There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

adamstocks16 Offline

Wonder what’s going on with the Birmingham Breakaway Males, seems like they might be in the process of taking over Mayambula Pride (or at least part of it) but only seems to be regular sightings of the oldest male. Have the others all been accounted for recently?
2 users Like adamstocks16's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-09-2024, 05:49 PM)adamstocks16 Wrote: Wonder what’s going on with the Birmingham Breakaway Males, seems like they might be in the process of taking over Mayambula Pride (or at least part of it) but only seems to be regular sightings of the oldest male. Have the others all been accounted for recently?

As far as im aware, only 3 are seen in that area.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of three of the newest members of the Sark breakaway pride at Kings Camp Lodge

Photo credit: Jason Street
Timbavati Game Reserve

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like T I N O's post

United States BorntobeWild Online

(06-08-2024, 07:57 AM)afortich Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 07:28 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: Wasn't it this male that a few years ago was in very bad shape after a dispute with unknown lions/pride? If I'm not mistaken, he had been struggling to recover since that time.

Not 100% percent sure but I believe this boy has a brother and they were doing ok.
They even consumed a subadult male that they killed, not long ago. And they're very savage, they killed Lagertha's mother.

Does anyone know if there is any update on Lagertha?
2 users Like BorntobeWild's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-09-2024, 07:52 PM)BorntobeWild Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 07:28 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: Wasn't it this male that a few years ago was in very bad shape after a dispute with unknown lions/pride? If I'm not mistaken, he had been struggling to recover since that time.

Not 100% percent sure but I believe this boy has a brother and they were doing ok.
They even consumed a subadult male that they killed, not long ago. And they're very savage, they killed Lagertha's mother.

I was just reminded yesterday, by @afortich when he mentioned how her mother was killed, that I hadn't heard anything about her in some time. Perhaps he knows more about what is going on with her.
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2024, 07:29 AM by afortich )

(06-09-2024, 08:33 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-09-2024, 07:52 PM)BorntobeWild Wrote:

I was just reminded yesterday, by @afortich when he mentioned how her mother was killed, that I hadn't heard anything about her in some time. Perhaps he knows more about what is going on with her.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything lately.

Last thing I heard is that the Lagertha was admitted back to her natal pride (Ngati) but she still was going away from the pride for many days and come back again.

Then, I further heard that with the new dominant males chasing the subadults, then, Lagertha incremented the time away from the Ngati pride, which I don't understand because she is an adult now and dominant males won't kill her. This was more or less about six months ago.
2 users Like afortich's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Wasn't Lagartha infertile?  She never gave birth or raised cubs as far as I recall.  I was wondering about that.  Even when males came, she never had cubs.  I think she disappeared some time ago.  She was already closer to 10 or so, but still not too old to live for a good 5+ years....
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2024, 02:18 AM by BA0701 )

Nice tribute to Limping Monwana Male.  He did get a chance to have a pride and cubs, albeit briefly, before sharply deteriorating....and then the attack came from the N. BDMs.  It's absolutely amazing he held on for at least 3 years after his crippling injury!  I don't know of any other lion with such an injury (even not as bad, in my opinion) hanging on that long.... Others, maybe a year or so, but he had a strong will to survive.

Not sure if the video is embedded because I cannot click on the link and connect to it after posting the darn thing.

Here's the link just in case, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2Is3do8Co
8 users Like Cath2020's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2024, 07:28 AM by afortich )

(06-09-2024, 10:24 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Wasn't Lagartha infertile?  She never gave birth or raised cubs as far as I recall.  I was wondering about that.  Even when males came, she never had cubs.  I think she disappeared some time ago.  She was already closer to 10 or so, but still not too old to live for a good 5+ years....

The Lagertha from Ngati is not that old. Not sure but she is about 5 years old or a little older. She survived for while living as leopard.
2 users Like afortich's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-09-2024, 10:27 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Nice tribute to Limping Monwana Male.  He did get a chance to have a pride and cubs, albeit briefly, before sharply deteriorating....and then the attack came from the N. BDMs.  It's absolutely amazing he held on for at least 3 years after his crippling injury!  I don't know of any other lion with such an injury (even not as bad, in my opinion) hanging on that long.... Others, maybe a year or so, but he had a strong will to survive.

2 Monwana males are another "big what if" if Limping Monwana didnt sustain that leg injury so young.

They where very confident and bold to challenge and overthrown their father when they just turned 4 yrs of age.

And if not that injury, they would prob not get defeated by Hercules/Sumatra, as Limping Monwana prob couldnt do much to support his brother in that clash.

Shame, but yea, surviving 3 yrs as a male nomad with only 3 legs is truly remarkable feat, he will be remembered as iconic lion.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Sweden Ttimemarti Offline

So the southern black dam male is roaring in Monwana territory and so are his 3 brothers very interesting
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Super Moderator

(06-09-2024, 10:27 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:

Nice tribute to Limping Monwana Male.  He did get a chance to have a pride and cubs, albeit briefly, before sharply deteriorating....and then the attack came from the N. BDMs.  It's absolutely amazing he held on for at least 3 years after his crippling injury!  I don't know of any other lion with such an injury (even not as bad, in my opinion) hanging on that long.... Others, maybe a year or so, but he had a strong will to survive.

Not sure if the video is embedded because I cannot click on the link and connect to it after posting the darn thing.

Here's the link just in case, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2Is3do8Co

Fixed it for you. 

Spear Boy's leg was just about as bad, he carried it up high on his body in a very similar fashion.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(06-10-2024, 01:29 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-09-2024, 10:27 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Nice tribute to Limping Monwana Male.  He did get a chance to have a pride and cubs, albeit briefly, before sharply deteriorating....and then the attack came from the N. BDMs.  It's absolutely amazing he held on for at least 3 years after his crippling injury!  I don't know of any other lion with such an injury (even not as bad, in my opinion) hanging on that long.... Others, maybe a year or so, but he had a strong will to survive.

2 Monwana males are another "big what if" if Limping Monwana didnt sustain that leg injury so young.

They where very confident and bold to challenge and overthrown their father when they just turned 4 yrs of age.

And if not that injury, they would prob not get defeated by Hercules/Sumatra, as Limping Monwana prob couldnt do much to support his brother in that clash.

Shame, but yea, surviving 3 yrs as a male nomad with only 3 legs is truly remarkable feat, he will be remembered as iconic lion.

There is even video of the two of them chasing their father, the original BDM, who was one of the biggest lions ever (I believe his skull was measured as the third biggest in their records). There were even rumors, which were later shot down, that the two of them had finished him off, after he was gored by that buffalo. Point being, there was clearly tension between them.
3 users Like BA0701's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

S.BDM.
Never paid any real attention to this thread, but I’m very intrigued on what will come of this. Realistically, the 3 brothers mainly with Avoca Pride won’t accept him while them two cubs are still alive and prolly don’t feel a need to have him around. Yet, it’s a weird approach for a male lion to go into territory like this even despite them being his brothers, he hasn’t seen them for just under two years. Maybe he’s picked up on their scent already, and feels as if he’ll be accepted. Will definitely be sticking around to see what happens with this.

5 users Like KM600's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Hopefully brothers will recognize him and accept him back into the coalition. Thumbs up for the boy!

8 users Like Potato's post