There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-02-2020, 07:54 PM by Pckts )

I received word on Jokers body measurements 

Joker was 236 cm long (from the head to the tip of the tail), 76 cm tall, 126 cm of chest circumference, 66 cm of neck circumference

Compared to Almeidas 

"The greatest height at the shoulder recorded by us was 32''; the average shoulder height of 29 male Pantanal jaguars came to 26.28''
"The height of a jaguar is a good indication of its  size. Another good indication is the girth (circumference) of the body directly behind the shoulders and at the middle of the belly. 
Largest girth behind the shoulder we have annotated is 43'', but Pantanal males average 40'' and females 36''
"A female who had utterly gorged herself showed the extraordinary girth of 44.5'' around her stomach, a measurement only a few males ever surpass. The record stomach girth, however, belonged to a male whose belly was empty, except for some hair. It went 47"

"The largest head circumference we have recorded is 30.25"; the average for 31 Pantanal males is 27.77", for seventeen Pantanal females 23.82. The largest neck circumference for a male is 27"; the average neck girth of 28 males is 24.93", of 16 females 21.44"

"The largest girth at shoulder of a male went 25.5'', of a female 22''. The average of 30 males 22.23'', of 17 females 18.94''. Several Males showed a forearm girth of 17'', though the average of 30 males is 24.93'', of females 13.65''

Joker vs Almeidas 

6" thicker at the chest than Almeidas Largest Jag and 2" larger than the record girth he mentions.
1" Less in the neck than Almeidas Largest Jag
His body Length including his tail is very long.
29" Shoulder height *taller than average but shorter than record height*

Overall Joker is a long Jaguar with a fairly tall shoulder height and a large neck but he is immensely massive in his chest girth.
I'd love to know some of the Northern Panatanal measurements from modern times but I've had no luck as of yet.
4 users Like Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(01-02-2020, 06:17 PM)Pckts Wrote: I received word on Jokers body measurements 

Joker was 236 cm long (from the head to the tip of the tail), 76 cm tall, 126 cm of chest circumference, 66 cm of neck circumference

Compared to Almeidas 

"The greatest height at the shoulder recorded by us was 32''; the average shoulder height of 29 male Pantanal jaguars came to 26.28''
"The height of a jaguar is a good indication of its  size. Another good indication is the girth (circumference) of the body directly behind the shoulders and at the middle of the belly. 
Largest girth behind the shoulder we have annotated is 43'', but Pantanal males average 40'' and females 36''
"A female who had utterly gorged herself showed the extraordinary girth of 44.5'' around her stomach, a measurement only a few males ever surpass. The record stomach girth, however, belonged to a male whose belly was empty, except for some hair. It went 47"

"The largest head circumference we have recorded is 30.25"; the average for 31 Pantanal males is 27.77", for seventeen Pantanal females 23.82. The largest neck circumference for a male is 27"; the average neck girth of 28 males is 24.93", of 16 females 21.44"

"The largest girth at shoulder of a male went 25.5'', of a female 22''. The average of 30 males 22.23'', of 17 females 18.94''. Several Males showed a forearm girth of 17'', though the average of 30 males is 24.93'', of females 13.65''

Joker vs Almeidas 

6" thicker at the chest than Almeidas Largest Jag and 2" larger than the record girth he mentions.
1" Less in the neck than Almeidas Largest Jag
His body Length not including tail is about 63"

I'm asking about shoulder height and procedure
Thanks a lot for your valuable information
2 users Like epaiva's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-02-2020, 10:39 PM by peter )

PC

Good info. Thanks on behalf of all.

a- Questions

1 - Can you ask them what method they use to measure the total length of jaguars ('over curves' or 'between pegs')?

2 - Do they measure the head and body length and the length of the tail seperately? 

3 - Do they really measure the belly circumference or do they use a different method to get to an accurate estimate? I ask because biologists at times only measure a part of the chest circumference. The reason is some wild ats are too heavy to move.   

4 - Why do they measure the belly circumference and not the chest circumference?

5 - Do they measure the circumference of the neck directly below the skull or just above the shoulders? 

6 - Do they measure the circumference of the skull just before or just behind the ears?

b - Differences between different big cat species

The answers are needed in order to be able to compare jaguars and Sumatran tigers. Dimensionwise, there seem to be species-related differences between the big cats. I measured captive Sumatrans and Amurs. The captive male lions I measured had bigger chests and skulls than the male Amur tigers and seemed a bit more robust up front, but the Amurs, although measured and weighed after a prolonged period of neglect, were a bit heavier. 

All in all, I conclusion that weight in tigers isn't a direct result of robustness, but something else. I got to a similar conclusion on wild Indian tigers shot a century ago. The only more or less consistent difference between (both captive and wild male) lions and tigers I found is tigers have (relatively) bigger fore-arms. Males of large subspecies also are a bit longer.

Captive tigers often appear a bit lankier than captive lions, but reliable information says they're as heavy or heavier. Wild Indian tigers not seldom are quite muscular and robust. This is the reason I think they could be heavier than many assume.

Anyhow. In order to compare the big cats, details are needed. See what you can do and thanks in advance.
1 user Likes peter's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 01:15 AM by Pckts )

(01-02-2020, 10:31 PM)peter Wrote: PC

Good info. Thanks on behalf of all.

a- Questions

1 - Can you ask them what method they use to measure the total length of jaguars ('over curves' or 'between pegs')?

2 - Do they measure the head and body length and the length of the tail seperately? 

3 - Do they really measure the belly circumference or do they use a different method to get to an accurate estimate? I ask because biologists at times only measure a part of the chest circumference. The reason is some wild ats are too heavy to move.   

4 - Why do they measure the belly circumference and not the chest circumference?

5 - Do they measure the circumference of the neck directly below the skull or just above the shoulders? 

6 - Do they measure the circumference of the skull just before or just behind the ears?

b - Differences between different big cat species

The answers are needed in order to be able to compare jaguars and Sumatran tigers. Dimensionwise, there seem to be species-related differences between the big cats. I measured captive Sumatrans and Amurs. The captive male lions I measured had bigger chests and skulls than the male Amur tigers and seemed a bit more robust up front, but the Amurs, although measured and weighed after a prolonged period of neglect, were a bit heavier. 

All in all, I conclusion that weight in tigers isn't a direct result of robustness, but something else. I got to a similar conclusion on wild Indian tigers shot a century ago. The only more or less consistent difference between (both captive and wild male) lions and tigers I found is tigers have (relatively) bigger fore-arms. Males of large subspecies also are a bit longer.

Captive tigers often appear a bit lankier than captive lions, but reliable information says they're as heavy or heavier. Wild Indian tigers not seldom are quite muscular and robust. This is the reason I think they could be heavier than many assume.

Anyhow. In order to compare the big cats, details are needed. See what you can do and thanks in advance.
-Over the Curves, Tail was 71cm
-Total Body Length would be 165cm or about 65'' 

Also shoulder height was measured to the paw, Almeida prefers to straighten the Leg then measure to heel of the forefoot while others straighten the entire paw downward. 
He didn't clarify what he meant by "paw" and I didn't want to get to pushy on that note, I can't imagine it's much of difference between the 2 but I'm sure there is a difference albeit, small. 

"We measure the chest from the spine to the center of the chest (sternum) and multiply it by 2. Doing this we don't need to change the animal's position and disrupt the measurements of vital signs which our vet does.
We use to measure the neck in the middle part (between the base of the skull and shoulders)
The circumference of skull just before the ears getting the masseters muscles"

He thinks the Jaguars in the North are slightly different than the South

He also said
"A problem we have is that our coordinator always gives the opportunity to someone measure the jaguars, I mean each capture is a different person measuring the animals which mess up the accuracy and the protocols.
It's nice because you teach someone else but you lose accuracy although there is always somebody supervising it."
2 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-08-2020, 02:07 AM by Dark Jaguar )

credits: onçafari

Natureza female weights 86.5 kilos https://oncafari.org/animal/natureza/

*This image is copyright of its original author

Natureza ( means nature in portuguese ) is the daughter of Esperança and the mother of Felino male and Felina female.

Natureza's territory in purple

8 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-10-2020, 02:19 AM by Dark Jaguar )

credits: onçafari

Onçafari December's captures campaign

Decembers captures was a success.

These were  the 4 jags that were captured by the onçafari team last month in december to be measured, checked and to get new collars.

note: their only measurement revelation to the public is just weight no shoulders size neither chest or anything detailed like that just weight.

1- Oreia female 66 kg

Note: Oreia was in heat and close to Magrão male at the time of capture.

2- Pandhora female 63 kg

Pandhora, one of the jaguars captured during the season.

3- Fênix sub adult female 45 kg

Note: As she is not an adult jag yet, she hasn't received a collar. But she is still being monitored by trap cameras and observation, until she approaches 60 kg.

4- Sombra male 122 kg

Sombra was the only male captured during the season.

onçafari's offical website campaign's page (in portuguese) https://oncafari.org/2020/01/05/campanha-de-capturas-de-dezembro-conheca-as-novas-oncas-pintadas-monitoradas-pelo-oncafari/
7 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-11-2020, 09:56 AM by Dark Jaguar )

credits: Linha Verde's Website

Onçafari project and partners capture 112 kg male jaguar in 2012

During an Oncafari Project capture expedition earlier this month, staff from the National Center for Carnivorous Mammal Research and Conservation (Cenap) at the Chico Mendes Institute for Biodiversity Conservation (ICMBio) accompanied by environmental analyst Rômulo Mello captured a jaguar adult male with 112 kg in Miranda, South Mato Grosso.

The Onçafari Project is coordinated by Cenap / ICMBio in partnership with Wildlife Conservation and Caiman Ecological Refuge. The goal is to establish protocols for jaguar sighting touris thus to increase the chances of tourists seeing the animal in its natural environment without changes in behavior and any risk of accident.

Learn more (in portuguese) on : http://programalinhaverde.blogspot.com/2012/04/projeto-oncafari.html

5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-11-2020, 01:18 PM by peter )

DARK JAGUAR

Excellent information on the size of Pantanal jaguars. Many thanks on behalf of all.

It seems we have to adjust the general idea about the weight of Pantanal jaguars. Based on what I have (I read 'Jaguar hunting in the Mato Grosso and Bolivia', de Almeida (T), 2012 - 'The jungle hunter', Cavanagh (J), 2000 - 'Mammals of Suriname', Husson (AM), 1978 - 'The world of the jaguar', Perry ®, 1970 - 'Jaguar', Siemel (S), 1953 - 'Body mass and skull measurements in four jaguar populations and observations on their prey base', Hoogesteijn ® and Mondolfi (E), 1996 and Rabinowitz' great book about jaguars in Belize), I concluded adult (4 years and older) male jaguars in the Pantanal averaged between 95-110 kg., but it seems 110 kg. could be closer to the mark today.

Weightwise, adult male Pantanal jaguars almost compare to adult wild male Sumatran tigers. At 235-240 cm. in total length measured 'between pegs' and 310-315 mm. in greatest total skull length, Sumatran males are a bit larger, but the difference is limited. Sumatrans, by the way, are the only tigers (at the level of subspecies) where males and females overlap in size (weight, skull length and total length 'between pegs'). Anything known about jaguars in that department? 

I measured a few dozen jaguar skulls in museums and private collections and would be interested in recent information about skulls of Pantanal jaguars. If you find anything, please let me know.
3 users Like peter's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-12-2020, 03:06 AM by Dark Jaguar )

PETER

thanks @peter and nice comparison to the sumatran tiger and yeah they both male pantanal jag and male sumatran tiger are quite similar in size. I completely agree patanal jags (and even other jags population in Brazil as well) are larger today and do you know what type of official study/research has to be done to finally set pantanal jaguar's ''official'' average weight higher than 90/96 kilos? and how many jags do they have to weight to come to that conclusion? IF this is the way they do it.

about the skulls for sure I'll let you know when I get some measurements regarding pantanal jags skulls. Like

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-23-2020, 10:10 PM by Dark Jaguar Edit Reason: Some pics are not showing up )

2 Atlantic Forest Jaguars caught male 73kg and female 54kg

(I wanna know how Atlantic Forest Jaguars compares to Caatinga jags)    

PUBLISHED BY: ESTADÃO https://infograficos.estadao.com.br/cidades/fauna-invisivel/no-rastro-da-onca.php#&gid=null&pid=2

5 YEAR OLD FEMALE ATLANTIC FOREST JAGUAR 54 KILOS AND 1.3 METERS IN LENGTH

HER NAME IS SONECA ( THE ONE WHO SLEEPS ALOT IN PORTUGUESE)

ATLANTIC FOREST JAGUARS ARE TYPICALLY SMALLER THAN PANTANAL JAGUARS AND CERRADO JAGUARS AND MOST LIKELY COMPARABLE IN SIZE TO CAATINGA AND AMAZONIC JAGUARS.

ATLANTIC FOREST JAGS IS ONE OF THE TWO MOST ENDANGERED JAGUAR POPULATION IN BRAZIL.

VET AND MONITOR GIVE SONECA THE LAST INJECTION SHOT TO COLLECT BLOOD.

SONECA'S CANINES

THE RESEARCHERS RETURNED TO THE CAR AND AWAITED THE JAG WAKE UP TO RETURN BACK INTO THE ATLANTIC FOREST.

THE JAGUAR TOOK 5 LONG HOURS TO WAKE UP FROM THE ANESTHESIA, HENCE WHY SHE WAS NAMED SONECA  Funny

SONECA WAS CAPTURED IN JUNE 24TH 2014

PUBLISHED BY: https://espacoecologiconoar.com.br/acho-que-vi-um-gatinho-que-encontra-se-na-lista-de-especies-ameacadas-do-mma/

ONÇAS DO IGUAÇU PROJECT CAPTURES MALE ATLANTIC FOREST JAGUAR WEIGHING 73KG

CANINE MEASURED

BLOOD COLLECTED

WEIGHED

ONÇAS DO IGUAÇU PROJECT TEAM SITTING NEXT TO THE ATLANTIC FOREST MALE JAGUAR

What do you want to do ?
New mail
Copy
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-17-2020, 08:12 PM by Pckts )

121kg Male

Huge 134kg 4 year old
Jaguars continue to gain quite a bit of mass and skull size long past the age 4 so he would of been gigantic, unfortunately he was killed.

Very large 91kg female

6 users Like Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-23-2020, 11:55 PM by Dark Jaguar )

1 Atlantic forest Jaguar and 4 amazonic jaguars

credits: Projeto Carnívoros do Iguaçu http://jorgepegoraro.blogspot.com/2012/01/onca-pintada-capturada-no-parque.html

60 kilos 4 years old Atlantic Forest young male

credits: Instituto Mamirauá http://www.renctas.org.br/pesquisadores-do-mamiraua-registram-a-maior-onca-pintada-na-varzea-amazonica/

72 kilos 6 years old Amazonic male

credits: Instituto Mamirauá https://ciclovivo.com.br/planeta/meio-ambiente/instituto-monitora-onca-pintada-em-gestacao-na-amazonia/

54 kilos melanistic amazonic male named Django measuring 1m80 and 39 kilos amazonic pregnant female named Fofa measuring 1m68

There are only pics of the pregnant female

photo: Amanda Lelis

credits: Instituto Mamirauá https://tudosobretech.wordpress.com/tag/capturada/

47 kilos amazonic adult healthy male

5 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-27-2020, 01:54 AM by Dark Jaguar )

1 atlantic forest male 1 cerrado male and 1 pantanal female

credits: https://bhaz.com.br/2019/05/13/onca-pintada-capturada/

4 years old 51.6 kilos atlantic forest male that caused many sleepless nights to the local people in Juiz de Fora Brazil they even shut down the zoo.

in the video he was spotted near the zoo in the dead of night

awesome video with vets checking his measurements and conditions he measures 1,81 meters of length.

credits: http://www.aguaboanews.com.br/noticias/imprimir.asp?id=12531&iframe=true&width=630&height=540

83 kilos Cerrado young male that caused rampage in Morro da Medanha brazil

According to the local people he ate some dogs and a few cattles the authorities wanted to capture him in a long time with no success he escaped 3 capture attempts only after jaguar specialist Leandro Silveira that works with wild jaguars since 2002, his wife Anah and his team jaguar conservation fund that joined they managed to capture the beast.

77.8 kilos pantanal female

check the video in this link bellow at 10 min. they manage to capture the Pantanal female weight and measure her

http://redeglobo.globo.com/como-sera/sobre-as-asas/noticia/2016/01/max-fercondini-e-amanda-richter-chegam-ao-pantanal.html
4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2021, 04:42 AM by Dark Jaguar )

credits: Proyecto Yaguareté  https://pt-br.facebook.com/proyaguarete/photos/ms.c.eJw1y9ENxEAIA9GOTsZgA~;03dtpk8~;s0Q~_wkzUgDwf3xAa1BexgvFMDUTtd8hetZxhegs3T6LqTjQOgW0a2zbOuFVFVql~;AfPTwbTQ~-~-.bps.a.2098311960268221/2098326213600129/?type=3&theater

108 kilos male Jaguar around 4 to 5 years old in provincia de chaco, north Argentina

His name is Qaramta.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-01-2020, 02:14 AM by Dark Jaguar )

91.5 kilos lactating Pantanal female

she is estimated to be 7 years old.

her neck girth is 55 cm.

watch the full video of the capture in south pantanal.  https://g1.globo.com/sp/campinas-regiao/terra-da-gente/noticia/2020/01/10/aventura-no-pantanal-captura-de-onca-pintada-para-projeto-de-melhoramento-genetico.ghtml