There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

Two members of the Sark Breakaways popped up on our western boundary one afternoon, and the Giraffe Pride with the Hercules and Sumatra males were seen on a zebra kill in the far west.  The most interesting news of the week was the finding of the 16-strong members of the Mayambula pride in the far eastern reaches of the Timbavati.  Their presence of the Mayambula’s in this area might account for the “mystery pride” in the east that resulted in injuries and the death of the oldest River Pride lioness!  Time will tell if they make their way back into their old territory.

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Klaserie Drift update

As with last month, sightings of our handsome males, Hosi and Socha, have been sporadic during June. The boys have been busy expanding their territory and investigating new mating opportunities now that there are none to be had currently with our busy females. The River pride have also been pushing the boundaries of their core territory surrounding Misava and have challenged our guides to track them down in difficult terrain. However, their hard work has often paid off with many thrilling sightings for our guests on safari. Over June they were spotted feasting on meals of impala, warthog and kudu as they rely on frequent, smaller kills to keep their little ones fed. The dynamics of our magnificent super-pride are ever-changing and we watch with a keen interest on what the future holds for these impressive cats.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Africa on Foot Klaserie update

https://www.sundestinations.co.za/blog/directorschair-the-vuyela-male-lions/

Over the past year, our frequency of blog posts took a nosedive. But now we’re back, and we owe everyone a bulk load of updates from the camps and destinations within our coveted portfolio. In addition to picking up where we left off with blogging, we’ve updated our blog with a fresh look. To kick off the relaunch of the Sun Destinations blog we are going to introduce a series called the #DirectorsChair. One of our directors, Courteney Blunden, is going to write a monthly blog post about the happenings in the Klaserie. It’s always nice to read an informed piece from an expert guide who has his roots firmly entrenched in bushveld life. First up, straight from the director’s chair, is an update about the Vuyela male lions of the Klaserie Private Nature Reserve.

Courteney’s update is below.

The Vuyela males have been making their dominance in the Klaserie more and more prevalent over the last eighteen months. We have been very privileged to spend a lot of time with them over the last year, albeit without our usual international guests. The coalition of five males also has a sister who has been with them since we first noticed the pride in our area.

The name Vuyela means ”to return” or  “to come back”, and what a return it has been so far. The Vuyela’s seem to be making the sections of Klaserie Private Nature Reserve, Ross, Joubertshoop, Fife, Charloscar their territorial home. From time to time they venture further afield into the Timbavati.
The last five months have seen an interesting dynamic play out. A small pride of five lions has been seen regularly crossing into the Klaserie from the Timbavati and interacting with the Vuyela Pride. This small pride seems to have been made up of two adult females, one sub adult female and two sub adult males. It has been suggested that these five individuals could be a breakaway group of the Giraffe Pride but these facts have yet to be confirmed.

In addition, over the last month, the Vuyela Pride has been joined by two adult females. The two young males have not been seen again and may have been displaced from their family unit by the five dominant Vuyela males. Young male lions will run away from territorial adults and begin the toughest most deadly stage of their lives. The young lions will venture off into the wilderness, grow and learn as a team, hoping to one day take over a territory of their own. This is how genes are spread through the wild ensuring that only the strongest survive.

Unfortunately, a sub adult lioness was found dead close to Africa on Foot camp. She sustained bite marks to her neck and spine area, and had a few light injuries on her legs. It is thought that the young female was still trying to stay with what may have been her mother or her aunts, and got in between the adult females and males while they were mating. She is too young to mate successfully and – unfortunately – when it comes to a pride taking over, overspreading of genes is what a male lion desires most. What may have started off as rough mauling by the two big males, may have resulted in her being killed. The big males were found at her carcass, still approaching and licking her body in a confused manner.

The loss of any lion is always a sad occasion and to witness it is even worse. The silver lining here is that the Vuyela Pride has two more adult females and the chances of the pride’s growth is now becoming a reality.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-04-2021, 10:23 PM)Potato Wrote: Africa on Foot Klaserie update

So the killed lioness was the daughter of the females that Vuyelas tookover and they killed her, and not their sister?
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-04-2021, 11:38 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-04-2021, 10:23 PM)Potato Wrote: Africa on Foot Klaserie update

So the killed lioness was the daughter of the females that Vuyelas tookover and they killed her, and not their sister?

So it seems from that update.
4 users Like Potato's post

Gijima Offline

Are there two Giraffe “breakaway” prides now... one with the Monwana Male and one with the Vuyela Males? That seems strange... and then Hercules and Sumatra with the main pride.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-05-2021, 02:02 AM)Gijima Wrote: Are there two Giraffe “breakaway” prides now... one with the Monwana Male and one with the Vuyela Males? That seems strange... and then Hercules and Sumatra with the main pride.

THere is sadly not much updates about this pride to definitelly judge that. I do not believe Giraffe pride is split into two groups, both moving around Kambaku lodge and I believe same females which are seen with Monwana male are seen with Sumatra and Hercules males as well. I do not know tho how many members did that pride had when it was ruled by Black Dam male and if potentially some members breakaway when the Monwana males ousted Black Dam male. Also those females migh be from Giraffe pride, but might be not. Blog say only that it might be Giraffe females, not that those are definitelly Giraffe pride females.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-05-2021, 02:25 AM)Potato Wrote: THere is sadly not much updates about this pride to definitelly judge that. I do not believe Giraffe pride is split into two groups, both moving around Kambaku lodge and I believe same females which are seen with Monwana male are seen with Sumatra and Hercules males as well. I do not know tho how many members did that pride had when it was ruled by Black Dam male and if potentially some members breakaway when the Monwana males ousted Black Dam male. Also those females migh be from Giraffe pride, but might be not. Blog say only that it might be Giraffe females, not that those are definitelly Giraffe pride females.

Giraffe pride is around 10 members strong, so they are definetly in gruops, as they are always seen as 4-5 members.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

A Timbavati update  - Hercules and the Sumatra males were sighted this morning in the north of Thornybush way up near the Northern boundary with the Timbavati.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-08-2021, 03:23 PM by Potato )

One of the Birmingham breakaway young males at Shindzela.

7 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Is there a breakdown of the ages of these boys? I know one is nomadic is around YBMs age? Any idea on the rest
1 user Likes Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(07-08-2021, 07:31 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Is there a breakdown of the ages of these boys? I know one is nomadic is around YBMs age? Any idea on the rest

There are male subadults born approximately between September 2018 and April 2019. 
Currently there are two oldest cubs, both males, born early April 2020 to YBM's sister
Three Younger cubs born in mid Decemeber 2020
Two Youngest cubs born Feb/March 2021
2 users Like lionuk's post

Gijima Offline

(07-08-2021, 07:31 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Is there a breakdown of the ages of these boys? I know one is nomadic is around YBMs age? Any idea on the rest

They are born between 2016- early 2018 but no one knows the exact months. When the subadults were seen in 2020 there were no 1 year olds so no one was born in 2019.. I know people have been posting pictures of breakaway males online, and there they have also been seen on live drives so hopefully we can ID all seven males at this point and guess their ages.
2 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-08-2021, 11:55 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-08-2021, 09:34 PM)Gijima Wrote: They are born between 2016- early 2018 but no one knows the exact months. When the subadults were seen in 2020 there were no 1 year olds so no one was born in 2019.. I know people have been posting pictures of breakaway males online, and there they have also been seen on live drives so hopefully we can ID all seven males at this point and guess their ages.

1 is oldest male, he is around the age of BYM, then there are 3 born in early 2018,and then 3 around the age of white male and his brothers from Birmingham pride, prob a bit older. 

Oldest is sired by Avoca/Giraffes, 3 youngest by Ross males, 3 middle ones im not sure, they could be by either, but i think they are by Avoca/Giraffes.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline

Looking into this more I don’t think that’s accurate. The thing is, we don’t actually know the ages of the sub adults for sure so the best we can do is speculate.  

I remember this conversation I had when the Breakaways were seen on WE a while ago and this is what @"Timbavati" said:

I remember hearing this somewhere else too, how the breakaways actually avoided the Ross males early on. I’ve seen lots of photos of Stompie with the previous coalition but it’s strange how they only started being seen with the Ross Males in 2020?

Also why didn’t they Ross Males kill their cubs? 

There’s just a lot of unanswered questions so it’s probably best to research this more unless someone already has and now knows for sure what the situation was with them back then.
3 users Like Gijima's post