There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-06-2024, 04:38 PM)sik94 Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 03:28 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Bigger southern black dam male has returned to thornybush!

Didn't see that coming. Is that the one Khanya was dominating few days ago?

Yes. Definitely didn’t see him going back home coming
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-06-2024, 04:08 PM)Robot00 Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 03:28 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Bigger southern black dam male has returned to thornybush!
I guess his other southern brother might have not made it.

Hopefully he gets accepted back with his northern brothers but it's gonna tough
Hopefully but I don’t think it’s likely but I mean the lone brother might accept him
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-06-2024, 04:45 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Hopefully but I don’t think it’s likely but I mean the lone brother might accept him

Yea, other 3 I dont think so, they dont fully even accept 4th male.

I guess his brother passed away, reports are he was last seen in not so great condition, doubt he would abandon him otherwise.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-06-2024, 04:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 04:45 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Hopefully but I don’t think it’s likely but I mean the lone brother might accept him

I guess his brother passed away, reports are he was last seen in not so great condition, doubt he would abandon him otherwise.
Either the plains camp males killed him or he might’ve died due to TB same with S8 he was seen throwing up and skinny then days later he died
4 users Like Ttimemarti's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-06-2024, 04:21 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 04:43 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 03:49 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: Interestingly enough, the Timbavati River Pride Subs were seen not long ago.  There were 3 members present, including the female!  So, one male possibly didn't make it.

So, barring anything bad having happened to one male, the entire pride consists of one adult female, and three subs, including 2 males?

No, these are the Timbavati Rivers Subs only....whose members had to go nomadic at a very young age....possibly even before they turned 2, give or take a month.  They were originally 3 males and 1 female....youngsters of the Nharhu Males (3 males total when they were alive).  Xitaya was killed defending his pride/cubs against the Skorros.   There is still Skorrokoro, now over the Western Pride.  

They were not spotted in ages!

Thank you for that, it was very helpful!
2 users Like BA0701's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2024, 07:24 PM by BA0701 )

(06-06-2024, 06:12 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 04:58 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Either the plains camp males killed him or he might’ve died due to TB same with S8 he was seen throwing up and skinny then days later he died

I am of the camp that believes that the majority of these cats have TB, with buffalo making up a lot of their diet, it is almost impossible to not become infected. However, I believe, it remains dormant until something triggers it, things such as injuries, hard fought battles, etc... Anything that might cause their body to focus healing, and lower their body's ability to fend off a disease such as TB. Many cats who perish as a result of TB, seem to have been fine, until they received what would typically be a recoverable injury, next thing they are very thin, unable to maintain condition. We have seen this play out way too many times.

I believe the, apparently, now passed SBDM, had such an issue. Those boys were in great condition, couple of skirmishes later, and he gets a permanent limp, he is seen throwing up, and super thin. We know that TB causes crystals to build up on the bones, making it excruciating to take a step, and I, personally, believe that the black spots we start seeing are caused by those crystals, and the rubbing that happens with movement, I believe they come from the inside out. It is a real disappointment that things played out as they did for those two young males, there was a lot of hope generated for their success.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-06-2024, 06:12 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Either the plains camp males killed him or he might’ve died due to TB same with S8 he was seen throwing up and skinny then days later he died

I dont think he was killed, prob died similar to S8.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2024, 11:14 PM by afortich )

I guess that the fact that BDM went back home is a big sign that his brother is probably dead.
Hopefully, the lone brother will accept him. This is so sad.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
Question 

1 of BBreakaway males:

Photo credits: billdrewmpisi

*This image is copyright of its original author
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-06-2024, 10:19 PM)afortich Wrote: I guess that the fact that BDM went back home is a big sign that his brother is dead.

Is this confirmed? Is there a video of the Black Damn male lion returning home? Like a young Mapogo male lion after he was alone he went back to his older brothers. I was wondering. When the younger Black Damn male lions went to Sabi Sands were the 4 older brothers already with lionesses? If they did the story sounds familiar. The Black damn male lions knew where their older brothers were and they left. They were a strong coalition they were younger than the other male lions around. They were looking big and stronger. If he is back with his brothers I would not doubt that with what he has been through he might be the leader in a few years. I know he is younger and his brothers would not be that old. His brothers are not that old and he stays around and his brothers stay around that would be interring to see.

Ttimemarti Offline

Little bit different then the mapogo the from what I understand the mapogos split but they still saw eachother from time to time but southern black dam males have been in sabi sands for over a year I believe away from their brothers idk what will happen if he meets his brothers but I am very interested in what will happen. He pulled a skorro jr move when limper died skorro jr went back to manyeleti
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2024, 11:17 PM by afortich )

(06-06-2024, 10:41 PM)Go131810 Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 10:19 PM)afortich Wrote: I guess that the fact that BDM went back home is a big sign that his brother is dead.

Is this confirmed? Is there a video of the Black Damn male lion returning home? 

Not sure but one of the postings above by @Ttimemarti states that he returned to Thornybush.

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-06-2024, 11:11 PM by Mapokser )

For the S.BDM to take such drastic measure he must know something we don't, meaning now it is very likely the PCM did indeed kill the other S.BDM.

Chances the N.BDM will accept him ( any of them ) is negative, they haven't seen each other in more than 2 years and weren't even territorial when they split.

Though contrary to what was said, the 3 BDM fully accept the fourth brother, not even 1 month ago they were seen patrolling together.

Reason they attacked the fourth brother back in the day was probably because he had not visited in 6 months and the other brothers had new cubs.

Edit: last sighting of smaller S.BDM was in a video of him fleeing the PCM, he was in normal condition and wasn't limping. The report was that the PCM chased the BDM ( who were with a lioness ), and since then only the bigger one is seen. A Western guide then, after PCM returned, posted photos and videos of the brothers, saying and showing that bigger PCM had new scars and smaller one was limping, and also adding that they may have had in a territorial fight.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Ttimemarti Offline

It was said the reason they attacked the 4th brother was because of confusion as they tried to catch another young male but he got away was it not?
3 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Contributor

(06-07-2024, 12:58 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It was said the reason they attacked the 4th brother was because of confusion as they tried to catch another young male but he got away was it not?

I remember that my friend
3 users Like afortich's post