There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-07-2024, 12:58 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It was said the reason they attacked the 4th brother was because of confusion as they tried to catch another young male but he got away was it not?

Yea, theres video, they where chasing Guernsey male, and in whole chasing mess attacked 1 of themselves (not sure if it was indeed 4th male either).
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(06-07-2024, 01:12 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 12:58 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It was said the reason they attacked the 4th brother was because of confusion as they tried to catch another young male but he got away was it not?

Yea, theres video, they where chasing Guernsey male, and in whole chasing mess attacked 1 of themselves (not sure if it was indeed 4th male either).

I don’t think it was the loner that got attacked but I thought that’s what happened thanks
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Apperantly 1 of the legendary Masungulo males passed away (older looking one, he was struggling occasionaly with health for a while now), remaining male roaring:

Maybe beginning of the end of Masungulo era in Balule reserve. 

These 2 males, initially known as Sark males in Klaserie, stormed the reserve back in 2021, pushing legendary remaining Machatons out.

Over the years, they earn reputation of "bad boys", as they where very agressive males, killing (and eating) numerous lions in the area.

Any good pictures of older Masungulo male? (I struggled to find any good ones).
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The deceased Masungulo male
Photo credit: Pondoro Game Lodge

*This image is copyright of its original author
12 users Like T I N O's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(06-08-2024, 01:15 AM)T I N O Wrote: The deceased Masungulo male

When did he die? and how?
3 users Like afortich's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(06-08-2024, 06:38 AM)afortich Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 01:15 AM)T I N O Wrote: The deceased Masungulo male

When did he die? and how?

He just disappeared. He was losing condition in recent months.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Gavskrr Offline

Wasn't it this male that a few years ago was in very bad shape after a dispute with unknown lions/pride? If I'm not mistaken, he had been struggling to recover since that time.
3 users Like Gavskrr's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2024, 08:40 AM by afortich )

(06-08-2024, 07:28 AM)Gavskrr Wrote: Wasn't it this male that a few years ago was in very bad shape after a dispute with unknown lions/pride? If I'm not mistaken, he had been struggling to recover since that time.

Not 100% percent sure but I believe this boy has a brother and they were doing ok.
They even consumed a subadult male that they killed, not long ago. And they're very savage, they killed Lagertha's mother.
3 users Like afortich's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2024, 02:18 PM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Fixed spelling error )

All four cubs sired by the Young Giraffe male with the Monwana breakaways are still alive! Not sure how given the altercation with the Northern Black Dam males not long ago. Read that the Giraffe male was nearby but no signs of the Limping Monwana male, unfortunately.

9 users Like Mwk85's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Holy cow what wonderful news. I was very down because I thought they were 100% dead ( maybe the Limping male ended up as "bait" which allowed the rest to escape ), I had only seen a few sightings of these cubs but fell in love with them immediately, so adorable and their poor father powerless to protect them against the 4 BDM is just way too sad.

Glad they are alive but things don't look good, it was a miracle they have made so far, if the mothers and father can't shift their territory somewhere else, the BDM will eventually kill them.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-08-2024, 08:05 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Holy cow what wonderful news. I was very down because I thought they were 100% dead ( maybe the Limping male ended up as "bait" which allowed the rest to escape ), I had only seen a few sightings of these cubs but fell in love with them immediately, so adorable and their poor father powerless to protect them against the 4 BDM is just way too sad.

Glad they are alive but things don't look good, it was a miracle they have made so far, if the mothers and father can't shift their territory somewhere else, the BDM will eventually kill them.

I certainly hope that the fate you described is not what has befallen the limping Monwana Male. At this stage, he is literally helpless, unable to protect and defend himself, that description paints a terrible scene, that I do hope is in no way true.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Contributor

Northern BDMs with Avoca pride.

4 users Like afortich's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

The Limping Monwana Male is on borrowed time, anyway.  If he was taken out, maybe they did him a favor because he would have just slowly starved to death.  The lionesses were not having him around and he couldn't feed with them.  I guess they got extra protective after the cubs came and see him as a liability now.....
3 users Like Cath2020's post

Mwk85 Offline

River Pride breakaways and the core of the River Pride had an encounter with one another 

4 users Like Mwk85's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-09-2024, 09:00 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: River Pride breakaways and the core of the River Pride had an encounter with one another 

Are these young males younger sons of Hosi and Socha?

Or the same ones we saw before? Because those looked older with bigger mane, and didnt they left the pride already?
2 users Like Tr1x24's post