12 AM)tigerluver Wrote: Driscoll et al. (2015) just published a new study on modern lion genetics, finding "four clusters: 1) West/Central Africa, 2)East Africa, 3) Southern Africa and 4) India. This is not in line with the current taxonomy, as defined by the IUCN, which only recognizes an African and an Asiatic subspecies". See attached.

Excellent study, while the genetic distance is minimal among all four clusters, securing subspecies status for the Indian lions and the West/Central African lions will help with according them additional conservation measures by classifying them endangered versus vulnerable and so on

The Indian lions also evolved from the West African lions, there is almost no doubt about it.

I think we are pretty close to the origin of the mythical European lions, and they were likely derived from another group of the West African lions that spread to Europe in the late Pleistocene.

Greece LionKiss Offline

a relatively old video about the diminishing lion population in Africa.

do we have statistics about the numbers now?

1 user Likes LionKiss's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

We do not have any real figure, But I think approx 30,000 lions left
2 users Like sanjay's post