There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-04-2021, 01:18 PM)Potato Wrote: A feast of Kings...

What may have been disease, injury or even possibly predation, a 15 year old elephant bull has given this super pride, the Klaserie River pride, a colossal meal. With close to 30 lions, they have largely consumed this adolescent elephant, possibly close to four tonnes, within 72 hours...the circle of life continues.

*This image is copyright of its original author

One of the most successful duo of the last decade in Klaserie
3 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-04-2021, 08:20 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-04-2021, 01:15 PM)Potato Wrote: Sumatra and Hercules males

What a fine specimens of lions these 2, hope we will get more sightings like this, theres very few videos with them. 

Hercules is beautiful boy, but Sumatra is a monster, he has that "dont mess with me" vibe, like Mohawk Avoca, Tyson Ross etc.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Actually the Sumatra male is the less dominant of the two
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

This is one of the Monwana pride lionesses. She was fathered by the notorious Black dam male. Born in late March 2016 she was born on a litter of three. 2 males and 1 female. She was with three females and the Avoca pride was not far east of them 
Photo credits: Ziggi Hugo

5 users Like T I N O's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Hey

The skybed, orpen and caroline prides, are they all the same or different prides? Or are some of them breakways of the others? And which one became the Birmingham Pride?
4 users Like Tonpa's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

This is one of the three notorious Timbavati males at Kambaku property. He was part of a coalition of three big and healthy males. He has been around for many years, he was been on Caroline and Kambaku farm and further south as far as Birningham and Combretum farms. He also mated with the Avoca, Giraffe and Birmingham prides. 
These three males are the father of the famous Machaton males who reign in the Balule Nature Reserve
Photo credits: EV Photography

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The same Timbavati male photographed on Hermansburg in 2010/12. 
Photo credits: Ziggi Hugo⁠

7 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-05-2021, 05:25 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Hey

The skybed, orpen and caroline prides, are they all the same or different prides? Or are some of them breakways of the others? And which one became the Birmingham Pride?

The Caroline is a breakaway of the Skybed pride. There were 6 females in 2011. There was a split and the other part of this pride are in fact the 3 lionesses which given birth to the Skybeds males.

Over the years, a lot of prides were known as the Orpen pride by the simply fact of spend time in that area. For example,  the Birmingham pride is known as the Orpen pride by some guys. Skorro pride was referred as the Orpen pride by Tintswalo rangers and the Kingfisherspruit pride was known as Orpen pride back in the 90's consisted of more than 30 lions and they hardly ever crossed into Timbavati. From 1994 to 1998 there was a pride of 23 lions around the Ngala traverse and the Birmingham around Wildlife college to the west. So, mostly of these current prides should be related each-other in the past
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The larger Mbiri male on a territorial patrol - What a true monster of male lion...
Photo credits: Joe James

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Avoca pride of lions sighted over the last couple of months in Timbavati - First pics - the sub-adult lioness and male fathered by the Mapoza male - Last pic - the sister of the Xikukutsu males fathered by the Ross males.
Photo credits: Ziggi Hugo

7 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A Timbavati update - Two male lions were sighted in the heart of the Riverpride territory. They have badly injured to Xitaya and spent the whole last night chasing Skorokoro, and the rest of the pride. Special thanks to Cathan Moore Bush Maniac for the update!

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(08-05-2021, 09:35 PM)Timbavati Wrote: A Timbavati update - Two male lions were sighted in the heart of the Riverpride territory. They have badly injured to Xitaya and spent the whole last night chasing Skorokoro, and the rest of the pride. Special thanks to Cathan Moore Bush Maniac for the update!
That's very concerning...
3 users Like lionuk's post

Gavskrr Offline
magVarseVE

(08-05-2021, 09:35 PM)Timbavati Wrote: A Timbavati update - Two male lions were sighted in the heart of the Riverpride territory. They have badly injured to Xitaya and spent the whole last night chasing Skorokoro, and the rest of the pride. Special thanks to Cathan Moore Bush Maniac for the update!

sad news, they were expanding their domain a lot lately hope it wasn't fatal
4 users Like Gavskrr's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2021, 12:32 AM by T I N O )

It has been confirmed by Chad Cocking, the Skorro males were seen in the heart of the Riverpride and badly injured to the Nharhu male
5 users Like T I N O's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

The skorro males, what year were they born?
2 users Like Tonpa's post