There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-19-2021, 02:52 AM)Potato Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 02:10 AM)Timbavati Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 12:30 AM)Potato Wrote: Lions seen at Kings Camp. The male is Sumatra. Idk what pride lionesses are those tho. Probably it is Giraffe pride even through Kings Camp is a bit out of their normal terrytorial range. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

They were seen a couple of times in Kings camp, so, an habitual home range for the Sumatra and Hercules males. They even were seen in the north of Thornybush up way with the northern boundary with Timbavati region.

Yeah, I was talking about Giraffe pride, not Hercules/Sumatra. It is normal that males coalitions are moving over bigger arena than a pride of lions do so I am not suprised to see Sumatra male in Kings Camp, tho I would be a bit suprised to see Giraffe pride there.

I see, As far I remember the Giraffe pride used to spend a lot of time there with the Black dam male.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

This is an old talk with James about the death of the Black dam male (at that time some guys were mentioning the Monwana males as the author of his death) So, I asked him, if the Monwana males have in fact killed him
Image not for sensitive viewers

6 users Like Timbavati's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-19-2021, 03:02 AM)Timbavati Wrote: This is an old talk with James about the death of the Black dam male (at that time some guys were mentioning the Monwana males as the author of his death) So, I asked him, if the Monwana males have in fact killed him

Its an old debate.. No evidence that Monwanas where involved, except some ranger (or idk who) said that he was finished by Monwanas, because apperantly there where tracks around the carcass,..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-19-2021, 03:05 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 03:02 AM)Timbavati Wrote: This is an old talk with James about the death of the Black dam male (at that time some guys were mentioning the Monwana males as the author of his death) So, I asked him, if the Monwana males have in fact killed him

Its an old debate.. No evidence that Monwanas where involved, except some ranger (or idk who) said that he was finished by Monwanas, because apperantly there where tracks around the carcass,..

An old debate but helpful for new members that are joining in WildFact. I received a very interesting and amazingly information about the BDM scull. I will post it when guys confirmed it
8 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The smaller-maned Mbiri male patrolling the Timbavati river in Kruger National Park. He was seen 5+/- km from the Tamboti camp turn.
Photo courtesy of: Mohammed Kathrada

11 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The bigger Mbiri male on a stroll outside Orpen Camp in Kruger National Park
Photo credits: Elize Roets

11 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

The River Pride started the week with their usual wanderings before they were found with a zebra kill not too far from Nkhari Homestead.  The male lions were absent (our trackers located one of them after their activities in camp the night before), but this didn’t stop the lionesses from successfully defending their kill against the two Sark Breakaway lions that arrived on the scene in the morning.  In the afternoon we had a wonderful sighting as the River Pride got chased off the kill by an elephant bull determined to show them just who is boss in these parts of the Greater Kruger!  Once the bull lost interest, the pride returned to feed, only to be met by around fifteen hyenas that wanted their share of the spoils.  Fortunately, the three River lionesses managed to keep them at bay and the hyenas soon settled down not far from the carcass.

The next day the two Nharhu males had joined up with the pride and we spent time with them in the evening as they headed to Marco’s Dam for a drink.  That night the pride passed Safari Camp and headed off towards Machaton Dam before once more completing their circuit and heading back south.  They ended the week fat-bellied and drinking at a pan just south of Nkhari.  It is good to see the pride getting some more regular meals as they had been struggling a little of late.

The Sark breakaways were around for a couple of days this week in the central regions, and the young male’s limp is getting much better. The same cannot be said for the limping Nharhu male who is really struggling with his leg since chasing the Sark and Western Pride lions away from a dead giraffe almost three weeks ago.  Despite this handicap, we found tracks for the limping male pursuing the scent trail of the Mayambula Pride off our southern boundary one morning!  It is the third time that the Mayambula’s have popped in to drink before leaving on the exact same route in a little over a week and a half.  Whether the Nharhu male caught up with them and if so, just how far he chased them remains to be seen.  Selfishly, I hope he tired before he found them. An encounter such as that could keep the Mayambula Pride away from us for a long time if they don’t feel safe in their old territory.  There were also sightings of a couple of male lions further to the west, but with good lion sightings close to camp, our guides didn’t venture that far to see them.
8 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

A Timbavati update 

The Nharhu male (Skorokoro) was seen mating today with one of the Mayambula females at Tanda Tula
7 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-24-2021, 03:22 AM)Potato Wrote: Tanda Tula update

The River Pride started the week with their usual wanderings before they were found with a zebra kill not too far from Nkhari Homestead.  The male lions were absent (our trackers located one of them after their activities in camp the night before), but this didn’t stop the lionesses from successfully defending their kill against the two Sark Breakaway lions that arrived on the scene in the morning.  In the afternoon we had a wonderful sighting as the River Pride got chased off the kill by an elephant bull determined to show them just who is boss in these parts of the Greater Kruger!  Once the bull lost interest, the pride returned to feed, only to be met by around fifteen hyenas that wanted their share of the spoils.  Fortunately, the three River lionesses managed to keep them at bay and the hyenas soon settled down not far from the carcass.

The next day the two Nharhu males had joined up with the pride and we spent time with them in the evening as they headed to Marco’s Dam for a drink.  That night the pride passed Safari Camp and headed off towards Machaton Dam before once more completing their circuit and heading back south.  They ended the week fat-bellied and drinking at a pan just south of Nkhari.  It is good to see the pride getting some more regular meals as they had been struggling a little of late.

The Sark breakaways were around for a couple of days this week in the central regions, and the young male’s limp is getting much better. The same cannot be said for the limping Nharhu male who is really struggling with his leg since chasing the Sark and Western Pride lions away from a dead giraffe almost three weeks ago.  Despite this handicap, we found tracks for the limping male pursuing the scent trail of the Mayambula Pride off our southern boundary one morning!  It is the third time that the Mayambula’s have popped in to drink before leaving on the exact same route in a little over a week and a half.  Whether the Nharhu male caught up with them and if so, just how far he chased them remains to be seen.  Selfishly, I hope he tired before he found them. An encounter such as that could keep the Mayambula Pride away from us for a long time if they don’t feel safe in their old territory.  There were also sightings of a couple of male lions further to the west, but with good lion sightings close to camp, our guides didn’t venture that far to see them.
Really great to see the Sark pride back in the area, they have been spending time in theTimbavati main road
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The two white lionesses of the Giraffe pride and the three white cubs at Walkers River Camp
Photo credits: Wayne Donaldson, October, 2014.

8 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-25-2021, 08:07 PM)Timbavati Wrote:

Really great to see the Sark pride back in the area, they have been spending time in theTimbavati main road

Hopefully they will stick in the arena for good. I am worried however that returning Myambula pride will push River pride back further north west into Tanda Tula and then River pride will push Sark breakaways away. I hope Sark males will start mating with Nharhu males ealier then that. In such case River pride will not have Nharhu males back up in chassing Sark pride and being 4 females strong Sarks should hold their own and be able to stick in the arena. It would be great if we would have 3 growing prides near Tanda Tula in form of Sark breakaways, River and Myambula prides.
2 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(07-25-2021, 09:18 PM)Potato Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 08:07 PM)Timbavati Wrote:

Hopefully they will stick in the arena for good. I am worried however that returning Myambula pride will push River pride back further north west into Tanda Tula and then River pride will push Sark breakaways away. I hope Sark males will start mating with Nharhu males ealier then that. In such case River pride will not have Nharhu males back up in chassing Sark pride and being 4 females strong Sarks should hold their own and be able to stick in the arena. It would be great if we would have 3 growing prides near Tanda Tula in form of Sark breakaways, River and Myambula prides.
Let's see how the lion dynamics develop in the next months. Skorokoro is doing a good job keeping the Sark breakaway pride away of the area. I hope he could sired some cubs in the Mayambula pride...
1 user Likes Timbavati's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-25-2021, 08:10 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The two white lionesses of the Giraffe pride and the three white cubs at Walkers River Camp

I am assuming all of these white lions are dead now, as the only three living today, to my knowledge, are Casper and the two Birminghams. 2014 wasn't so long ago, given possible life spans of females, not to mention these small cubs.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

United States Mohawk Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2021, 09:34 PM by Mohawk Edit Reason: changed two to three left in the wild )

(07-26-2021, 08:49 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 08:10 PM)Timbavati Wrote: The two white lionesses of the Giraffe pride and the three white cubs at Walkers River Camp

I am assuming all of these white lions are dead now, as the only three living today, to my knowledge, are Casper and the two Birminghams. 2014 wasn't so long ago, given possible life spans of females, not to mention these small cubs.

I don't know what happened to the cubs, but I think one of the females was killed by the Mbiri Boys.  She was caught in the middle of a scrap between them and another coalition.  It's been a while so my memory is fuzzy, but it was either the Ross males or maybe the Mapozas.  Either way, they're unfortunately all dead.  You're right about Casper and the two Birminghams being the only three left in the wild.
1 user Likes Mohawk's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-26-2021, 09:22 PM)Mohawk Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 08:49 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

I don't know what happened to the cubs, but I think one of the females was killed by the Mbiri Boys.  She was caught in the middle of a scrap between them and another coalition.  It's been a while so my memory is fuzzy, but it was either the Ross males or maybe the Mapozas.  Either way, they're unfortunately all dead.  You're right about Casper and the two Birminghams being the only two left in the wild.

That's what I thought, thank you! Also, welcome to WildFact, we look forward to your contributions.
1 user Likes BA0701's post