There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United States Mohawk Offline

(07-26-2021, 08:58 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 08:52 PM)Mohawk Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 08:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 07:40 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The two white lionesses of the Giraffe pride and the three white cubs at Walkers River Camp
Photo credits: Wayne Donaldson, October, 2014.

*This image is copyright of its original author

I am assuming all of these white lions are dead now, as the only three living today, to my knowledge, are Casper and the two Birminghams. 2014 wasn't so long ago, given possible life spans of females, not to mention these small cubs.

I don't know what happened to the cubs, but I think one of the females was killed by the Mbiri Boys.  She was caught in the middle of a scrap between them and another coalition.  It's been a while so my memory is fuzzy, but it was either the Ross males or maybe the Mapozas.  Either way, they're unfortunately all dead.  You're right about Casper and the two Birminghams being the only two left in the wild.

That's what I thought, thank you! Also, welcome to WildFact, we look forward to your contributions.
You're welcome and thank you! 

I don't know if you were following lion dynamics in and around Timbavati back then, but it was an interesting time around 2017-2018.  I remember seeing a picture of one of the Trilogy Males with a chunk of his face missing.  I think they lost a battle to the Ross Males.  I'll see if I can find the picture.  Maybe one of the other members with a better memory can provide some details.  I wouldn't mind  a walk down memory lane. :)
1 user Likes Mohawk's post

(07-21-2021, 04:50 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The smaller-maned Mbiri male patrolling the Timbavati river in Kruger National Park. He was seen 5+/- km from the Tamboti camp turn.
Photo courtesy of: Mohammed Kathrada

He's looking pretty good.  Do you have any with a side view?  I'm wondering if his elbow hair came back.  He used to have a really nice mane (minus a couple of spots on the top, lol)
2 users Like Mohawk's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(07-26-2021, 09:09 PM)Mohawk Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 07:40 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The two white lionesses of the Giraffe pride and the three white cubs at Walkers River Camp

I am assuming all of these white lions are dead now, as the only three living today, to my knowledge, are Casper and the two Birminghams. 2014 wasn't so long ago, given possible life spans of females, not to mention these small cubs.

I don't know what happened to the cubs, but I think one of the females was killed by the Mbiri Boys.  She was caught in the middle of a scrap between them and another coalition.  It's been a while so my memory is fuzzy, but it was either the Ross males or maybe the Mapozas.  Either way, they're unfortunately all dead.  You're right about Casper and the two Birminghams being the only two left in the wild.

That's what I thought, thank you! Also, welcome to WildFact, we look forward to your contributions.

I don't know if you were following lion dynamics in and around Timbavati back then, but it was an interesting time around 2017-2018.  I remember seeing a picture of one of the Trilogy Males with a chunk of his face missing.  I think they lost a battle to the Ross Males.  I'll see if I can find the picture.  Maybe one of the other members with a better memory can provide some details.  I wouldn't mind  a walk down memory lane. :)

I started casually around the end of 2018, and got more heavily interested the following year. Random YT video popped into my feed about Big Mak and Pretty Boy, and I simply haven't been able to stop learning about these creatures since. Still remember the video, as it kept referring to PB as The Phoenix. Ross males are currently involved in one of the most puzzling scenarios I have read about, with BYM, very confusing situation. I have not seen that image you refer, so would be great if you do come across it.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The cubs were killed by the Trilogy males when they started taking over. One adult lionesses was killed by the Mbiri males and the other died from an injury caused by buffalo.
3 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One of my Facebook memories - The bigger Mbiri male

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(07-26-2021, 10:40 PM)Timbavati Wrote: One of my Facebook memories - The bigger Mbiri male

Even then, look at the mass in his shoulders. Such a massive boy, and yet when I see images of them, it is his brother who has a more ominous and intimidating appearance.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-26-2021, 09:24 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 09:09 PM)Mohawk Wrote:

I started casually around the end of 2018, and got more heavily interested the following year. Random YT video popped into my feed about Big Mak and Pretty Boy, and I simply haven't been able to stop learning about these creatures since. Still remember the video, as it kept referring to PB as The Phoenix. Ross males are currently involved in one of the most puzzling scenarios I have read about, with BYM, very confusing situation. I have not seen that image you refer, so would be great if you do come across it.

Another blast from the past 2016, when the then two Trilogy males fought the two younger Ross males over mating rights to the Avoca pride... Photo credits: Johan Smalman

7 users Like Timbavati's post

(07-20-2016, 05:53 AM)Gamiz Wrote: The before and after photos of the Trilogy male and the Ross male fight. Originally i thought the Ross male did not receive any new scars from the fight. But looking at the photos it must have been one epic fight between the two of them.
Credits to Johan Adolf Smalman

Trilogy male

Ross male aka Tyson Junior

@BA0701, I was wrong about the dates.  It was actually still 2016.  The Avoca-Giraffes were nosing around.  The Mapozas had just emerged on the scene.  Mabande the Survivor was still hanging on.  The Thanda Impis were going strong.  The Ross males weren't even in their prime yet and the Trilogy Males were at the end of theirs.  It was an exciting time for lion dynamics. 

Looking back, one thing that really bums me out is that the Zebenine Pride (then known as the Ross Breakaways) didn't have any stability then and still don't to this day.  All of their cubs were killed by either new males taking over or bigger prides.  It's down to one lioness.  I haven't seen an update about her in quite a while.  I hope she will leave the area and find a better territory. 

I saw your other post referencing the situation with the Ross Males and the BYM.  It is miraculous and dumbfounding.  I figured they would kill him if they ever caught him again, and now they're eating together?!?!?  I guess the Ross Males are as shocked as we are at the cajones on that guy, lol.  I'm glad they didn't kill him, though.  Maybe it will become a Mapoza/Xikukustu situation. 

And how about DM Avoca hanging out with a nomadic young lion?  It'd be cool if that was the start of a Mohlabetsi situation.  Interesting times these are.  Not quite as chaotic as 2016, but still...
2 users Like Mohawk's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-26-2021, 11:06 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 10:40 PM)Timbavati Wrote: One of my Facebook memories - The bigger Mbiri male

Even then, look at the mass in his shoulders. Such a massive boy, and yet when I see images of them, it is his brother who has a more ominous and intimidating appearance.

I couldn't be more agree. Here another memory of the smaller Mbiri male 6 years ago. How times flies!

5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-26-2021, 09:14 PM)Mohawk Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 04:50 AM)Timbavati Wrote: The smaller-maned Mbiri male patrolling the Timbavati river in Kruger National Park. He was seen 5+/- km from the Tamboti camp turn.
Photo courtesy of: Mohammed Kathrada

He's looking pretty good.  Do you have any with a side view?  I'm wondering if his elbow hair came back.  He used to have a really nice mane (minus a couple of spots on the top, lol)

Indeed. He is looking in pretty good shape. I'll share a recent image of him from side profile.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Super Moderator

(07-26-2021, 10:00 PM)Potato Wrote: The cubs were killed by the Trilogy males when they started taking over. One adult lionesses was killed by the Mbiri males and the other died from an injury caused by buffalo.

Wow, very sad indeed. 5 extremely rare lions wiped out in a matter of 7 years. At least we have three currently to admire. Thank you for the response @Potato , my friend.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Since you mentioned the Zebenine pride, she was seen mating with Skorokoro last year. His daughter was killed by the River pride or the Nharhu males they were really tough with the territorial patrol...
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

2 of the Vuela males

5 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-27-2021, 06:23 PM)Potato Wrote: 2 of the Vuela males